Skip to content

Playing as male charname for the first time

Hmm... So, which romance is recommended...Aerie or Jaheira? I want to do harpers hold quest, could I turn Jaheira down at the beginning?

Comments

• PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    Jerry Lee Lewis *Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On* - or do you think Liberace is the greatest piano player ever?
    If your answer is Liberace, light up the candles and romance Aerie.
    AerakarOrlonKronsteen
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Turning down anyone automatically locks their romances. And in Aerie's case she'll become all lovely-dovely with Haer'Dalis when in the same party. Out of the original romances I like Viconia's the best. Although Jaheira's is certainly both the longest and most developed. Then there's Neera. but well... she's Neera. :p

You may also want to check out on romanceable NPC mods. Like the de'Arnise Romance mod for instance if you wish to flesh out Nalia quite a bit.
    profanitywarningAerakartbone1Erinne
  • profanitywarningprofanitywarning Member Posts: 294
    Or enable multiple romance and have everyone in your party and someone you meet along the way.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    I found the Vicinia romance to be the most interesting.

I had never played as male charname (still don't) and couldn't believe how much I found out which you have no indication of if you play female.
    AerakarZaghoul
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Jaheira is my personal favorite, being the most developed. But man, those romance timers on her are BRUTAL. There is at least one instance of her timer being in REAL TIME, and one instance of needing to rest outside.
    Aerakartbone1Zaghoulrecklessheart
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,015
    Both Viconia and Jaheira are very well done for a male charname in my opinion. I think in the long-run you have gotta do both :)

Viconia's though for some reason really got to me. I still remember the first time I played it back in the early 2000's. I find it the most emotionally engaging.

Jahiera's though is the longest and with the most content. It is the better 'strategic' one for XP, content, etc.

Zaghoul
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985

I found the Vicinia romance to be the most interesting.

I had never played as male charname (still don't) and couldn't believe how much I found out which you have no indication of if you play female.

Viconia reminded me of an emotionally abusive person I once dated, so I am probably too biased against it to discuss it reasonably.

ZaghoulAerakarThacoBellNonnahswriter

She's just a bit bitchy.
    About par for the course if you went to an all girls school.

Which I did not. Not for lack of trying, mind you.

ThacoBellArctodusAerakarMontresor_SP
    Obviously. It takes a drow to be a real love interest. ;)

Anyhow, I always found it odd that all male romances in BG2 tend to be either elven (Aerie, Viconia) or half-elven (Jaheira, Neera) women. Not counting Dorn's here. Which is why my post also ended with the suggestion of NPC mods like in Nalia's de Arnise Romance case. At some point it just gets old dating those long ears. :p

Obviously. It takes a drow to be a real love interest. ;)

Anyhow, I always found it odd that all male romances in BG2 tend to be either elven (Aerie, Viconia) or half-elven (Jaheira, Neera) women. Not counting Dorn's here. Which is why my post also ended with the suggestion of NPC mods like in Nalia's de Arnise Romance case. At some point it just gets old dating those long ears. :p

Mods add quite a bit when it comes to romances - there are even some for those female players who do not dream of brrrr Anomen...

Just think of those young male devs in their early 20*s more than 15 years ago having to draft a romance in front of their PCs. Aerie was their dream come true.

The game has a nuch larger audience today including some of us who are a bit more grown up and with our real life experience meanwhile. Nalia, Ninde, Dace Linton, Amber and, and...
    Son_of_Imoen
    I don't know if you can use the blanket statement "Aerie was their dream come true". For one thing, it was the writers who wrote the text. Second, she isn't everyone's type, plenty of young men would find Jaheira or Viconia more to their tastes.
    ThacoBell
  • ChnapyChnapy Member Posts: 360
    tbone1 said:

plenty of young men would find Jaheira or Viconia more to their tastes.

Or Solaufein!
    Chnapy said:

Or Solaufein!

"Not that there's anything wrong with that!"

ArctodusSkatanMirandelNonnahswriter
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    tbone1
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,015
    Three elven male char-name romances is a good point @Kamigoroshi . I would have liked to have seen a Mazzy romance for the shorties instead of Aerie. But I guess that's what mods are for.
    KamigoroshiThacoBell

Anyhow, I always found it odd that all male romances in BG2 tend to be either elven (Aerie, Viconia) or half-elven (Jaheira, Neera) women.

