Skip to content

Is Summon Invisible Stalker (Lvl 6) good enough to be taken as a Sorcerer spell?

I decide on taking Death Spell (insta-kills summons) , Protection from Magical Weapons (ultimate melee protection), True Sight (even though I have Keldorn in my party), and Chain Lightning (it's poor, but there's no other direct damage spells in this level) for my Sorcerer. I want to have a summoning spell for this level, but don't want to get the elementals since I'd have to first undergo a psychic contest, then it might go beserk, and finally because the duration is only 1 turn/level. Compared to that Invisible stalker is a loyal summon and lasts long (9 hours) though it's only a 8-HD creature. I've read somewhere on the forums that Invisible Stalkers are not really invisible and that's what's bothering me. Is that true? Also, are they good enough to be taken as a sorcerer spell?
While fighting some invisible stalkers during Rasaad's quest
I have found that these creatures have some amount of Magic Resistance. I don't know if that's too good, but if anyone can tell if they have any special benefits or not, and if they are a good choice, I shall be grateful.

Comments

• PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Checking Keeper, the summoned stalkers appear to have some form of invisibility (via an equipped Sandthief's ring), 30% resistance to all elements, 80% resistance to missile damage, 1 APR at 10 THAC0, and -6 AC (so -10 effective while invisible).

Not much to write home about, have you considered Nishruu?
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    Are your playing with Party and normal xp? If so, Not worth worrying about it. You already have 4 decent Picks, you get the 5th at Level 30. Probably not going to happen or matter.
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    Pantalion said:

Checking Keeper, the summoned stalkers appear to have some form of invisibility (via an equipped Sandthief's ring), 30% resistance to all elements, 80% resistance to missile damage, 1 APR at 10 THAC0, and -6 AC (so -10 effective while invisible).

@Pantalion Thanks a lot for the information. It seems they aren't that good as I had thought. But are you sure they don't have any magic resistance at all?

I was wondering whether I'd take Nishruu or Haksheashar? Anyways, are there enough mages vulnerable to their attacks to justify their selection? I mean do their spell-absorbing power penetrate through magical defenses?

For level 7, I thought about taking Project Image, Finger of Death, Limited Wish, and Mordy's Sword. Actually, I'm not quite sure about the 5th picks from each level. Any advice on that?
    Ammar said:

Are your playing with Party and normal xp? If so, Not worth worrying about it. You already have 4 decent Picks, you get the 5th at Level 30. Probably not going to happen or matter.

@Ammar Yes, I'm playing with a party consisting of Minsc, Jaheira, Keldorn, Aerie, Jan and myself.

If you are interested, I can tell you that I've removed the xp cap, if in case a situation comes when I get saturated with xp and can't progress further, since I've never played till the end as of now. Personally, I don't like it. But, I haven't tampered at all with the level progression tables. I don't know if I will reach level 30, but just in case, you know.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137

Pantalion said:

@Pantalion Thanks a lot for the information. It seems they aren't that good as I had thought. But are you sure they don't have any magic resistance at all?

I was wondering whether I'd take Nishruu or Haksheashar? Anyways, are there enough mages vulnerable to their attacks to justify their selection? I mean do their spell-absorbing power penetrate through magical defenses?

For level 7, I thought about taking Project Image, Finger of Death, Limited Wish, and Mordy's Sword. Actually, I'm not quite sure about the 5th picks from each level. Any advice on that?

Eh, for the Nishruu, mages seem happy enough to waste spells on them to no avail, so even if they achieve nothing but waste enemy spell slots, they've done their job as far as I care, though I'm pretty sure they pierce stoneskins as well.

Level 7: No Spell Sequencer? Malaison + Feeblemind + Feeblemind probably has a better chance of application than Finger of Death.
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    edited November 2017
    Pantalion said:

Level 7: No Spell Sequencer? Malaison + Feeblemind + Feeblemind probably has a better chance of application than Finger of Death.

@Pantalion Spell Sequencer allows you to store only upto level 4 spells, and Feeblemind is a level 5 spell, so what you say isn't a viable combination.

Besides, I plan on taking Spell Trigger (lvl 8) ultimately, as it allows storage of upto level 6 spells. Hence, spell sequencer would be redundant in my case.

And Greater Malison + Spook + Doom(s) [ST lowered by 4+6+2*n] by Aerie, followed by a Finger of Death will do the trick! ;)
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    No, it is a terrible spell. The summon has no real power, and I believe their only gimmick is they are invisible so they can not be targeted by spells: however, they have lackluster stats and are susceptible to death spell. Pick something that can be always useful like pro from magic weapons, improved haste, mislead, death, chainlightning/death fog, even true sight in a pinch.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320

Besides, I plan on taking Spell Trigger (lvl 8) ultimately, as it allows storage of upto level 6 spells. Hence, spell sequencer would be redundant in my case.

You are allowed both. You might want one for quickly re-establishing buffs for instance, while the other is used offensively.