Skip to content

[MOD] Banter Accelerator for Enhanced Edition games

argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
edited June 2017 in General Modding

Banter Accelerator for Enhanced Edition games

Download: Banter Accelerator (latest release)

Overview

This small "Tweaks" mod allows you to define how often party members will banter with each other. You can either choose from a list of presets or specify the desired values yourself.

The mod can either be installed as a regular WeiDU mod (by executing setup-A7-BanterAccelerator.exe), or you can simply copy one of several premade banter timing files directly into the "override" folder of the game. Find out more in the included readme.

The mod is available in English, French and German. All Enhanced Edition games are supported (which includes BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE and PST:EE).

Components

There is only one component "Banter Accelerator" with several different timing variants selectable as subcomponents. You can also define your own timings by selecting "User-defined" instead.
Post edited by argent77 on
DoubledimasJuliusBorisovtaclaneronaldoFlashburnGawainBSbob_vengCrevsDaakelminsterJidokwonGusindaProontIsewein

Comments

• GawainBSGawainBS Member Posts: 523
    Thanks!
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    @argent77 - The FREQUENCY in BANTTIMG.2DA measures in "ticks" (1/15th of a second), not seconds.

I set the FREQUENCY to 150 and PROBABILITY to 100 and measured the 10 seconds of real time between banters in BGEE.

So, the default settings do a banter check every 40 seconds (600 "ticks").
    argent77Isewein
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    Thanks. I haven't noticed before. I'll update the text strings.
    The mod has been updated to v1.1. It changes "seconds" to "ticks" and uses slightly different preset values.

Download link in first post has been updated.
    elminster
    edited May 2017
    There is also the SPECIALPROBABILITY line in BANTTIMG.2DA. In BGEE, this determines whether the game fires a compliment/insult banter (i.e., the "on-the-run" NPC interactions in BG1 that are controlled by INTERACT.2DA) or a dialog banter (i.e., a pausing dialog between the NPCs). Setting SPECIAL to 100 will always fire a dialog banter.

BG2EE doesn't have a functional INTERACT.2DA (the file exists, but it's just a copy of BG1's), so I'm not sure about the effects of SPECIALPROBABILITY in that game (maybe it just effectively further reduces the probability of a banter).

PST:EE has an INTERACT.2DA, so I assume SPECIALPROBABILITY works the same way in PST:EE as BG:EE (I haven't tested extensively in PST:EE, however).
    Post edited by AstroBryGuy on
    argent77
    Interesting. I haven't touched both REPLAYDELAY and SPECIALPROBABILITY for now since it wasn't documented anywhere. I'll test some more to see how it influences the banter behavior.
    edited May 2017
    Here is a post at G3 from Avenger regarding SPECIALPROBABILITY, which my tests agree with.

http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=25516&p=223634
    edited May 2017

Banter Accelerator has been updated to v1.2.

Download link in the first post has been updated.

Changes:
    • Added French translation (thanks Gwendolyne)
    • Added German translation
    JuliusBorisov
    JuliusBorisov
  • steakhutzeeesteakhutzeee Member Posts: 16
    Can anyone help me with this mod? It's a little confusing... what value should i pick? Can i select one and reinstall the mod with another value?
  • GawainBSGawainBS Member Posts: 523
    Yes. If you run it again, you select to uninstall or re-install it. I think the mod even comes with a setting that's "recommended" by the author. I'd say some like every 20 minutes-30 minutes should be fine.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    does this effect modded content added banters [ bgnpc project mod, npcs for bg 1 and 2 etc] or is this just for vanilla content?

also does it effect sod banters as well as those are done differently then bg1 or 2.
    edited December 2017
    This mod affects only banters that are triggered by the game's banter mechanism (both vanilla and mod banters). Conversations triggered by script (e.g. romance talks, explicitly timed or situational conversations) are not affected. SoD banters are not banters in the classical sense, and are usually triggered when you walk over certain regions on a map.
    Post edited by argent77 on
    JuliusBorisovmegamike15
    GawainBS said:

Yes. If you run it again, you select to uninstall or re-install it. I think the mod even comes with a setting that's "recommended" by the author. I'd say some like every 20 minutes-30 minutes should be fine.

