Skip to content

Top 5 weapons for backstabing in BGII EE

Hi,

Can you help me and post your Top 5 weapons for backstabing? I dont want to use Staff of the Ram

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    I'm a bit confused, why are you asking for the best choices when you're not interested in using the best choice?
  • majbermajber Member Posts: 53
    I dont want use it becouse roleplay reasons.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,318
    Staff of Striking is a good choice for backstabbing, though the use of charges mean you probably won't want it for general combat. If you can't be bothered switching then the Staff of Rhynn is decent enough.

Celestial Fury does good damage, with the chance of disabling an opponent as well.

The Gnasher Club can be nice to use on spell-casters due to it's continuing damage over time.
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,024
    The long-sword Angurvadal is decent, especially if you have below 22 strength, but not as good as the staves and Celestial Fury katana mentioned above in my opinion. Also, with scimitars you have a decent backstabbing blade with Spectral Brand.

Honorable mention perhaps could go to the trusty Dagger of Venom from the Neera quest line in the early game against mages for the same reason as Gnasher club.

I can't think of anything else deserving enough to be in a 'best of' list.
    edited August 2017
    What matters first and foremost for backstab is the portion of the damage that actually gets multiplied, i.e. base damage plus static modifier, but no on-hit bonus damage. Most backstab weapons are 1d6, 1d8, and 1d10 (katana) - and it's a mere 1 point of average damage difference between them (3.5 vs. 4.5 vs. 5.5). Enchantment-level bonuses are added to that, as are flat, non-elemental damage bonuses. Those are rare; it's why Staff of the Ram is so good, because it has a huge +10 static damage to get multiplied.

But there's another weapon with insane base damage: Black Blade of Disaster. It's 2d12+5 - considerably more damage even than Staff of the Ram (17 vs. 13.5). Of course, using it is no small feat.

Going down the list, almost any of the ToB +5 weapons will do. Angurvadal has a STR bonus, but keep in mind that STR damage is not multiplied, just added at the end. The differences between the various choices are marginal. Pick whatever you're not using elsewhere, and/or fits your existing proficiency points best.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    The 'Tweet of Trump' +6.
  • ZagaciousZagacious Member Posts: 63
    Blunt weapons can work a little better because less monsters have AC bonus vs blunt while a lot have AC bonus vs slashing and others. Other than that it's really a matter of choice, whichever 1H weapon you want to use. Staves are probably best though and you can get Staff of Rhynn +4 really early in the game.
  • fatelessfateless Member Posts: 330
    tbone1 said:

I ran the numbers, but I need to check the code before I'm certain. However, I think they are

5. Gossip
    4. Sarcasm
    3. Emotional abuse
    2. Either large name-brand American political party
    1. That b*tchy brunette in Human Resources.

But let me run a few more simulations to be sure

2 should actually be most large name-brand political parties anywhere. Not just the ones we have here in the U.S. if your looking to broaden your simulations past regional levels.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    fateless said:

tbone1 said:

I ran the numbers, but I need to check the code before I'm certain. However, I think they are

5. Gossip
    4. Sarcasm
    3. Emotional abuse
    2. Either large name-brand American political party
    1. That b*tchy brunette in Human Resources.

But let me run a few more simulations to be sure

2 should actually be most large name-brand political parties anywhere. Not just the ones we have here in the U.S. if your looking to broaden your simulations past regional levels.
    Actually, I agree entirely, but I didn't want any ugly American accusations flying around.

• unavailableunavailable Member Posts: 268
    The minimal damage from black blade of disaster is on the shitty side though. i liked it a lot past time i ran with haer dalis. Guy could have fought any two dragons at the same time and win
    edited September 2017

The minimal damage from black blade of disaster is on the shitty side though.

True, but irrelevant. For every low roll there is a high roll. Making choices based around expected values is the only reasonable course here.

Not that there's anything forcing you to be reasonable, of course. As long as you're informed, feel free to make whatever choice you like.