Skip to content

Leaving the Underdark With 29 Hit Points.......

How do you think I will do?

In the latest episode of my messed up install, I am currently a level 29 Archer with 29 hit points.
Edwin, however is a level 24 mage with 1,186 Hit Points.

LOL.

Somewhere in Ust Nathar I leveled up from level 27, I did notice something odd about the info on that screen but of course ignored it. And carried on only being slightly confused as to why all the drow in House Jellat were hitting me so hard.
Put it down to "bloody archers and their fading off of power" that is often mentioned on here. Chugged some invisibily potions and hid in the corner during any fights.

It was only after being transformed back by Adalon when I actually took some notice because, without being injured, the little portrait was suddenly filled up with red.

tbone1ThacoBellKuronaAerakardunbar

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    lol indeed, what sort of bug is this?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    This is a magical run you have here.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    I blame Garrick
    lelag200Aerakar
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366

I wish I could take some screen shots.

I just checked again and Edwin actually has 11 thousand and 1 hundred and 86 hit points.
    They can hardly fit in the little round box.

I've just spoken to Elhan so have a bit of a wait to see if they actually work in game.

If they do, I have a "supertank", in your face all you shield bearing and armour wearing warriors.
    This squishy mage is going to take some beating.

Meanwhile my charname is having a major attack of the vapours and has become a commited pacifist. And is suggesting we pursue Irenicus through the international courts and get a UN resolution before taking any direct action against him, (which of course will mean we do absolutely bugger all).

She has taken the position that having a soul isn't all that and if it means that much to Irenicus, maybe we should just let him get on with it.
    Twenty Nine hit points, it makes a person consider their own mortality in a far more immediate way.

Sounds like all you need to do is arm Edwin with a quarterstaff and go to town. It's easy to lay low in the back when you're an archer!
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    Out of curiosity, how many years does it take to fully heal while resting for an injured Edwin?

Fun bug though, I'm curious to see your 29 HP Charname try to finish the game.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305

I just checked again and Edwin actually has 11 thousand and 1 hundred and 86 hit points.

I'm looking forward to the screenshot immediately after Sendai has used harm on Edwin >:).
    semiticgoddess
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Kurona said:

Out of curiosity, how many years does it take to fully heal while resting for an injured Edwin?

I don't think (unfortunately) that's going to happen.

Major obstacle ahead coming up very, very soon.

Edwin Romance.

So, solo archer with 29 hit points going after Bodhi playing SCS/insane.
    Let's do it, lol.
    ThacoBell
    Just to add, if Edwin's hit points were reflected in game, Bodhi would kill herself trying to kill him surely?

Like a tic over doing it.

Not a pretty thought.
    But kind of amusing.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    edited September 2017
    Kurona said:

10.2155 years (if at 1 HP) that's quite the coma

lelag200Skatanprocco
    edited September 2017
    @Kurona and @sarevok57

Here's a bit of info that might be only obtainable because of this mess.

Overnight in an inn staying in a "noble" suite and wearing the ring of Gaxx, Edwin regained 338 hitpoints.

He lost them fighting werewolves, some trolls, a couple of wyverns, some yuan ti, two or three genii,(lost count) and the group of mercenaries you meet in the North Forest. With the help of mordy swords, a planateer, the odd skellie, invisibility conferred by staff of the Magi, cloudkill from out of sight, Abi Dazim's, fireballs and whatever else took my fancy.

All at once.

Charname hid.

And then we found a scroll of "timestop".

I think I might head to WK rather than take on Bodhi for now.
    But there's a drawback there as well as far as I know. Last playthrough found the maze had been randomised, God knows why and he/she's not telling. Got lost, very, very lost.

So as it's the next bit we have to do and I have no idea whether it will be all mixed up again, it could be tricky.
    And no trap removal.
    sarevok57
    I find myself looking forward to new comments in this thread far more than I should. I think a 1 hp/level character could be some serious RP fun and power game anxiety.
    ShikaoThacoBell
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    Sneaky Edwin! Seems his search for power finally succeeded, but somehow at the expense of the Bhaal spawn. (I wonder whether he was aware that he'd have to do all the fighting now, though..)

