Skip to content

Monk start first time ever question

After a decent pause playing IceWind Dale games, i have picked up Baldur's Gate EE. As monk has always been in my favorite picks for any D&D game classes, i will pick him.

Just a question for anyone who used monks in campaign - would there be a penalty anywhere in the game for picking up low charisma and intelligence?

I rolled a 90 and got myself 18/18/18/9/18/9

Is there any part in the game mission critical that woudl be a problem due to my CHA and INT being at 9?

What do you recommend?
JuliusBorisov

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    INT shouldn't affect you at all. CHA will determine how some people react to you and will change certain quest rewards. CHA, I believe also plays a part in item prices. Not as much as rep, but it is counted in the calculation. Oh and if you like to run mixed alignment parties, higher charisma reduces the chances of party infighting. It might hurt a little bit in the early game, but it won't cripple you or anything. If you have already started the playthrough, I wouldn't worry about starting again over it.
  • Artas1984Artas1984 Member Posts: 49
    edited October 2017
    Would you then recommend lowering INT to minimum and raising CHA to maximum instead?
  • malachi151malachi151 Member Posts: 152
    edited October 2017
    No, CHA is almost totally worthless. It only matters if you are soloing really, otherwise the CHA of your other party members is what matters. However I'm not sure why you have WIS at 18. There is no benefit for WIS for Monks. If it were me I'd raise INT and CHA to 10 and lower WIS to 16, but all in all it doesn't really matter much.

Keep in mind that there are 2 easy to get WIS tomes in the game and 1 of all the others, so you should be able to finish the game with +1 to all stats and +2 to WIS. The +1 STR for Monks is HUGE.

Monks are horrible early on, but of course they get much better in the late game. Monks are probably the single worst class in BG IMO, but they are still doable. They get quite good in BG2.

My only advice is if you want to pick up Rassad, do it right before you are about to enter Baldur's Gate, don't pick him up early. Having two monks for much of the game would be quite bad, but doing his quest is quite fun. I always pick him up after I do the Cloakwood Mines.
  • Artas1984Artas1984 Member Posts: 49
    edited October 2017
    A, i must have forgotten that WIS does not benefit monk's AC bonus in this game?
  • malachi151malachi151 Member Posts: 152
    In official D&D rules Wisdom benefits AC, but not in BG.
    semiticgoddessThacoBell
  • ValciValci Member Posts: 35
    i'd suggest putting an early pip in slings and using the monk as a ranged combatant. You will get better at melee as you gain levels and especially so in BG2.
  • SomnamSomnam Member Posts: 18
    Well if you want to import the monk to BG2:EE then you might have wanted to go for 11 (or 16) in int. Mindflayers will drain 5 int per lvl drain, so you survive 2 times with 11 int. This is in no way mandatory though.
    BelgarathMTH
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    9 is average. There shouldn't be any negative effects from that charisma except for a few rewards.

Intelligence is only needed when fighting mind flayers. Not a real issue either.

I'd personally go darts over slings. Better selection and effects.
    Aerakar
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    You need sufficient Int to read scrolls of protection, but you don't have to use these, and party members can cast them for you.

I like darts early for 3 apr, just rush to get the Gauntlets of Expertise for a big damage buff. Daggers are also good, 2 apr and Str bonus is pretty reliable.

Monk kits can also help, but imho the only time to bother with Stunning Fist is in BG1 when saves are low.
    Aerakar
  • Stupid_PunsStupid_Puns Member Posts: 66
    Personally, I've always been partial to daggers on a Dark Moon Monk. Love that Mirror Image for BG2/SOD, the ability Detect Illusion, and with daggers you can use Throwing Daggers then The Dagger of Venom for later. Put the other point in Single Weapon Style, and your later points into something like Long Swords/Scimitars, simply because in BG1 your fists won't be magical, and with the Long Sword at the end of Durlag's Tower, you'll be able to kill trolls with that fire. But you know... none of that matters seeing how you'll abandon all that once you hit level 10 because of those magical fists you'll get. Just an idea...
    Aerakar
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    For a monk you need Str (18) Dex (18) Con (16). After that the only other number to Hit is Int11 due to mindflayers. Due to stat increases you can safely start at 10.

Con18 is only useful if you use one cursed item, or if you are shooting for Con20 in BG2.

I personally like having a decent Cha on Charname. He is the one who gathers are a party around him for his quest. That speaks to being fairly charismatic.
    tbone1AerakarThacoBell
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 950
    In the adnd 2, monk were in the scarlet brotherhood book. There were no wisdom based ac.
    Wisdom based ac came from dnd 3, what makes monk MAD.