Skip to content

Is there any reason *not* to start building a NWN:EE PW now?

omedon666omedon666 Member Posts: 48
edited December 2017 in General Discussions NWN:EE
My whole D&D group has NWN:EE headstart now, we have a few builders and script people from our "glory days" PW in this group, and we know we want to build something new...

So I'm wondering: I know that backwards compatibility is a huge thrust of the EE vision (and thank you for that), but is there any reason that we should hold off on building our "for keeps" NWN:EE persistent world now? It's nothing super complex, just an online RP platform of our D&D world with a bare bones "grind money, get gear" background game to have something to do. Is there any feature in the pipeline that wouldn't patch in seamlessly that would drastically alter our approach to building?

Comments

• RifkinRifkin Member Posts: 141
    edited December 2017
    I don't think Beamdog has a crystal ball, would be handy though.

What I'm saying is, you can probably start making your PW, but the future is uncertain. While they have every intention of keeping backwards compatibility, there are some things (for example, the master server authentication changes) that will never be backwards compatible. Of course, it seems like their proposed development path will not effect the backwards compatiblity of the Toolset or player made modules.
    Post edited by Rifkin on
  • ProphetSwordProphetSword Member Posts: 43
    I pondered the same thing. I have a Hall of Fame PW that's been live since 2004, built by myself and a couple of other great people. While we will likely port our server over, I have also begun building a "remastered" version of our server specifically for NWN:EE. If things go well with the development of NWN:EE, it might become the main server in the long run.

So, I didn't see a reason to wait. Better to do the work now so that a lot of it is done when the game is fully released. You can always change things if necessary.
    FinneousPJ
  • ShadooowShadooow Member Posts: 402
    now it is a perfect opportunity to build your pw, but hurry up
  • HipsterHipster Member Posts: 39
    As long as you stick to the current version that is, iinm 100% compatible with 1.67, there ought to be no game-breaking changes. But i am wondering very hard if or when they will upgrade to ee2 and add some heavy overhaul as well as wildly improved builder content. Looking forward to every bit of it i am.