Skip to content

Crash after save! Exit code: 3221226505

11302101130210 Member Posts: 381
edited November 2017 in Technical Support
Crap! I just freshly installed the game. I installed a mod from the NWN Vault to update Shayan's Subrace Engine. Then I created my character for the OC.

After that, I tried saving after the introduction to the OC, and I received a crash. It keeps happening! So, I uninstalled Shayan's Subrace Engine update, then pressed "Verify Game." I did receive a message that files were altered in the game (even though all the files from the update are gone).

After the restoration of the game's files, I tried the aforementioned above again (no mods present). This time I received the same crash.

Looks like I'll have to switch back to NWN2. :neutral:

Edit: Is there some file I can attach so that I can give some of the tech people more information?

Comments

• Peteed1985Peteed1985 Member Posts: 63
    You using Bitdefender? I found that NWN was trying to edit the documents folder which Bitdefender blocks as one of it's default protected folders causing that error number.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    edited November 2017
    Yes, it may look like a problem many players with Bitdefender are having with IE EEs. https://steamcommunity.com/app/321800/discussions/5/1480982338957728447

If it isn't the case, can you please file this in the public redmine (Bug-tracker, there's a stickied post at the top of the tech support forum showing how)?

Please, attach your dump file and DxDiag.file to your report.
  • 11302101130210 Member Posts: 381

Yes, it may look like a problem many players with Bitdefender are having with IE EEs. https://steamcommunity.com/app/321800/discussions/5/1480982338957728447

If it isn't the case, can you please file this in the public redmine (Bug-tracker, there's a stickied post at the top of the tech support forum showing how)?

Please, attach your dump file and DxDiag.file to your report.

Nope, I don't have Bitdefender. I have AVG. Where can I find my dump file? There's no crash folder found in the NWN folder in My Documents.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    C:\Users\\Documents\Neverwinter Nights
    You get two files:
    something like nwmain-crash-1511445021.log
    and
    nwmain-crash-1511445021.dmp
    (the number at the end is probably the time)
    You should attach both files with a bug report.
    edited November 2017

C:\Users\\Documents\Neverwinter Nights
    You get two files:
    something like nwmain-crash-1511445021.log
    and
    nwmain-crash-1511445021.dmp
    (the number at the end is probably the time)
    You should attach both files with a bug report.

Hi Julius,

I checked the folder, and it seems my game isn't logging the crash files. Last night I even did a clean install. I can recreate the crash each time I save to check again, too. I'm entirely certain I'm checking the correct folder, as a save I try to create while in game ends up creating an empty folder (i.e. what I named the save). So therefore, I'm looking at the correct directory.

The folder, however is empty.
    It sounds like it's antivirus - if it's crashing without writing a dump that means two things - either there's a crash in the code that writes the crash (...) or the file can't be written to the directory. Since you can't save games, which are stored near the crash dumps, it's most likely an anti-virus or permissions issue with the documents folder.

It sounds like it's antivirus - if it's crashing without writing a dump that means two things - either there's a crash in the code that writes the crash (...) or the file can't be written to the directory. Since you can't save games, which are stored near the crash dumps, it's most likely an anti-virus or permissions issue with the documents folder.

Hi Julius,

Thanks for the help. Let me try messing around with my antivirus software. These antivirus people need to stop getting in the way of the work of more important people: Beamdog.

• KrovosKrovos Member Posts: 20
    I am seeing the same issue with Avast Permier and I had to disable it. Anyone figure out a work around besides disabling the firewall/Shields
    Krovos said:

I am seeing the same issue with Avast Permier and I had to disable it. Anyone figure out a work around besides disabling the firewall/Shields

I have Avast free. Your best bet might be to disable Avast's Firewall. First thing I would try is manually going into Avast's Firewall exceptions list, and manually adding a specific exception to the Beamdog launcher executable, and nwmain.exe

If that doesn't work, I've found you may have to disable Avast's Firewall and then activate Windows Defender to use as Firewall protection.
  • ObaObaObaOba Member Posts: 12
    edited November 2017
    Hey! maybe this can be useful:
    I had nwserver crash on client leaving, both as player and dm.
    I fixed the issues by editing the OnClientLeave event, i removed the following code lines:

object oPlayer=GetExitingObject();

if (!GetIsPC(oPlayer))
    return;

ExportSingleCharacter(oPlayer);

that worked for me.

