Skip to content

Starting levels for ToB question...think I'm way too high lvl?

Hello folks, new user on these forums but not new to the game. I just did my first complete series run through into ToB (usually stop at the end of SoA) and I'm starting ToB right now..my main is level 30 and the rest of my 6 person group is 23ish I believe. I did all the quests in SoA including Watchers Keep at around level 16 but now I feel wayyyy over powered.

I guess my question is...is level 30 PC and 23ish group way too high for the beginning of ToB? I mean I spawned dragons just to see HOW powerful my main was, and he solo'd them easily. Without Bhaalspawn power, within a few seconds...I just don't want to play ToB for the first time ever and it be too easy. So...let me know and thank you!

Comments

• BorekBorek Member Posts: 513

Hello folks, new user on these forums but not new to the game. I just did my first complete series run through into ToB (usually stop at the end of SoA) and I'm starting ToB right now..my main is level 30 and the rest of my 6 person group is 23ish I believe. I did all the quests in SoA including Watchers Keep at around level 16 but now I feel wayyyy over powered.

I guess my question is...is level 30 PC and 23ish group way too high for the beginning of ToB? I mean I spawned dragons just to see HOW powerful my main was, and he solo'd them easily. Without Bhaalspawn power, within a few seconds...I just don't want to play ToB for the first time ever and it be too easy. So...let me know and thank you!

ToB is pretty Linear with most of the areas having 1 or more "Boss" type battles where tactics are way more important than levels by and large. You'll blast through the trash battles for sure, but you would probably do that at half the level, Boss battles however will be somewhat challenging even with your relatively high levels.
    Grumsarevok57
  • Thank you very much! I'll give it a try.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Revel in the power.
    Be the Bhaalspawn you were born to be.

@Borek has it right but you will still find some tricky challenges. Crank the level up to insane of course as well.

Although TOB gets a bad press, it's well worth playing and it's very satisfying to finish the saga.
    ArctodusStummvonBordwehrAerakar
  • @UnderstandMouseMagic I've been playing on insane, I'm a berserker/cleric, currently with Valygar dualing foebane+5(or CF) and Blackrazor, Mazzy with Gesen bow and Wave/elemental halberd(forgot the name), Aerie with Club of Detonation+5/+4 sling, Edwin with Robe of Vecna, Staff of Magi/Staff of The Ram+5, and Imoen with FireTooth crossbow and Dagger of the Stars +5.

All the magic is fun but too much, but I have a romance with Aerie so I can't drop her (even though she's my worst), Edwin is just awesome, and Imoen for her thief skills. So I'm at a loss of who to drop for Sarevok. Mazzy and Valygar have their little thing going on so I'd hate to split them up, but I think I'm going to drop Mazzy anyway this run. Thoughts?
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    That's a very good team and all well equipped.

Do you have to take Sarevok this run?
    You don't need him (and in the past I have found him unimpressive when you have a well equipped high level group, always seemed to be lagging behind).

I'd suggest seeing your party through to the end to experience their epilogues and keeping Sarevok in mind for any future runs and, from the start in SOA, plan for his inclusion.

One other thing, it's completing WK that has left you with the dilemma of being OP. If in future you want to keep the challenge going, leave WK (other than perhaps the first level for Foebane/amunition belt/ect. )until TOB. WK in TOB fits much better (as in the original design) and gives a welcome break to just how linear TOB can be.

It's the same problem with Durlag's Tower in BG, that was designed for after Sarevok was defeated but of course we all do it for the loot and then find battles get too easy.

Grond0ThacoBelltbone1Aerakar
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    If Aerie is the "weakest" something has gone horribly wrong. Mage/Clerics are obscenely good.
    Kuronatbone1sarevok57
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    edited September 2017
    ThacoBell said:

If Aerie is the "weakest" something has gone horribly wrong. Mage/Clerics are obscenely good.

Aerie is okay, but she needs some equipment and buffing to be obscenely good. :)

It doesn't seem to matter many times how overpowered my group is, if I am careless in some areas in ToB they can die pretty quickly. You can still only do one thing at a time, you just have more options.
    UnderstandMouseMagic
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @mf2112 Aerie is good precisely for, and because of, her mind boggling spell selection. Casters are the least equipment reliant characters.
    Grummf2112broshimo
  • broshimobroshimo Member Posts: 19
    edited September 2017
    I spend more time than I'd admit thinking of what to put into Aerie's sequencers. By default, her Minor Sequencer is Chant+Bless, but I can also do Chant+Doom, Doom+Blind, Doom+Web, Doom+Spook... Once we get into Spell Sequencer and Spell Trigger, good lord.
    JuliusBorisov