I found it odd that all four of the romanceable characters in the original game were priests of some sort (cleric, cleric/mage, fighter/druid, fighter->cleric).

Aerakar[Deleted User]
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    tbone1 said:

I found it odd that all four of the romanceable characters in the original game were priests of some sort (cleric, cleric/mage, fighter/druid, fighter->cleric).

For some people, love from priests was all the love they ever knew. Tragic.
    Balrog99

For some people, love from priests was all the love they ever knew. Tragic.

Can confirm, grew up Catholic.

edited August 2017
    Reminds me more of Mony Python than anything, and I grew up protestant. :p
    Not like that would be a valid reason for making all of BG2's love interests into sermon loving priests either way.

The original developers probably either envisioned for players to mostly play macho warriors in shiny armors or skulking bhaalspawns in the shadows. Otherwise there would have been at least some non-casters amongst them. Heck, even Haer'Darlis who was planned to be an alternative to Anomen is a caster. Which only strenghtens my assumption.
    tbone1

Reminds me more of Mony Python than anything, and I grew up protestant. :p
    Not like that would be a valid reason for making all of BG2's love interests into sermon loving priests either way.

The original developers probably either envisioned for players to mostly play macho warriors in shiny armors or skulking bhaalspawns in the shadows. Otherwise there would have been at least some non-casters amongst them. Heck, even Haer'Darlis who was planned to be an alternative to Anomen is a caster. Which only strenghtens my assumption.

Now I know why Jan Jansen is there. He was planned as the lover man for female protagonists, the alternative to Anomen. Another unfinished business revealed.
    KamigoroshiAerakartbone1wolfdwarf
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Aerakar said:

Three elven male char-name romances is a good point @Kamigoroshi . I would have liked to have seen a Mazzy romance for the shorties instead of Aerie. But I guess that's what mods are for.

Shame that Mazzy romance is still not possible. Come on modders, its been ~18 years!
    Montresor_SPAerakarwolfdwarf
    ThacoBell said:

Aerakar said:

Shame that Mazzy romance is still not possible. Come on modders, its been ~18 years!
    Any modder who has tried that was slain by Korgan. He's jeleaus like that.
    Montresor_SPAerakarSkatanwolfdwarf
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    So, enjoying your Male Privilege? o:)
    wolfdwarf
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    edited August 2017
    The Jaheira romance has always been hard to imagine for me. The whole scene with discovering Khalid's butchered corpse in Chateau Irenicus and knowing them in BG1 as the first "Port-in-a-storm" after the murder of Gorion is just a bit too much to overcome.

I really feel like she needs a year or two on her own with the Harpers for grieving and carefully thinking out the next stage in her process. She has been so much a part of a fairly consequential marriage partnership, with Harper activities to boot. Too many memories of the complicated personality of Khalid, the would-be warrior always bravely struggling to get beyond his innate timidity....

She has also always seemed to me to be closer to 35+ yrs old, while Aerie seems like early 20s personality and Viconia 25-30 with a fairly broad experience.

Viconia is more interesting, partly because I have rarely included her in my Neutral-Good playthroughs of BG1. Her BG2 dialogues are a huge improvement!!

Now I need to think about romance in BG2 with one of my female Charnames...!! Anomen---Naah! Haerdalis, possibly. Jan Jansen!!?? Now THAT could be....kinky!! Lolol.
    [Deleted User]Aerakarwolfdwarf

She has also always seemed to me to be closer to 35+ yrs old, while Aerie seems like early 20s personality and Viconia 25-30 with a fairly broad experience.

Odd. To me their age in human years varies greatly from those numbers. My intuition tells me that Jaheira is 40+ in human years, a veteran just like Corwin. While Viconia seems wordly enough to account for 35-ish. Neera is the typical hip 20 years old youngster with a freshly aquired driver license (aka Wild Magic). But Aerie probably just reached the enrollment age for entering high school.
    [Deleted User]Aerakar

Now I need to think about romance in BG2 with one of my female Charnames...!! Anomen---Naah! Haerdalis, possibly. Jan Jansen!!?? Now THAT could be....kinky!! Lolol.

Use some mods - Angelo (yes, THAT Angelo), Haldamir, Adrian, Arath, even Yoshimo. Not to forget Sarevok in ToB.
    Still waiting for the Tiax Romance mod for my daughter of Bhaal.
    AerakarverlaineKusel