Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

New Premium Module: Tyrants of the Moonsea! Read More
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

NWN1 vs NWN2 UI interface

It is clear that the user interface of NWN1 and NWN2 is completely different from each other.

It's useless to say it, but NWN2 has brought many changes to the user interface and you have controls that make it from the best and most convenient point of view ... action bars, icons etc ... I find it much better than NWN1 than for example in NWN icons and buff-malus were almost of the same color (purple, blue, green).

To make you understand better then I take the 2 pictures taken by NWN1 and NWN2:

NWN1




NWN2 (Modded)




NWN2 (Original)



NWN1 character creation



NWN2 character creation



«134

Comments

  • TrinitalTrinital Member Posts: 59
    NWN2 UI is also highly modular and customizable. Not hard coded.
    So if you don't like it - you can change it easily.

    :s

  • TrinitalTrinital Member Posts: 59

    NWN2 ui and interfaces were\are horrible. it's utterly painful to play NWN2 because of them.

    NWN1 is much better as you can easily see what you need to see, also the radial menu was superb compared to the RMB menu in NWN2.

    and whjo needs more then 3 bars? (ctrl\shift)


    The Radial Menu I would argue is very cumbersome once you reach a certain point of clutter. When you are digging 3 radials deep to find a random emote.. You need a new way of handling it.

    Most NWN1 PW's have done just that, opting to use conversation trees to replace the radial, that and the UI is completely hard coded.

    Which brings me back to the NWN2 alternative -

    The best case scenario is a customizable UI. There is no reason it should be hard coded. I would guess you've never seen the custom UI's people have made for NWN2 based on your post.

    Kenji
  • MalclaveMalclave Member Posts: 47

    and whjo needs more then 3 bars? (ctrl\shift)

    I'd love them. My quickbars fill up very rapidly if I play a spellcaster.

    My first bar on almost all characters fills up with Detect, 2 or 3 weapon/ shield choices, healing kits and potions, and maybe combat modes and an item or two ( like the OC recall stone). Then you add more potions and items with spell effects.

    And on top of that spellcasters have their spells, special abilities (Summon Familiar, Turn Undead), and maybe some scrolls.

    KenjiMirandel
  • MadHatterMadHatter Member Posts: 145
    I don’t mind either UI, but for the love of Sune it would be so nice to be able to add custom UI elements to NWN1.

    Kenji
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 323
    I preferred the fixed GUI of NWN1 over the flimsy windows of NWN2. It feels more solid and reliable when things don't move around, sometimes accidentally.

    DJKajuruSylvius_the_Mad
  • ReibornReiborn Member Posts: 156
    Malclave said:

    and whjo needs more then 3 bars? (ctrl\shift)

    I'd love them. My quickbars fill up very rapidly if I play a spellcaster.

    My first bar on almost all characters fills up with Detect, 2 or 3 weapon/ shield choices, healing kits and potions, and maybe combat modes and an item or two ( like the OC recall stone). Then you add more potions and items with spell effects.

    And on top of that spellcasters have their spells, special abilities (Summon Familiar, Turn Undead), and maybe some scrolls.
    in nwn 2 you got quick cast menu hitting F which will just toss all spells on your monitor in tidy menu. which means most bars are empty.

    in NWN1 you don't really need that many spells and I used to play on RP servers mostly casters and still had plenty left over bar space for RP related stuff.

    Kenji
  • JidokwonJidokwon Member Posts: 311
    @Googleness: I'll certainly agree that we don't *need* every spell, ability, emote, and such, but I'd absolutely *love* to have convenient access to more.

    I don't know if you're familiar with EverQuest, but towards the end there my paladin had upwards of 180 buttons on his main screen. Yeah, UI real estate took up 75% of my screen and was terrible, but I would have hated life not having quick and easy access to so many. I wanted more there, too.

    HunterRayder93
  • ReibornReiborn Member Posts: 156
    Jidokwon said:

    @Googleness: I'll certainly agree that we don't *need* every spell, ability, emote, and such, but I'd absolutely *love* to have convenient access to more.

    I don't know if you're familiar with EverQuest, but towards the end there my paladin had upwards of 180 buttons on his main screen. Yeah, UI real estate took up 75% of my screen and was terrible, but I would have hated life not having quick and easy access to so many. I wanted more there, too.

    Everquest is before my gaming adventures started but.. 180 buttons? that is insane! I admire you for managing so many....

    Reminds me my EVE Online pvp attempts where 80% of the screen is ui elements and tiny square in the middle was the actual ship flying in space.

    -----------------------------

    what I was fond of with the radial menu was that I didn't had to invest screen real estate for barrs I could do many things by rmb menu instead.

