Skip to content

Can NPCs below 18 intelligence still cast level 9 spells?

I never had time to play BG2EE just the first one so I don't know if it was fixed. So apologies for my ignorance. I keep planning to.

In the originally classic version of BG2, if someone had 16 or 17 int (or even 9 intelligence), they could cast level 9 spells even though technically they shouldn't be able to be AD&D rules.

I'm not requesting any change. It's just when I can get time to play the game, it will help me plan my party choices.

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    They can. But in order for such characters to learn (scribe) spells into the spellbook, they have to use potions to up their INT.
  • Julius -- once the Potion of Genius wears off, they'll still have open spell lots in level 9? Hmm... well it would make sense as the high-level abilities have to go somewhere.

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724

once the Potion of Genius wears off, they'll still have open spell lots in level 9?

Yes.
  • Thanks
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    Everyone gets the spell slots and can memorize the spells. But you need 18 int to LEARN the spell. Once learnt however you can memorize it and cast it freely no matter your int
  • DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508
    I often use potions to scribe every spell in the game for all my mages.
  • KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 627
    Does this mean a Sorc with less than 18 int would be screwed?

Can't imagine i'll ever make a char like that, but the question begs to be asked given the topic..
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Khyron said:

Does this mean a Sorc with less than 18 int would be screwed?

Can't imagine i'll ever make a char like that, but the question begs to be asked given the topic..

Sorcerers have no stat requirements for their spells. A sorcerer with straight 3s casts just as well as one with straight 18s.
  • KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 627
    ... so you just get max dex, 16 con and you're golden.. huh!