Skip to content

Anyone play any of the old Sierra Online games (this crowd is probably familiar with...)

TawmisTawmis Member Posts: 120
... Quest for Glory, if at all, any of the Sierra games.

Got any favorites?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TawmisTawmis Member Posts: 120
    Shandaxx said:

YES!

Nice! I wasn't sure if there were any "old timers" (maybe you're not old, like me, hahha) - just younger experience with those games? :smiley:
    Shandaxx said:

King's Quest! Leisure Suit Larry! Quest for Glory!

King's Quest was a staple (Sierra's flagship title). LSL was my jam, back in the day. Loved the twisted humor. QfG was great too - because it was a CRPG that you play solo and not against impossible odds of mobs and what not! I always loved QfG.
    Shandaxx said:

King's Quest has probably had the largest effect on me. It opened my eyes to the fantasy genre and made me receptive to fantasy worlds in general. I love that series so much. Notably I grew up with King's Quest 7. That game is pure magic for me, I'll forever hold it dear in my heart.

That's awesome to hear! I co-admin a site that makes all those games playable on modern machines! The main admin actually makes installers (for _all_ Sierra games). It's cool to hear that KQVII was the big one for you - everyone always loves KQVI the most. (For me, KQIV was amazing; because it was the first game I played where a woman was the main character! Blew my mind!)
    Shandaxx said:

Well Leisure Suit Larry, is a game series, I should not have played as a kid you may argue but I did. When I grew older I understood more and more of the references and the humor in the Larry games. As a kid I was so naive and unknowing. HA! I remember it was Leisure Suit Larry 6 that made me ask my father "Dad, what is a condom"? because Larry had acquired that strange item which I didn't recognize.

Hah! My parents never knew what the content of LSL games was like - they only knew that my friend Shawn would come over (we used to play all the Sierra games together) - and they'd hear us laughing uncontrollably from the study. (Even then, like you, we didn't get all the references, but still found it funny) lol
    Shandaxx said:

I only discovered Quest for Glory many many years later, maybe 5 years ago or so. I fear that is series is not given enough credit for. Part 4 was a masterpiece! The first three installments are all good to very good.

QfGIV is definitely the best of the series, for me as well. QfGII was a nightmare maneuvering through that city - you'd always need to break out the map.
    Shandaxx said:

Ah the good old Sierra games. But eventually the good old Sierra video game series would crumble: Quest for Glory 5, Leisure Suit Larry 8, King's Quest 8? They were all disappointments in their own way and didn't live up to their names at all (although I only heard it about Quest for Glory 5, I never played that one myself)
    King's Quest 8 on the other hand would have been an "okay" to good game if it had not been called King's Quest. The game itself was okay. As a King's Quest game it was a great disgrace to the series in my opinion.
    Btw there have been fan remakes of some King's Quest games and Quest for Glory 2.

Leisure Suit Larry got up to 7, but yes... I agree for sure about Mask of Eternity. I don't even call that a King's Quest game. I keep trying to go back and replay it... it's just... not good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Shandaxx said:

Oh one more thing, @Tawmis , do you recognize my avatar picture? ;)

I had to click your profile to see the full photo - but I am pretty sure it's Bonehead from Quest for Glory, if I remember the name correct.
    Shandaxx said:

When I was a kid King's Quest 7 was one of my first adventure games. And I think I played it over and over again. Computer games weren't so easily available back then. No internet and stuff. Also as a kid it had simply never even occurred to look for the predecessors of King's Quest 7.

Life was much easier back then...
    Shandaxx said:

I played King's Quest 6 only when I was an adult already. I can see why you would prefer it over King's Quest 7 if you got to know and love it first. I think some even see King's Quest 7 as a step back and a decline in quality. Of course I could never see it myself that way, but if you are totally in love with KQ6 then you see KQ7 with different eyes.

I loved KQVII. A lot of people who played KQ from the start (on forums I frequent) saw it as a step back - because it became a side scroller, in many ways - but the animation (to me back then) was like playing a Disney movie. (Torin's Passage, also by Sierra - made by Al Lowe - was the same - and even more remarkable).
    Shandaxx said:

About Larry, yes, there is no game called "Leisure Suit Larry 8". I meant the game "Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude". That game was to the Larry series what King's Quest 8 was to the King's Quest series - as I already said: a disgrace.

Yeah... I run a LSL site and do not even acknowledge MCL or BOB which came after LSL7. It's not Larry Laffer. It's a different guy (Larry Lovage), different company, different mechanics. I tried MCL when it first came out - lasted about 5 minutes (a lot like Larry himself) hahah
    Shandaxx said:

@Tawmis have you ever played one of the fan remakes of the King's Quest games? You should, they're very well worth it and done with a lot of love and respect for the game series! Let me refer you to some of the remakes: http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/games.html

On another note, I think someone should do a Quest for Glory play through on this forum. I cannot imagine that people would not be interested, once they see that interesting mix of roleplaying and adventure game. Alas I don't have time for that or I'd do it.

Yes! Played several of the fan games - along with other AGI/SCI (game engine Sierra used) type fan games!