Skip to content

Can't get custom hak files to work ( or even override for that matter )

as the title says, I downloaded some hak files and over ride files for some character improvement models and I put them in their right folders ( the beam dog one and the "my documents" one ) and they still won't work, anyone know what I am doing wrong here?

Comments

• dafenadafena Member Posts: 74
    What are you overriding?

Haks must be placed in the Hak folder and added to the module. Overrides will work with everything without adding them (but they will be overlaped if the same model/texture is inside a Hak)

So if you want to, for ex, override the head n°1 of a slim human male you have to place the correct model inside the override folder.
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    Remove them from the beamdog one. All user made content goes in the "my documents" folders with the old names. For now also remove the hak files. Do your override files work then?

As for the haks - did you get them for a module that needs them or are you building a module? If the answer is no to both and you are not trying to create a patch hak then I am afraid that hak files will be of no use to you. They are primarily for builders to add things to the modules they are creating. That is why you will often see modules that require you to download them.

TR
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975

Remove them from the beamdog one. All user made content goes in the "my documents" folders with the old names. For now also remove the hak files. Do your override files work then?

As for the haks - did you get them for a module that needs them or are you building a module? If the answer is no to both and you are not trying to create a patch hak then I am afraid that hak files will be of no use to you. They are primarily for builders to add things to the modules they are creating. That is why you will often see modules that require you to download them.

TR

I am using the my documents folder for them, and they are files to make the character models look better, last year or so when I used the GoG NWN all I had to do was put the hak files into the hak folder and it worked like a charm

im just using these haks for the normal NWN campaigns, never had issues with this before
  • MadHatterMadHatter Member Posts: 145
    haks won't override the normal NWN campaign assets unless you attach them in the toolset or download modified module files. Are you sure you didn't download Q Campaigns to go along with the Project Q haks?

Files in the override folder will override base game resources without needing to fuss around with the toolset.

There is also using the Patch hak method which is described elsewhere where you tell the game to load hak files as if they were an official patch and that overrides base game resources.

This worked the exact same way in 1.69.
    sarevok57
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,269
    edited December 2017
    For patch haks to work, you need to copy nwnpatch.ini from your old NWN folder to [User]\Documents\Neverwinter Nights, then rename it as userpatch.ini

You also need the following line in the [Alias] section of nwn.ini:

PATCH=[User]\Documents\Neverwinter Nights\hak

where [User] is the full path to your User folder.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    oi, this is starting to sound like a lot of thinking is involved, although it's funny because i remember just last year or so when i played NWN all i had to do was drag some files into the hak / override folders with no muss or fuss and everything worked out fine, weird how that has changed now
  • MadHatterMadHatter Member Posts: 145
    edited December 2017
    That’s exactly how it works, just in your override folder not your hak.
    sarevok57
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,269
    If the content is supplied as a bunch of game files, it can just be dropped into override.

If it is supplied as a hak, dropping it into override won't work. To make the content appear in the official campaign, you need to install it as a patch hak, as previously explained.

The only way just dropping a hak into the hak folder does anything is if you have a custom module that is expecting it - that has no effect on the official campaign.

None of this has changed in EE (apart from the folder path and patch ini file name).

P.S. Using the override folder is a really bad idea if you're using a lot of custom content and/or fan-made modules. Files in override affect every module, so they can break things, and uninstalling a mod is a mare because it involves removing umpteen randomly-named files manually from a much larger set. A much easier approach is to put the override files for each mod into a patch hak. Then you can turn individual mods off temporarily by commenting them out in the userpatch.ini.
    sarevok57Zwerkules
  • fasthd97fasthd97 Member Posts: 34
    I couldnt get anything in my override to work at all but in the 0829 folder there is a folder called ovr that appears to be an override folder that seemed to work but broke the module for me so make a backup ovr folder before trying. I was trying to merge prc and a module so I wasnt expecting it to play nice.
  • ZwerkulesZwerkules Member Posts: 112
    It's a bad idea to put any files in the ovr directory. This is for Beamdog's override files. There is an override folder in your documents folder + /Neverwinter Nights/. That is where your override files belong.