Skip to content

Multiplayer

What are the benefits of using multiplayer? I don't have any friends who play BG2 but are there server-exclusive items you can only aquire thru trades with other players? If not, any other online features not seen in single player?

Also, are modded players allowed to be imported? Or is it just use of the joinable NPCs?

Comments

• ChnapyChnapy Member Posts: 360
    Uh, people I guess? people really are the only multiplayer exclusive from what I know.
    From my (admiteddly very limited) own multiplayer experience, multiplayer games tend to be not so much about completing the game and more about fooling around with other people.
  • rosetylerrosetyler Member Posts: 37
    Is it a large pool of players to fool around with? heh
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    @rosetyler - one of the benefits for yourself (as you paly with v1.3.x) is that you can create multiple characters. For instance, you may have wanted to create a couple (lets calll them Laurel and Hardy) to be your brightest. You can still pick up NPCs along the way... but you have your plan for he two. Any NPCs will only interact with the first PC created. You could also create the entire 6 members to play the game with but interaction between party members will be nil (except inside your head).

You don't have to be connected to the internet to play a multiplayer game... just add these lines to your baldur.ini:
    'Multiplayer', 'Last Protocol Used', '2',
    'Multiplayer', 'Player Name', 'Gus',
    'Multiplayer', 'Session Password', '',
    'Multiplayer', 'Session Name', 'Gus'

Of course you can change Gus to whatever is more suitable... :)

If you don't want to add this lines, then you will need to be connected to a network for the initial protocol setup, then you are good to play whenever without connection. Different of course if you are actually playing with other players!

There are no additional items for trades etc.

This game behaviour is default in v2.x where you can create a party instead of single character.

Gus
  • Mush_MushMush_Mush Member Posts: 476
    rosetyler said:

Is it a large pool of players to fool around with? heh

There's no "lobby" so its impossible to see how many people are online and willing to play. All you can see are games that are currently active and if they are password protected or not. It's current design seems geared more towards people who already know each other setting up a game its not easy to put together a party of randoms unless you make a game by yourself and see who joins.

It's a shame really...I'm sure there are plenty of people like me on the look out for a group to join but are blind to each other. If there was a simple chat/lobby would make a world of difference.
  • rosetylerrosetyler Member Posts: 37
    edited August 2017
    I'm not one for interactions/interjections between characters/myself as much as most players are I think (Imoen is a great example why, she never stfu). However creating a power group sounds fun.

Thanks for all the info you fine people!

edit: spelling