Skip to content

Multiple strongholds? *spoiler?*

MorrandirrMorrandirr Member Posts: 60
I'm playing a Fighter/Mage and already control the de'Arnise keep.
I've just finished the quest inside the planar sphere, but it isn't given to me as a stronghold.
Is that a known limitation or is my quest status somehow bugged? (The NPCs inside the sphere including Reyna don't leave the sphere either, although it's back in Athkatla...)

Comments

• jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    I believe you can only pick one or the other without a mod.
  • RyofuRyofu Member Posts: 268
    you need to download a multiple stronghold mod to have more than 1 stronghold i believe.
  • maximaxi Member Posts: 86
    I remember that in the old BGSoA I run a solo with a fighter/mage/thief and I get the 3 stronghold, so for your figther mage should work... or it's a bug or you are missing something.
  • MorrandirrMorrandirr Member Posts: 60
    edited November 2013
    It seemes that it worked as intended.

There is a "Multiple stronghold" mod (http://www.gibberlings3.net/readmes/readme-bg2tweaks.html) which keeps the class restriction, so a F/M is allowed to own the sphere and the keep.

My problem was that I already finished the spheres quest and Lavok (who gives you the sphere) was already dead. So I just needed to respawn him (in defated version, "LAVOK02") and he gave me the sphere. Only drawback was, that I gained 44k exp again for completing the quest. But I think I can get over this. ;-)
  • ItstucktwiceItstucktwice Member Posts: 182
    maxi said:

I remember that in the old BGSoA I run a solo with a fighter/mage/thief and I get the 3 stronghold, so for your figther mage should work... or it's a bug or you are missing something.

It's possible you were playing a multiple strongholds component from some mod and you just don't remember. You have always only been able to pick 1 stronghold per character, and in the case of multi-classes it has always been the first one you accept.

(There is a dual classing glitch that allows you to take multiple, but I won't get into that.)
  • maximaxi Member Posts: 86

maxi said:

It's possible you were playing a multiple strongholds component from some mod and you just don't remember. You have always only been able to pick 1 stronghold per character, and in the case of multi-classes it has always been the first one you accept.

(There is a dual classing glitch that allows you to take multiple, but I won't get into that.)
    mmm, weird, because I never installed mods on my old SoA... maybe I just don't remember well, it was long ago. Anyway, I think that multiclasses should be able to have multiple stronghold!
  • OnonymOnonym Member Posts: 8
    In case anyone later comes looking for multiple strongholds, basically just set the PLAYERHASSTRONGHOLD global variable to 0 in some way before having the conversation that normally gives you the stronghold.

It is possible via EE Keeper or via the LUA console: CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("PlayerHasStronghold","GLOBAL",0)

For the mage stronghold, this point is after you feed the demon hearts to the engine, and before you talk to the incapacitated necromancer in the navigator's room. Set it to 0 before you talk to him, you'll be ported outside as usual, and he will offer you the Sphere, regardless of how many keeps you have already.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    edited July 2014
    maxi said:

mmm, weird, because I never installed mods on my old SoA... maybe I just don't remember well, it was long ago. Anyway, I think that multiclasses should be able to have multiple stronghold!

Some of the original stronghold checks were less than rigorous (specifically Nalia and Lavok), so it was possible to get multiple strongholds in a few cases. We fixed that and a whole mess of other stuff with strongholds.

And personally, the reason why I coded up the class-check variant of multiple strongholds is because I fully agree. There's no reason my fighter-thief can't handle the guild and the keep.
  • Sharby13Sharby13 Member Posts: 1
    You ABSOLUTELY could without a mod but ONLY for the mage, thief, and fighter combo. It was a trick and I can't quite recall how to get all 3 but I can tell you how I used to get 2. First, you'd do the entire fighter quest but after you kill the last guy do NOT talk to char that gives you the stronghold (I believe Nalia). THEN, go and do the thief OR the mage entirely, get the stronghold. Finally, return to the keep, and talk to the last NPC before acquiring the stronghold. (maybe it was Nalia or maybe it was the sergent now that I think of it. One those two.) BAM- you now have the mage+fighter or the thief+fighter. I believe to do all three involved not talking to that mob then doing the thief and not talking to that last mob then the mage finally but fully. Then you go talk to each mob to get all three.

I have not tried this since I got the enhanced edition as I have only recently acquired it after deciding to go back to my oldschool favorite game.
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    IIRC, it used to be that you could get the fighter stronghold (DeArnise Keep) even if you already had another stronghold but no other combination was possible without mods.
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    edited December 2017
    A mullticlass character just has the possibility to chose the respective stronghold for his classes but not get more than one.
    There is
    - the Nalia exploit by which you can get the keep if you delay the final talk with her and get another stronghold meanwhile. (explained above) Nalia makes a check after you finished the quest of whether you have a stronghold already or not. This is done before you talk to her after the battle. In this interval you can go and get another stronghold.
    - There is the console set C:SetGlobal("PLAYERHASSTRONGHOLD","global",0) before you talk to a stronghold giver.
    - then there are mods.