Skip to content

Item Upgrade v43 Now Available

CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
The Item Upgrade mod allows Cromwell and Cespenar to upgrade additional items in BGII. One third of them are convenience functions (e.g., they save you ring or boot space), one third of them try to beef up categories of weapons that are "weak by comparison" (e.g., clubs and spears), and one third of them upgrade NPC-specific items.

Version 43 corrects errors in the Polish translation (for real this time) and provides a few other bug fixes. v43 Changelog:
  • Polish translation should no longer crash EE games (for real this time)
  • @argent77 had made a macro to help EE-ify item descriptions from vanilla item descriptions; this is now used for the Korean and Russian translations since they lack a dedicated, EE-specific translation
  • NPC-restricted items will now use the same restriction schemes as their parent items for EE games
  • Fixed a bug where the some install options were not available for Polish players
  • Items which provide immunity to poison now also block Cloudkill
ArctodusMateoFrozenGusindaCahirAerakarFlashburnAedanProontStummvonBordwehrgorgonzolaFina92

Comments

• unavailableunavailable Member Posts: 268
    edited December 2017
    well, that kithix figurine stats seem nice. Almost as good as having a whole new party slot. I think such a good item should be harder to make. Most of the other weapons seem to be well balanced though.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    One thing to keep in mind is that Weimer--the original author who made all of these upgrades--balanced his stuff against his Tactics mod. As such, most (if not all) of the items will be overpowered for most game runs.
  • unavailableunavailable Member Posts: 268
    why though? the point of tactics is to make the game harder, and the point of item upgrade is to make it easier.
    StummvonBordwehr
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Is it compatible with the Unofficial Item Pack?

If both mods are used which one should I install first?

Thanks!
    Raduziel said:

Is it compatible with the Unofficial Item Pack?

If both mods are used which one should I install first?

Thanks!

Unofficial Item Pack lacks some basic compatibility steps, like modder prefix, and overwrites a ton of items instead of patching them. As such, it should probably go early in the install order.

I don't think there will be compatibility bugs, though Item Upgrade does use some of the same items in its formula. E.g. you'll have to decide if you want to keep UIP's enhanced Symbol of Amaunator or use it to make IU's Holy Buckler of Amaunator.
    Raduziel
  • dvoretsadvoretsa Member Posts: 1
    Hi!
    It seems that item upgrade v43 doesn't work with BG2 EE v 2.5. Or maybe it doesn't work with SCS v31.

Is it possible to release new version of item upgrade that will fix this?
    Aedangorgonzola
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    Also, is it possible to
    > add a way for IR to be detected
    > instead of getting the original "properties", the game autodetects the properties of the new IR items
    > and actually sums up their properties

?
  • anotherdoctoranotherdoctor Member Posts: 1
    During installation there is a question asking whether I would like to:

Install Component [Shadows Of Amn Item Upgrades]?
    [N]o, [Q]uit or choose one:
    1] Original Version (new upgrades in a list)
    2] Revised Version (new upgrades presented in the same style as existing upgrades)

What do these two options do?
  • PsiryuPsiryu Member Posts: 13

What do these two options do?

The first option presents the items upgrade option as a list when talking to Cromwell or Cespenar.
    Kind of like this:

1. I have this cool sword, what can you do to upgrade it?
    2. I have this fine leather coat, can it be improved?
    3. The spider spawned by this figurine is pathetically weak. Make it better.

The second option puts the item upgrade options in as part of the usual dialogue when Cromwell or Cespenar are searching through your gear to see what they can improve.

I'd recommend the first option. The mod adds so many new upgrades that it takes ages to get through all of them with the second option.

Ladon
  • LadonLadon Member Posts: 17
    I think the second option should be removed, becuase it really takes ages to go through them all, and that kills a bit of the enjoyment. Not to mention usability.
    Ladon said:

I think the second option should be removed, becuase it really takes ages to go through them all, and that kills a bit of the enjoyment. Not to mention usability.

The second option is the only one I use, since otherwise the mod content sticks out like a sore thumb and breaks immersion.
    Then my suggestion would be that vanilla recipes could also be done in a list like that, and when selected, Cromwell's lines would play.

For immersion, I would say certain recipes break that, too many +4/+5 items, and recipes that stack items of the same kind (stack all the belts together, stack all the necklaces together, etc).
    Ladon said:

Then my suggestion would be that vanilla recipes could also be done in a list like that, and when selected, Cromwell's lines would play.

For immersion, I would say certain recipes break that, too many +4/+5 items, and recipes that stack items of the same kind (stack all the belts together, stack all the necklaces together, etc).

Let's just say it's unlikely that I'm going to code up another option to solve a non-existent problem.
    DjinnRaduziel
    I thank you for all your work on bg2 mods, but there's no need to be rude.

You're free to ignore my suggestion. No need to tell me to shove it up my ass.
    Apologies, I did not mean to be rude--just trying to give an honest assessment of my time and priorities.
    JuliusBorisovLadon
    Looking back, "non-existent problem" was a poor way to express myself.

I am only the maintainer of Item Upgrade. It remains Wes' mod and I do my best to keep it true to his idea, which is why you only see bug fixes and/or updated translations in the changelog since I started doing maintenance. The only future updates I foresee will be in the same vein; I consider the mod to be feature-complete. This is why I generally nix suggestions such as this or the numerous suggestions for balance/tweak/new items I've seen over the years.
    StummvonBordwehrGwendolyne
  • zelazkozelazko Member Posts: 74
    edited November 2018
    ///delete it wrong thread.
  • raizoraizo Member Posts: 31
    edited December 2018
    I have a problem with upgrading Celestial Fury.
    Cromwell takes all the ingredients, but I don't receive CF +5.
    I tried searching for it with EEKeeper in the installation folder, but there is no such item.

I'm on Linux/BG2EE/IU-v43 with lots of other mods.

What would be the proper way to find the cause?
    Post edited by raizo on
  • xizorxizor Member Posts: 89
    Incarnadine Elven Chain recipe is wrong. It requires 3 Dispel Magic scrolls instead of 3 fire agate gems (but doesn't use them). I also received 3 andar gems instead of losing them.
    Yes, that's a bug. Thanks for the report!
  • xizorxizor Member Posts: 89
    When Cespenar asks about making Teleomortis, there are three responses instead of two (third one is the same as the first).
  • kovachkovach Member Posts: 6
    edited April 2019
    Hi,
    Two bugs for v43 at BG2EE 2.5:
    - Aeger's Hide +5 (C2HIDE01) has wrong item name and description.
    - Sorcerian Ring requires a different Reaching Ring (RING08) than that we can obtain (OHRINGWI).
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CashewCashew Member Posts: 13
    edited August 2020
    Edit: I just found out why the THACO stuff wasn't working correctly, I had another mod that changes the proficiencies and consolidated them, it must be conflicting with that.
    Post edited by Cashew on