Skip to content

Cost of a dubbing

Can anybody from Beamdog team specify - more or less, what are the costs of making a dubbing for an Enhanced Editions new content and for SoD. Maybe if people Maybe people from the certain country would be willing to support. It's just we have no idea of the costs.

Comments

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Roughly $34 per hour per voice actor needed to pay them.

Then you need to throw in a voice director cost and studio rentals.A quick search puts studio rentals at about $200 per hour.

That gives you the raw takes where editing and mixing, if you want it done professionally,can add even more to the cost.

Going through a local studio, who've done this before, would probably be able to give a nice quote and do most of the leg work for you (finding all the voice actors for example) and a better idea on cost than asking a company who can do some of the leg work internally.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Is that 34 USD or CAD? Either way, seems like robbery...
  • SikorskySikorsky Member Posts: 402
    Yeah, but how many hours are we talking about? Would be 160h enough? Or too much? For 160h it will be about $40.000. It's not that many, how many users are on this forum? Like, recently active users?
    edited December 2017
    Too much I expect. Voice recording for most characters just take a few days to start with and depending on directors desires they come back one to two days to rerecord certain pieces.
    At least that's how it goes for animation series of up to 24 episodes hereabouts.
    Imagine that the scripts are fully completed and the director knows already the feel of the acting he desires. It is conveyor belt voice acting from there on. 5-10 takes per line and off to the next bit.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Stay tuned to the next release of Wild Surge, where I interviewed @Jacob Burgess, the voice behind Glint. We go into the process of voice acting and the steps from concept to it playing from your speaker.

We didnt go into cost however, but will give you a decent idea in what's involved.

As I said. Best bet is to take the scripts to a local studio and get a quote on what it'd cost to dub.
    Nice! I'm curious how it compares to TV series voice over
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    It's about the same on a per-hour basis.

Obviously, if you want a big name you have to pay more.
    Per hour yes, but amount of time that is interesting to me. :)
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    lroumen said:

Is that 34 USD or CAD? Either way, seems like robbery...

$34/hr is about $70k a year, if one is lucky enough to find regular 40 hour per week work (which it probably isn't). Plus many are likely self-employed (thus have higher taxes), have agents, etc. And many live in LA, and have you seen the cost of living in LA?
    Yes, I meant the pay seems on the low side.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Do they do any voice over languages except English?
    Must be very, very tiresome not to have anything said in your own language.

Perhaps not all the dialog, but at least some of the repeated action lines (not sure what you would call them). It really does help with getting the characterisation for RP purposes,
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited December 2017
    Most AAA games do VO in several languages. It's more expensive you need to have someone fluently bilingual to traslate the text, and you need to find actors who speak the language if you want it to not suck. Or you can record in the target country, but that also pushes the price up.

Generally, no localised VO is considered preferable to bad localised VO.