Sorry but i can't find it, what of the 13 is the suggested one?
    No option is marked as recommended, since choice depends primarily on your playing style. The default setting (the one that is used in the unmodded game) is marked though for reference.
    I'm not expert so i don't know what is the right choice for me, any suggestion?
    The "Frequency: 450 ticks" options are good choices if you want to increase chances to see more banters. But you don't really need this mod if you don't rush through the game.
    steakhutzeee
    what exactly does each frequency add up to time wise? i tried looking it up but all i could find was an example of 2400 equaling 20 minutes.

this would be useful so people won't be getting banters to fast.
    Frequency is measured in ticks by the game (where 15 ticks are equal to 1 second). It means that after every interval (game time) there is a chance (defined by probability) that a banter attempt between two random party members is triggered. Whether an actual banter is fired also depends on whether there are banters available, otherwise you'll only see the two characters facing each other without saying a word.

By default a banter attempt is triggered every 40 seconds (600 ticks) with a probability of 10 percent, which means on average you'll see an actual banter attempt about every 400 seconds game time (i.e. pressing pause will also pause the banter timer). This is different from romance talks or similar conversations, which may be scripted to be measured in real time (i.e. pressing pause doesn't affect the timer, but also sleeping or travelling doesn't).
    tbone1megamike15GusindaJuliusBorisov

New release: Banter Accelerator 1.3

Changes:
    - Made install options more user-friendly by using 'seconds' in place of 'ticks'.
    JuliusBorisovProontmegamike15
  • Markus_RamikinMarkus_Ramikin Member Posts: 25
    edited December 2018
    Are there some other conditions to banters? I just recruited Grace, my accelerator is set to 30 seconds and 99 probability, and she gave me two banters (one with Dakkon, one with Morte) and that's it. I have Annah too, so there should be a lot of bantering if memory serves...

Also, I remember in classic travelling around Sigil (after unlocking Lower Ward, when travelling lets you pick the target area but also starts taking more in-game time) kept triggering banter, but I'm not getting that to happen either... was that changed in EE?
    99%? the highest it goes is 50. i noticed even with the accelerator the pst banters wernt firing as fast as they did with it's old accelerator. i remember a morte annah banter firing every time i rest or moved to an area not so much with this. unlike bg 1 and 2 where banters fire off just fine.
  • Markus_RamikinMarkus_Ramikin Member Posts: 25

99%? the highest it goes is 50.

You don't get the user-defined option?

99%? the highest it goes is 50.

You don't get the user-defined option?
    i did not notice that was an option until now. like i said it might be a pst issue as the banter accelerator works just fine with bg 1 [ with npc project] and 2.
  • Eva8Eva8 Member Posts: 5
    it seemed to me that some AI npc behaviour was making the banters behave NOT in a plain simple manner, and now my experience is:
    Lots of banters happen when you start the game, than they tend to decrease in time
    I was having always the same banters between the same pair of people, Ajantis and Kivan, while Kagain and Minsc were trying repeatedly to banter charname. Until I got the idea that they were bantering the NEAREST character and tried switching them. Banters changed! Kagain insulted Kivan, then I put him near Minsc and insult changed. Ajantis and Dynaheir started compliment in a way I NEVER heard of, while usually my Dynaheir always compliments the Lawful Stupid (cit.) guy with always the same compliment. Then Ajantis who was far from Kagain happened to Special insult him, with character portrait dialogue and all. After this explosion of good bantering and party interactions, everything quickly calmed down and in a few minutes it all become the usual staring and siĺent party. This could make the game quite playable and enjoyable to me, not minding restarting every quarter or half hour if I want to listen some chit chat. I suppose that long term modders probably already know all of this interesting scripting details, but I was not able to find them when I needed them so I hope this will help someone.
    edited January 2021
    New release: Banter Accelerator 1.4

Changes:
    • Added Project Infinity metadata
    • Added German translation for WeiDU prompts
    • Added WeiDU SUPPORT information
    • Fixed potential display issues with component names in WeiDU.log and Project Infinity
    ALIENCahirmegamike15Aedan
  • oukanoukan Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2021
    Does it seem to anyone else that the banters between characters are incomplete? E.g., Morte will say something to Annah, but Annah won't respond. Various wikis and videos seem to indicate that these banters are meant to be mini-conversations, not simply the one-liners that I'm receiving. Apologize if this is a known issue, but I was hoping there was something I could do about it.

Edit: Here's a video with these 'complete' banters.

Isewein
    New release: Banter Accelerator 1.5

Changes:
    • Added Brazilian Portuguese translation (thanks Felipe)
    • Added component labels for Project Infinity