Skip to content

Balanced difficulty setting for importing from SoD?

I finished BG1 and figured I would pass on SoD because I didn't want to level-up too quickly in my first play-through of BG2 and throw off the game's design. But, I ended up buying the entire Infinity Engine collection on Steam, which included SoD... so I'm tempted to play it. The question is whether to import my BG1 character into SoD and then import from SoD into BG2, or to import from BG1 into SoD and then import from BG1 into BG2 as if SoD never happened. In the case of the former, I was wondering what people's thoughts are on using tougher rules to offset the higher starting level? I normally am a Core Rules purist, but it looks like there's a way to pair the Hard/Very-Hard/Insane difficulties for number and level of enemies with the Core Rules ruleset, so I am kicking around the idea of using a harder difficulty with the standard ruleset to re-balance BG2 if I'm importing from SoD.

It seems to me that such an approach would have the negative effect of increasing the rate of XP gain because I'd be killing more and higher-level enemies earlier in the game, and then I'd "crash" when I hit the XP cap and stop growing in strength but the enemies are still more numerous and higher-level late in the game. What are people's thoughts on this?

Comments

• SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    If you play SoD and play on insane you'll max the level cap long, long before end-game if nott using 6 man parties and even then you will max out fairly early.

If you want to play SoD then play SoD. BG2 start will be easier with the extra levels of course. Comparing the 89k from OG to 500k with SoD is of course a substantial difference. In the long run, however, it matters little since you'll end up around 3 mil EXP and the starting point therefore won't change the overall balance through the course of the game too much.

If this is your first time playing, I'd recommend to stick to core rules throughout even though you COULD play on hard or higher and deal with it. Mainly this is, just like you say, to keep EXP influx down and therefore keep character progression active for a longer time before capping.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    The SoD starting bonus only really makes the initial quests easier (circus tent and slaver stuff in the slums). Pretty every other quest has scaled spawns. Plus the undocumented 10% bonus to exp that was in vanilla is no longer present in the EEs, so it balances out in the long term.
  • FiddlerFiddler Member Posts: 30
    I'm playing BG2 with some mods that make combat tougher, so my import from SoD didn't help much as I still had some tough battles. The Slavers mages were very tough - multiple restarts. Anyway, I can't say, since you are playing without mods. But I will say that I enjoyed SoD, and I am glad I played it. I think you should too. It's not essential, but it added some very cool background stuff that enhanced the whole Bhaal story line, and set up BG2 pretty well. I liked it.
  • NervaNerva Member Posts: 133
    What about the implied AI changes in the harder difficulty levels? Hard says that enemies, "use advanced combat tactics," while Insane says that enemies, "fight to the best of their ability and will use advanced combat tactics." But what does that actually translate into in terms of AI behavior in combat?
    SoD's ai is based on the popular difficulty mod SCS. The ai of BG1 and 2 hasn't been changed. So if you played SoD on core rules, BG2 will seem a tad easier by comparison.
    The descriptions I quoted were taken from starting a BG1EE game. Any idea what the hard/veryhard/insane AI's do differently in BG2EE?
    Nerva said:

The descriptions I quoted were taken from starting a BG1EE game. Any idea what the hard/veryhard/insane AI's do differently in BG2EE?

My understanding, is not all that much. Some enemies like mages will get some new scripts to cast some more dangerous spells. But no real tactics.
    So is the SCS AI mod the way to go for BG2EE if I want the AI to be a challenge?
  • BorekBorek Member Posts: 513
    Nerva said:

So is the SCS AI mod the way to go for BG2EE if I want the AI to be a challenge?

Yeah, just be warned you should read the readme that comes with it for the changes before applying, some of them are way more than just an AI improvement.
  • unavailableunavailable Member Posts: 268
    Delaying the bonus merchants and moving the most powerful of them to watcher keep where you'll have to fight for them are among some of the better non-AI things SCS does. The protection from magic scrolls and some other stuff were neutered completely and shield of balduran was removed because it is not fixable.
  • FiddlerFiddler Member Posts: 30

Delaying the bonus merchants and moving the most powerful of them to watcher keep where you'll have to fight for them are among some of the better non-AI things SCS does. The protection from magic scrolls and some other stuff were neutered completely and shield of balduran was removed because it is not fixable.

Interesting. I don't think I installed that part of SCS. The bonus merchant and Shield of Balduran were there the first time I walked into the Adventure's Mart.

SCS is pretty tough but cool. Everyone you fight uses their potions like crazy. You will need Detect Illusions maxed on your thief or multiple copies of detect invisibility. Thief's backstab you like crazy while invisible. I tried one Lich to see what it was like, and it was laughable. I would like to uninstall that one if I could. It cast about 10 spells before I could do anything. I haven't tried a dragon yet, but I imagine it will be very tough. Trolls and normal encounters are tougher, but still fun. The Lich so far was the only one that wasn't fun.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @subtledoctor SoD works great on a first playthrough though. It foreshadows 2 nicely.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    By "no order really makes sense" you mean that starting from Ep 1 doesn't flow any better than starting from Ep 4?

1st playthrough:
    - Just play BG1 + BG2 on Normal or Core Rules. Skip SoD.

2nd playthrough:
    - Play BG1 with SCS, then SoD, then BG2 with SCS, all on either Core or Hard

So, you're saying the SCS enemy AI is enough of a difficulty increase to offset the higher starting level if importing from SoD, without causing you to level-up too fast the way the harder difficulty settings do -- i.e. it is a substitute for harder difficulty settings?
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    Only SoD has a small bit - compared to the whole campaign - of extra XP to kill on harder difficulties, other games do not with or without SCS. Well, the latter IIRC does add a couple monsters here and there, but the difference is really non-existant.

SCS gets quite more brutal in BG2 than in BG1, so playing it blind may prove too much for the first time. Especially since it doesn't really notice the difficulty slider - i.e. if you hit a wall, you'd have to drop difficulty all the way to the story mode (read - cheat mode) to get through the encounter.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    ^ I agree, scs can be quite brutal, especially if you are in a lock-in quest (you can't leave the area before the boss is dead) like the Planar quests, and are of low level. So it is useful to plan out your quests and actually know about the quests/encounters. I remember somehow stumbling into Planar Prison quest in my maiden play through, unmodded no less, and had a massive difficulty jump.