Amusing thread! I enjoyed reading it.
    Grond0tbone1UnderstandMouseMagicAerakar
    jastey said:

Sneaky Edwin! Seems his search for power finally succeeded, but somehow at the expense of the Bhaal spawn. (I wonder whether he was aware that he'd have to do all the fighting now, though..)

Amusing thread! I enjoyed reading it.

It's got to happen one day.
    You can't keep repeating the same mistake with the Nether Scroll without figuring out how to access the awesome cosmic powers it's reputed to contain.

What's surprising is the randomness of the total HP.
    Charname HP match level, you can perhaps see some convoluted path for that mistake.
    But 11,186 HP?
    Perhaps it's a secret message from the ancients, why would HP even go up to that amount and there not be a cut off point?
    Where has it come from, what messed up path/string/game trickery?

And this is why computers/games and what goes on behind what happens on screen will forever be to me something akin to alchemy/magic/mysticism.
    Based on logic and binary what have you...my arse.
    ThacoBellAerakar
    I've managed to take a screen shot (partly to prove I'm not a raving lunatic and just on a wind up).

Who knew there's a button on the keyboard which says"prt scrn"?
    Amazing what you can learn.

So now I have a tiny, weeny picture sitting in the folder that unsurprisingly is called "screenshots" (it's almost like TPTB wanted to be helpful which makes a change).

So now what?
    How do I get that from there to here?
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    How do I get that from there to here?
    Easy - just left click the file in windows explorer and drag onto the comments window - it will insert at the point the mouse cursor is at.

First though, to avoid annoying others due to slow loading times, you might want to use a program like Windows Paint to convert the .bmp format the game uses to take screenshots into .jpg format (reducing file size by over 90%). You may also want to crop the picture or add additional text etc, though most people just post the screenshot unadjusted.

If you're posting a lot of screenshots at once, even in .jpg format, you might want to consider putting them inside a spoiler tag - again to avoid page loading times getting too long.
    UnderstandMouseMagicJuliusBorisov
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    So your Edwin is calling everyone "simians" while being King Kong himself.
    Oh, irony.
    UnderstandMouseMagicprocco
    OMG, it actually worked.

There you go, not a crazy after all.

Thankyou @Grond0 even managed the jpg thing.

This is from after the resurrection. I was kind of thinking being killed by Bodhi might sort things out.
    Grond0
    Artona said:

So your Edwin is calling everyone "simians" while being King Kong himself.
    Oh, irony.

I think all things considered that Edwin would prefer you to refer to him as a God.
    And you'd better be careful and exhibit enough bowing and scraping otherwise he could get very angry.

(Edwin runs off to engage Minsc and the rodent. Now who's kicking butt Mr. "I'm so strong and wield a two handed sword"? As he often said, One Day, One Day.... Anomen and all the other bloody Paladins are next on the list...)

Quite a scary proposition. A virtually immortal evil wizard with 6 level 9, 8 level 8 and 9 level 7 spell slots just at the moment. Plus all the gear.

I think a new challenge for this broken run would be to actually try and get him killed.
    ThacoBelltbone1procco
    EXPLETIVE, EXPLETIVE, EXPLETIVE, EXPLETIVE
    (that one beginning with "F" and ending with "K")

Watcher's Keep, Tanarii room.

No chance of negotiating, charname is chaotic good (why the hell am I chaotic good? Must have seemed a good idea at the time or is it because I'm a ranger?)

Anyway, long story short.
    How do you kill these buggers with a mage?
    Charname has to get involved and one hit and she is dead.
    Plus they can see through invisibility.
    I have emptied a spell book on their sorry arses, nothing seems to work

The best I have done so far is to get it down to two galawhatsits and the tanarii near death.
    Don't even ask how long that has taken.

Need a break and have to make some jam. Bit random but spent the day blackberry picking.

Answers on a postcard please.
    tbone1
  • BorekBorek Member Posts: 513
    edited September 2017
    That room is a huge pain for a mage yeah, lots of highly magic resistant demons with some elemental immunities and plenty of spell like abilities of their own. Rangers must be Good aligned so you're screwed on that front, lol.