    But that's just me. the NWN ui is in dire need of an upgrade I'm going to take some screenshots and post later today my suggestions.

  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 1,938
    I'm fine mostly with the NWN UI, but I would love to have more hotbars. Like, many more. As many as I want. Why put a limit?

  • ReibornReiborn Member Posts: 156

    I'm fine mostly with the NWN UI, but I would love to have more hotbars. Like, many more. As many as I want. Why put a limit?

    can easily be done I think with a number and arrows like:

    <1> then you hit the arrow and <2> so unlimited bars...

    BelleSorciere
  • JidokwonJidokwon Member Posts: 311
    Adding arrows to have access to more hot bars would certainly be nice, but I'm also hoping they'll allow a more customizable UI that actually allows things to be seen. I tend to forget that I have access to items, spells, abilities, and such when they're buried too deeply.

    BelleSorciereBelgarathMTHHunterRayder93Kenji
  • JimbobslimbobJimbobslimbob Member Posts: 199
    @Trinital That is awesome! Would love to see some stuff like that for NWN 1.

    HunterRayder93
  • MordaedilMordaedil Member Posts: 56
    @Trinital Those are pretty nice looking, but I think most of the other NWN2 stuff featured on this page looks like vomit. But that's because I have a bad experience with it, probably.

    I have a lot of things I prefer from NWN, like the radial menu, but there's things from NWN2 that are straight up good additions, like the fast-cast menu.

    HunterRayder93
  • 11302101130210 Member Posts: 347
    NWN1 UI was so vastly superior to NWN2's UI.

    At a very base-level glance, it seems like they're similar in ways. However, play both 100+ hour RPGs and you'll see how laughably horrible NWN2's UI is compared to NWN's.

    It doesn't matter... much... but with having to use these UI mechanics over 100+ hour games, it makes me want to break NWN2.

    HunterRayder93BaratanSylvius_the_Mad
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 323
    edited November 2017
    NWN 2's UI always felt a bit unresponsive and laggy while NWN 1 was snappy and responsive.

    The EE could do with a UI redesign though. The transparent borderless windows look a bit plain and the equipment slots are not as logically arranged as they could be. There will be more space now too with higher resolutions.

    Using two different fonts on the character record was weird as well. The UI is one aspect where nostalgia can move aside for an aesthetic improvement.

    HunterRayder93
  • TrinitalTrinital Member Posts: 59
    edited November 2017
    Mordaedil said:

    @Trinital Those are pretty nice looking, but I think most of the other NWN2 stuff featured on this page looks like vomit. But that's because I have a bad experience with it, probably.

    I have a lot of things I prefer from NWN, like the radial menu, but there's things from NWN2 that are straight up good additions, like the fast-cast menu.

    But that's why custom UI's are so important. The best stuff in NWN2 is custom content made by us the community.

    Every PW has their own custom theme of UI to match their setting. There's no reason why this isn't the best option.

    We shouldn't be arguing for transparency settings / bigger buttons, but an open source UI that we can do whatever we want with. Let the community do that.

    Mordaedil
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 323
    I'm all for customization, but I'd still like a professional artist at Beamdog to do a UI redesign for the base game instead of relying on community content.

    HunterRayder93
  • TrinitalTrinital Member Posts: 59

    I'm all for customization, but I'd still like a professional artist at Beamdog to do a UI redesign for the base game instead of relying on community content.

    You're already currently relying on the community for the EE game in the first place.. As Trent said on the twitch stream.

    So don't be so quick to dismiss an extremely talented group of people, many of who are artists / designers / developers in their professional lives and are only limited by what the game lets them do.

    If I have to choose where money goes, I want the engine to be opened up more every time.

  • MordaedilMordaedil Member Posts: 56
    Trinital said:

    Mordaedil said:

    @Trinital Those are pretty nice looking, but I think most of the other NWN2 stuff featured on this page looks like vomit. But that's because I have a bad experience with it, probably.

    I have a lot of things I prefer from NWN, like the radial menu, but there's things from NWN2 that are straight up good additions, like the fast-cast menu.

    But that's why custom UI's are so important. The best stuff in NWN2 is custom content made by us the community.

    Every PW has their own custom theme of UI to match their setting. There's no reason why this isn't the best option.

    We shouldn't be arguing for transparency settings / bigger buttons, but an open source UI that we can do whatever we want with. Let the community do that.
    Agreed there.

  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 323
    Trinital said:

    I'm all for customization, but I'd still like a professional artist at Beamdog to do a UI redesign for the base game instead of relying on community content.

    You're already currently relying on the community for the EE game in the first place.. As Trent said on the twitch stream.

