Skip to content

Updated. Now, SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Maximum Frame Rate','60') doesn't work

I updated my BG2EE from 1.3 to 2.0. My saved games work fine but now my characters walk and cast spells much slower. Prior to updating, I had tweaked my baldur.lua to speed things up by changing the default frame rate of 30 to be 60 by changing the line to read - SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Maximum Frame Rate','60')

Now that I updated, my walking speeds are default slow and apparently changing the baldur.lua line as above has no effect. I've tried other numbers such as 40 and 45 but still the game moves at default speeds.

Is there a way to speed things up as before without cheating in boots of speed? Tweaking the baldur.lua worked before. Perhaps there is a new baldur.lua tweak for the 2.0 update. Your help and any info is greatly appreciated and I thank you for the courtesy.

Comments

• DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508
    Are you sure you're editing the baldur.lua file and not the baldur.ini file? I am not experiencing the issue you are having with that configuration setting.
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    Check the alternate renderer is not enabled - will require a restart if you have to deselect it.
  • RobertMcDuckRobertMcDuck Member Posts: 133
    Where is this "alternate rednerer" @Gate70?
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    edited April 2016
    Either change this value in your baldur.lua (switches from 0 OpenGL to 1 DirectX). I think OpenGL supports increased frame rates, but DirectX doesn't at this time - hope my memory is correct!
    SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','Backend','0')

or from the options screen go to graphics and find the alternate renderer selection. Since a restart is required I often find it easier to edit the file than start the game twice.

• Six6igmaSix6igma Member Posts: 6

Where is this "alternate rednerer"

Options>Graphics.. then scroll down to find the "Alternate Renderer" selection. (see attached image)

• TrudeauIsSantaTrudeauIsSanta Member Posts: 161
    The ini has been replaced by lua.

Try deleting the lua, then boot the game. It'll remake it with all default settings. Exit and edit the rate line only. Boot the game back up. If it works, update your ingame options (they've all reset now).
  • SpiteSpite Member Posts: 18
    I had the same problem and tried hundreds of different things but nothing worked. Ultimately, I did the one thing I was thinking about from the beginning but thought would make no difference: Run in full-screen

Just putting the game in full-screen makes it work. Don't know why the game locks to 30 fps in windowed mode?