Skip to content

Cavalier weapon dilemma

SikorskySikorsky Member Posts: 402
I can't decide what weapon should my character wields. He uses a shield so no dual-wielding possible. The dilemma is between Purifier, Foebane and Angurvadal. If role-played the Purifier is the obvious choice but the problem is when it comes to upgrading, I will take Keldorn with Carsomyr and there is only one eye of Tyr. Foebane is a great alternative for Purifier but is it good for a paladin? Larloch's Minor Drain is a little bit evil to me but on the other hand Captain Fflar of Myth Drannor (former owner) alignment is lawful good. Angurvadal sets STR to 22 after the upgrade, but my base STR at this moment would be 21 so is it really worth it? Tell me your opinion, what would you choose?
Post edited by Sikorsky on

Comments

• PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Foebane is one of the best weapons in the game, and totally worth using. "undead, shapeshifters, and extra-planar beings" are also extremely common, and against them it's even better than Crom Faeyr's 24-27 damage at 26-32 damage per swing (and normally at 21 strength it's still 20-26).

Angurvadal, meanwhile, is 18-28, giving it the same average damage as the Foebane against regular foes, without the healing, and you could be giving that to another character instead.
    ThacoBell
  • SikorskySikorsky Member Posts: 402
    edited November 2017

It looks like it's only demons and devils.

P.S. Cavaliers have +3 bonus to demons, devils, dragons.... Maybe Foebane is even better RP choice for Cavalier then Purifier... :o
    Post edited by Sikorsky on
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    If you plan on upgrading Carsomyr for Keldorn, I'd definitely recommend Foebane. Its abilities are very paladiny.
  • SikorskySikorsky Member Posts: 402
    BTW who would you pick for a teammates? Charname is girl so Anomen for romace, Keldorn is a must and there are 3 more spaces left.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Tactically?

Jan
    Aerie
    Neera

The three you have planned are pretty beatstick, more mages and some thief helps round that out, and all three are top tier ones at that.

Paladin-ly?

Aerie
    Imoen
    Rasaad

Yay for a team of Good people. And Anomen. Kind of lopsided, thiefwise, until you get Imoen back to barely scrape by.

Never-ever-ly?

Dorn - I think as a paladin you fall just for not killing him on sight.
    Hexxat - I think she causes cancer for being so awful in so many ways.
    Nalia - I know we're currently clearing out MY castle to save MY family, but let me complain about not helping the needy enough while we're here.
    Montresor_SP
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,295
    With Charname, Anomen and Keldorn you already have good melee potential. So I would add good or neutral aligned characters: someone with full arcane spellcasting progression (Nalia or Imoen), one thief for traps and locks (Nalia, Imoen or Jan).

So you are basically free to pick up your favorite characters otherwise. If you take Nalia or Imoen for both thiefing and magic then Korgan and Mazzy are a fun combination and cover some other weapon proficiencies. Korgan fits surprisingly well in many good parties.

Also Jan + Imoen/Nalia + anybody else you like is an option for some extra spellpower. Another similar option would be to take HD + Aerie (for HD & Aerie romance)+ Imoen/Nalia for lots of spellcasting potential.
    Montresor_SP
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    As Pantalion and Ammar have already pointed out, there are plenty of possibilities.

Story-wise, I'd pick Imoen. No goody-two-shoes paladin would leave little sis behind! She also covers your need for a mage and a thief. Add Jaheira who has her own reasons for helping you hunt down Irenicus, and as a Harper and old friend of Gorion for overseeing your rise to power. That leaves a slot for another mage, and I would pick Nalia for a good party. Neera and Jan are too chaotic and Edwin is just out of the question.

Powergaming-wise, I'd still pick Imoen but add Aerie so you have two mages, two clerics and enough frontliners to see you through. You can then rotate the last slot to do as many personal quests as possible and add Sarevok in ToB.
    StummvonBordwehrtbone1