Skip to content

Should I complete all side quests before chapter 4?

I heard that once going into chapter 4... you cannot complete side quests since you cannot go back into Athkatla until the end game. So because of this.... this is kinda bad since I haven't even recruited most NPCs in the game and I would like to set my party up for the Irenicus fights that does occur (I heard like 2 of them happen or some crap.)

I have a save at like chapter 3 but it won't make much sense overall so I'm guessing that chapter 2 was really meant for the PC and his/her party to stock up for the main quest (which is actually very good in terms of role playing BG2.) Normally I switch off between main quests and side quests so I wasn't used to these changes really. So should I just complete every little thing I have to do (side quests, NPC side quests and etc.) or will it be safe to go play some of the main story or does the game force you to play the story from chapter 4 to the end?

Also one other thing... I feel like BG2's doesn't have as much content as BG1... I mean in BG1 I was swamped with side quests and it took me a while too with the exploration, unlike BG2 where I feel they toned down on the side quests (I think BG2 as somewhere around 25 side quests whereas BG1 had 44 side quests)

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    A lot of the sidequests in BG1 took like 5 min to complete. There are fewer overall in BG2, but they tend to be much more complicated endeavours. I'd BG2 has far more content than BG1, which was mostly empty space. As for your question, you can do either. You shouldn't be able to cripple yourself by accident.
    inkblowoutAerakar
  • inkblowoutinkblowout Member Posts: 49
    ThacoBell said:

A lot of the sidequests in BG1 took like 5 min to complete. There are fewer overall in BG2, but they tend to be much more complicated endeavours. I'd BG2 has far more content than BG1, which was mostly empty space. As for your question, you can do either. You shouldn't be able to cripple yourself by accident.

Ya I get what you mean, the quests are bigger normally. But I was just concerned because I have beaten many side quests so far and yet I didn't explore too much whereas BG1 was ambient but it paid off finding npcs and quests.

But as a role player would it make sense to finish all quests than move on to chapter 3? because I have heard that once coming back to Athkatha it gets really hectic and I heard it would make more sense to move along with the plot and finish the game...
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    The role player aspect of this is very deeply discussed in this topic
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/65174/bg2-is-not-really-in-an-urgency-spoilers#latest

You may come to some conclusion about which view suits you more.
    If you read a bit you will find arguments for chapter 2 but also considerations about the later part.
    inkblowoutThacoBellAerakar
  • WrathofreccaWrathofrecca Member Posts: 98
    I believe the game has 7 chapters. Once you finish chapter 3 you cannot return to Athkatla and must progress the story line until you complete chapter 5 at which point you can go back and finish anything up but honestly by then this momentum builds up and I never finish outstanding quests unless it happens to involve killing dragons that remain alive. All in all, I should do all your quests before heading off to save Imoen unless you specifically want her for your play through, then rush to save her, but know that journey will be rough.
    Aerakar
  • inkblowoutinkblowout Member Posts: 49

The role player aspect of this is very deeply discussed in this topic
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/65174/bg2-is-not-really-in-an-urgency-spoilers#latest

You may come to some conclusion about which view suits you more.
    If you read a bit you will find arguments for chapter 2 but also considerations about the later part.

Thank you for that I was reading for a bit, I figured chapter 2 was meant for CHARNAME to ready up while irenicus and Imoen chill in spellhold. Irenicus shows up in your dreams in chapter 2, then nothing happens until chapter 3 when he escapes spellhold and then chapter 4 is when he is back into plan.

It all makes sense really.... side quests are there to build your gold up so you can get ready.

I guess that what makes Baldur's Gate 2 so good infact. Everything (side quests and npcs.) all have a purpose to the main story, nothing feels out of place nor just put aside. Everything you do in terms of side quests will help you for your journey to save imoen.

So overall I'm sure chapter 2 was meant for CHARNAME to do what he must to get ready, and sure he can hurry but nothing happens to imoen when CHARNAME is taking his sweet time. Maybe the cowled wizards doing some perverted stuff to imoen but nothing so serious.
  • WrathofreccaWrathofrecca Member Posts: 98
    Chapter 3 begins the moment you accept the Shadow Thieves or Bodhi but it doesn't end until you finish either quest chain. This is important because many people accept the Shadow Thieves for the Amulet of Spell Power, power spike, and then continue as normal. Anyhow, there is so much critical loot from side quests that most people finish all of that.
    sarevok57AerakarGreenWarlock
  • ReliantReliant Member Posts: 30
    Definitely complete the side quests before heading off to Chapter 4. You want your characters as strong as possible for the Underdark.
    Kilivitz
  • Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Post edited by Yulaw9460 on
    tbone1
  • ReliantReliant Member Posts: 30
    I do all the side quests except Kangaxx and The Twisted Rune and the Limited Wish Adventure before starting Chapter 3.
  • DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508
    I try to put my average XP for my party at around 1.2 million by the time I get to Imoen. That way, when I console all our XPs to match, I don't feel too bad.
  • BorekBorek Member Posts: 513
    There's a few quests you need to complete in Ch2 or 3, otherwise they will not be offered after you return with Imoen. By and Large these are all quests that involve the Graveyard.

Korgan, Edwin and Hexxat will either disappear or have quests unable to complete if you wait that long. Nalia may have issues if you haven't had her dad's funeral beforehand too.

None of them are game changers, especially for a good party, but it's worth bearing in mind.
    broshimo
  • daz1805daz1805 Member Posts: 6
    I like the idea of a vampire in my party , Hexxat is a really good character