Skip to content

I actually never played the original game Neverwinter Nights

MakeAthkatlaGrtAgainMakeAthkatlaGrtAgain Member Posts: 132
edited November 2017 in General Discussions NWN:EE
I heard the story was really, really, really short and then it got old and it was mainly an online-only game for multiplayer. (These are what I heard, I never played it.) So maybe Beamdog fixed it up and added stories.

Also if you add stories, please have things focus on a perspective totally different than modern pop culture. Here's ideas from AD&D:
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/The_Way
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Shukenja
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Wu_jen

These are based on the Kara-Tur area of Faerun and never developed in video games.

Comments

• JidokwonJidokwon Member Posts: 395
    edited November 2017
    Neverwinter Nights is certainly known for the multiplayer aspect, but I'd say that, more so, perhaps, it is known for all of the user made content. https://neverwintervault.org/ hosts most of what you'll find. I can't think of any that are specifically from the Forgotten Realms off the top of my head, but there are a few good ones that I've played that are themed around the code of the samurai, eastern monks, and such that you can find at the Vault. Welcome to the community!
  • MordaedilMordaedil Member Posts: 56
    I can't even wrap my head around what you are presenting as an argument here. Different from modern pop culture in what way? Those are a bunch of classes and lore from Oriental Adventures.

What the heck? Could you put your thoughts together a tad more coherently?
  • wilshadewilshade Member Posts: 7
    For many of us, the beauty of NWN was, and is again (thanks to BD), is the Aurora tool set. Through that, an infinite number of adventures can be created. This includes modules for single players. This is one game that is truly only limited by imagination.
  • So there's lots of different user-made content add-ons, if I understand correctly. I wonder how much of this can be included into the Enhanced Edition, which probably means the company tracking down who made it (most people likely vanished) and getting authorization.
    That's why folks are asking about Neverwinter Nights Vault. Custom content was made by countless individuals and deposited there for all to use. neverwintervault.org
    neverwintervault.org

Either we will be able to use that or Beamdog will make a similar depository.
  • wilshade, essentially what any game company has to do in this situation is:
    1) Track down each mod maker.
    2) Get their permission in writing.
    3) Some of them will want a cut of the profits. If this is the case, then it might not be worth it as there is extra work to test each mod, then recode the mods, and make sure they all work together.
    Yes, if they intend for us to use The Vault. BUT, if they create a new depository, you won't have to wait long for customized content to be created. The NWN community was large, And, if even a fraction of the community returns to play here, there will be plenty of additional content all of the time.

Plus, with the Aurora tool set, even folks (like me) who are not that great at building, a player can create their own content.

My main point is that this game will never be short on custom content. In fact, that is the main draw of this game.
  • It would be better to have it all tied together in one single game rather than digging through custom content.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    The original campaign is a huge, multi-chapter story with lots of plot twists and reveals. The main criticism I've ever heard is that it is so long it bogs down and gets boring to some people. I have never heard "too short" before. That doesn't make any sense. Are you sure whoever you heard that from has actually played the game?
  • MordaedilMordaedil Member Posts: 56
    The main problems with the OC is that they serve as a tutorial to use of the toolset (it's fascinating opening it in the toolet and seeing all of the pointers telling you how things work) and putting players through an endless hall-ways of tutorials really feels like it drags on for most people.