Skip to content

Negative Plane Protection

I have been wondering why negative plane protection does not work on Shadow, Shadow Fiends, Vampiric Wolves, and Spirit Troll special attacks? I thought all undead special attacks are negative energy based (ability drains and paralysis)?

Thought I would ask for thoughts on this.

Comments

• kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    The spell only prevents Level Drain and nothing else, as stated by it's description.
    Restricting it's effects more accurately was not possible (or at least practical) in the original games.

Lore-wise, neither Shadow Fiends or Spirit Trolls are undead, though Shadow Fiends are incorrectly labeled as undead in-game.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    I suppose the simplest way of looking at it is that what Negative Energy does to positive energy lifeforms (like humans) is drains their level.

While some creatures may be negative energy lifeforms, and may have some magical effect (hold, for example) this is not necessarily the negative energy itself, but some other kind of magic or effect interacting with them the same way as it would for any creatures or item, like the carrion crawler or the Answerer sword.