I also use Shayan's Subrace System. I'll do further tests to check if I have any other problem!
    1130210 said:

Krovos said:

I have Avast free. Your best bet might be to disable Avast's Firewall. First thing I would try is manually going into Avast's Firewall exceptions list, and manually adding a specific exception to the Beamdog launcher executable, and nwmain.exe

If that doesn't work, I've found you may have to disable Avast's Firewall and then activate Windows Defender to use as Firewall protection.
    Yeah that was the first thing I did was to put exceptions in. I know it’s Avast causing the issue I just need to go though each Avast Sheild since it’s Permier there are several of them turned on and then go from there. The firewall one was not the one causing the issue for me, I tried what you did and it still crashed. Thanks for the help. What Anti virus did you end up having luck with ?
    edited November 2017
    Krovos said:

1130210 said:

Krovos said:

Yeah that was the first thing I did was to put exceptions in. I know it’s Avast causing the issue I just need to go though each Avast Sheild since it’s Permier there are several of them turned on and then go from there. The firewall one was not the one causing the issue for me, I tried what you did and it still crashed. Thanks for the help. What Anti virus did you end up having luck with ?
    Avast free did it for me. It must be some feature of Antivirus software that's doing it. Obviously it's something that the Pro/Premier versions add. Perhaps it's not a Firewall issue? AVG seemed to think it was an internet access issue. It ended up blocking some port or something, but adding an exception for that seemed to not do anything, either.

I wish I could help more, dude... having a crash on save sucks to NO END. :/
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Usually it is possible to tell the AV software to let certain programs write to certain directories. Or at least change the permissions for the save directory. Disable you AV or firewall software only to confirm if it was indeed the cause of the problem. Try to give permission to the game, maybe even switch AV software but never run your computer without them for an extended time.

Usually it is possible to tell the AV software to let certain programs write to certain directories. Or at least change the permissions for the save directory. Disable you AV or firewall software only to confirm if it was indeed the cause of the problem. Try to give permission to the game, maybe even switch AV software but never run your computer without them for an extended time.

Hi Avenger_teambg,

Actually this is a BIG point of contention among the AVG 2017 version. They, as of now, removed this feature. I looked it up for about 30 minutes. They don't have the feature in the program right now.
    1130210 said:

Krovos said:

1130210 said:

Krovos said:

Avast free did it for me. It must be some feature of Antivirus software that's doing it. Obviously it's something that the Pro/Premier versions add. Perhaps it's not a Firewall issue? AVG seemed to think it was an internet access issue. It ended up blocking some port or something, but adding an exception for that seemed to not do anything, either.

So I figure it out its one of the "Extra Protection" Programs called Ransomware Shield. I have all aspects of Avast Premier enabled and I am now able to save, I just disabled that one component. Hopefully this helps anyone else using this version of Avast and having issues.
  • SkarltarSkarltar Member Posts: 1
    I fixed the problem by uninstalling AVG Free and then rebooting my machine and finally reinstalling it once more with the latest version. Game now saves without a problem.

Thought I would let people know of my solution in case others haven't been able to solve this.
  • GaldragoGaldrago Member Posts: 2
    Krovos said:

1130210 said:

Krovos said:

1130210 said:

Krovos said:

So I figure it out its one of the "Extra Protection" Programs called Ransomware Shield. I have all aspects of Avast Premier enabled and I am now able to save, I just disabled that one component. Hopefully this helps anyone else using this version of Avast and having issues.
    I had the same problem and looked at the ransomware shield settings, adding nwmain.exe to the allowed apps works without disabling it completely.