Unsure if you can pre-buff before it, can't remember if the room before is magic dead or not, if you can then i'd strongly advise adding a Spelltrap on top of a spell immunity Abjuration on top of the usual defensive plethora, then whack up a Prot.Magic Weapons just before you port in, start with a Time Stop, then Imp.Alacrity and Lower Resistance 2x on each of the most threatening Demons then ADHW to kill them and hopefully at least damage a few of the others, when the TS ends summon a Fallen Planetar and chuck up a Blue Fireshield, a minor globe and use Skull traps to hopefully thin the herd until the Planetar is able to win the melee battle.

If you have Chain contingency you can pre-load 3x ADHW's to trigger on enemy sighted, i mean sure many resists will be seen, but 3 going off is likely to kill at least some and it's essentially a free hit right at the start.
    semiticgoddess
    @Borek

The room before is "dead magic" .

Timestop then LR.
    Can do that but there are 5/6 Galawhatsits plus the Tanarii. Even if I had enough couldn't get them off in time because they attack on sight, on mass.

I've used 3 in a row ADHW, no damage, comet, no damage, dragon breath, no damage (did get the succubus with one of them,)

So far about the only success I have had is getting up a planateer and a genii (bottle) just to give some room. Getting away and summoning Mordy swords.
    But once the planeteer succombs, nobody is getting any damage. So have to have my charname (with only 31 hp) whirlwind attack with Foebane to help the planateer. But time it wrong and it's game over.

Then there's some other things as well as memphits, don't even know what they are.
    How well is Edwin set up to buff into combat before you hit the room? I have used Aerie to do this from time to time, but her cleric spells and abilities probably make it more viable. Maybe you need to adjust his spells and rest first.
  • BorekBorek Member Posts: 513

@Borek

The room before is "dead magic" .

Timestop then LR.
    Can do that but there are 5/6 Galawhatsits plus the Tanarii. Even if I had enough couldn't get them off in time because they attack on sight, on mass.

I've used 3 in a row ADHW, no damage, comet, no damage, dragon breath, no damage (did get the succubus with one of them,)

So far about the only success I have had is getting up a planateer and a genii (bottle) just to give some room. Getting away and summoning Mordy swords.
    But once the planeteer succombs, nobody is getting any damage. So have to have my charname (with only 31 hp) whirlwind attack with Foebane to help the planateer. But time it wrong and it's game over.

Then there's some other things as well as memphits, don't even know what they are.

I'm assuming you have mods installed, no idea what Galawhatsits actually are, as such it's impossible to give any advice to fight. In my game the maximum i have in that room is around 20 various demons, some of which are invisible imps, the Nasty ones are Glabrezu (stuns) and the Succubus depending on items.

Without mods then ADHW will still affect the Demons because none of them have immunity to magic damage and they have varying amount of magic resistance but i don't think more than 60% even for the toughest ones.

Potions should work for pre-buffing since they do not count as spells and you can chuck them up in the Dead Magic zone. You can also pre-load your various sequencers/contingencies with Buffing spells.

I don't know what mods you are using nor which creatures are actually giving you the problems, so very difficult to give advice.

I usually play on max (not LoB) difficulty solo, but it's rare i'll have a straight Mage unless it's dual-classed from something. That room is nasty for sure using just spells, but by that point you have access to a huge variety of items. I tend to play Evil so i have a large advantage in that i can talk to the demon and fully pre-buff before attacking, but with smart use of the various sequencers and potions it should be relatively easy.

I'm assuming Edwin has Amulet of power and Robe of Vecna for the cast speed reduction, they are absolutely required for encounters like this, if you can get off an Imp.Alacrity then a lot of the spells you will be casting will be instant, definitely need to use the pause on spell cast to maximise the casts.
    semiticgoddess
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @tbone1

Preceeding room is "dead magic" room, no buffs, no potions work.

@Borek

Sorry, you have the name right, Glabrezu, I can never remember what they are called. Then they are Maureshi, Succubus, Quasits and Memphits and Tahazzar the demon.

In the DM room even the potions don't work, so no prep at all.
    Edwin can't use Amulet of power but has RofV.
    Mods, a broken SCS. Unintentional on the most part, for instance the maze has been randomised (I'm currently having to note down where any of the doors lead) and that I didn't ask for. And for some reason, HLA are no longer listed as 9th level spells in the book but appear when you go to select spell. So only 1 planateer, comet, dragon's breath, Imp. Alc. once per day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.