    So don't be so quick to dismiss an extremely talented group of people, many of who are artists / designers / developers in their professional lives and are only limited by what the game lets them do.

    If I have to choose where money goes, I want the engine to be opened up more every time.
    I'm not dismissing anyone's work and especially not something that hasn't even been done yet. I know the community is capable of producing professional grade content and that's why NWN is so special.

    But we shouldn't forget that most players, and any new players who will pick up the EE will see the base game without any mods. Players who never install any community created content could very well be the majority.

  • TrinitalTrinital Member Posts: 59
    edited November 2017

    Trinital said:

    I'm all for customization, but I'd still like a professional artist at Beamdog to do a UI redesign for the base game instead of relying on community content.

    You're already currently relying on the community for the EE game in the first place.. As Trent said on the twitch stream.

    So don't be so quick to dismiss an extremely talented group of people, many of who are artists / designers / developers in their professional lives and are only limited by what the game lets them do.

    If I have to choose where money goes, I want the engine to be opened up more every time.
    I'm not dismissing anyone's work and especially not something that hasn't even been done yet. I know the community is capable of producing professional grade content and that's why NWN is so special.

    But we shouldn't forget that most players, and any new players who will pick up the EE will see the base game without any mods. Players who never install any community created content could very well be the majority.
    But just to be clear.. The EE is currently being worked on by the community. The contributors like Niv Liareth and Sherincal all come from this community.

    It was the same with the BG:EE.. Trent is very good at hunting down the talent and putting them to work in an official position. I guess I just care more about Beamdog doing what only Beamdog can do (Open up the engine) and I prefer the community taking up the slack, which is what they are good at.

  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 323
    And I want the game to be successful on a larger scale beyond the hard core fans and modders. So that Beamdog gets an opportunity to work on expansions and develop the game further.

  • HunterRayder93HunterRayder93 Member Posts: 265

    And I want the game to be successful on a larger scale beyond the hard core fans and modders. So that Beamdog gets an opportunity to work on expansions and develop the game further.

    how to develop means DB needs to add content, features, and quality of life, which means improving different functions like UI.

  • MalclaveMalclave Member Posts: 47
    Reiborn said:

    Malclave said:

    and whjo needs more then 3 bars? (ctrl\shift)

    I'd love them. My quickbars fill up very rapidly if I play a spellcaster.

    My first bar on almost all characters fills up with Detect, 2 or 3 weapon/ shield choices, healing kits and potions, and maybe combat modes and an item or two ( like the OC recall stone). Then you add more potions and items with spell effects.

    And on top of that spellcasters have their spells, special abilities (Summon Familiar, Turn Undead), and maybe some scrolls.
    in nwn 2 you got quick cast menu hitting F which will just toss all spells on your monitor in tidy menu. which means most bars are empty.

    in NWN1 you don't really need that many spells and I used to play on RP servers mostly casters and still had plenty left over bar space for RP related stuff.
    Personal preference, I guess. I'm not really fond of casting through the radial menu or activating items out of the inventory screen on a routine basis. The quick cast menu would probably work for me too.

  • saramakossaramakos Member Posts: 19
    I believe one area where NWN1's interface shines over NWN2 for me is the camera. Not being able to lock the camera tilt in NWN2 drove me utterly batty and nearly had me rage quit it. Thankfully I didn't as NWN2 was in all other ways an amazing game!

    I am all for having non-hardcoded UIs however, it would be nice having the stock NWN interface as we all know it well, but having the ability to tweak it.

    Trinital
  • TrinitalTrinital Member Posts: 59
    edited November 2017
    saramakos said:

    I believe one area where NWN1's interface shines over NWN2 for me is the camera. Not being able to lock the camera tilt in NWN2 drove me utterly batty and nearly had me rage quit it. Thankfully I didn't as NWN2 was in all other ways an amazing game!

    I am all for having non-hardcoded UIs however, it would be nice having the stock NWN interface as we all know it well, but having the ability to tweak it.

    NWN2's camera is probably the most criticized feature about it.. For sure the number one fix that would be required if a EE was made.

    (That said, there is an option in the menus that makes NWN2 camera work almost identical to World of Warcraft.. IMO it should of been turned on by default)

  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 1,811
    I'm not particularly find of either one, but favour NwN 2 in most cases as it feels slimmer and less in the way.

    The only example of one being clearly ahead of the other is nwn2's quick spell menu or whatever it's called. Much simpler and quicker to use than the circular menu thing.

    HunterRayder93
  • NinjamestariNinjamestari Member Posts: 18
    The NWN1 UI is by far the superior one. The only thing that NWN2 made better was the quick-cast feature, otherwise I simply hate the NWN2 UI and never want to see it again, ever.

    Baratan
Sign In or Register to comment.