Skip to content

Fighter dualed to /Thief or /Mage and when to do it?

I am starting up a new party, probably mixed/ evil. My protagonist might be a Kensai Fighter dualed to thief or mage. So if other players out there have had the experience with this format, which is preferable to dual, the thief or mage? Or simply a thief ( since there is not a really great evil thief).
The party will have Korgan as the tank, Jaheria as secondary , my fighter, Edwin, Viconia and Dorn, the leader fighter.
And when to dual the fighter? I think it would begin as a level 7 fighter. I do not want to dual too soon and not have good fighter stats or for that matter, too late to build good thief or mage stats.
One great thing about the BGEE series, one can mull over things like this till one's brain sizzles, right?

Comments

• BorekBorek Member Posts: 513
    IMO for playing in a full party you have 2 optimal points, level 13 which is when you max your attacks per round and level 17 when you get your best saving throws. There's a million more Experience required for 17 Vs 13, if you have an XP cap removal mod then it's not a big problem, although it'll hurt if you go Mage and need to hit 18th to unlock the Fighter again. If you do not remove the XP cap then i think 13 is by far the best bet.

If you have XP cap in place then 1,250,000 for 13 fighter will let you get 1,750,000 into Mage or Thief, which is 14 mage/17 thief by the end of SoA and 6,750,000 gets you 28 Mage/39 thief.

If you push it to 17th Fighter then that's 2,250,000 into Fighter, which means only 750,000 for SoA XP cap which is 12 Mage/13 thief which won't get you primary class unlocked and will make stuff like Hell Trials somewhat challenging in so far as you'll probably need to use scrolls and items a fair bit. 5,750,000 is 25 Mage/36 Thief. 25 Mage Vs 28 Mage is a difference of 1 8th and 1 9th assuming you use unmodded spell tables.
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    Kensai duals are solid party members if you're looking for a hardier version of a singleclass mage (or thief). However, if you're looking for strong melee DPS coupled with melee staying power then you might instead consider a multiclass fighter/mage/thief. I'd argue FMTs dominate kensai duals at low levels (when sleep lets you instakill your foes), mid levels (when stoneskin and mirror image enable you to take essentially no damage), and high levels (when whirlwind attack gives you triple the APR of a kensai dual).
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Level 9 for BG2 in practically every scenario. Higher level duals are just not worth the sacrifice for what you gain in the end.
  • KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 627
    7 for earliest possible without sacrificing much, get half an attack and decent hp
    9 for all levels of high fighter hp
    13 for another half attack

I prefer 7 or 9, because i find the half attack from 13 isn't worth the wait - especially if you're going mage, which will give you improved haste and tensers transformation.
    Don't need 9 for the HP either, because with stoneskins, Protection from weapon/element, you'll be near indestructible anyway..

So I'd say 7.. and drop kensai and go berseker for immunity to imprisonment etc, kensai bonus is worth bugger all, it makes no difference.
    Berserk however, remains the best kit ability of all from Candlekeep to Bhaal's throne room.
  • DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508
    Level 7 gets you an extra half attack per round. Level 9 gets you enough stars to get both 5 stars in a weapon type and 2 stars in a weapon style as well as 9 levels of fighter HP. Level 13 gets you another half attack per round. With SoD you can get level 9 easily before BG2 even begins, and can get most of the way back up to your previous level. If you decide to wait till level 13 you will have a much longer period of time to wait until you reach level 14 as a thief or mage.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Level 9 over 7 is a trivial wait at BG2 experience levels. It's a minor gain, but also only a very minor cost.

13 on the other hand is a MASSIVE cost for a moderate gain. Just not worth it imo.