Skip to content

Will the "official" 2.5 patch require starting a new game?

I started a run of BG:EE with the 2.5 beta patch on Steam + various mods (SCS, Big World packages, etc.), but I'm curious if when the beta is over, will I need to start a new game with the official release? Or can I just continue playing even when the beta is over with no issues? Didn't realize or think about this before starting and I'm already deeper into the game...

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    im assuming you should be good by the looks of it, i see that previous versions of the game working with the 2.5 patch
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    Vanilla games probably still work, but modded games could be an issue. You obviously have to reinstall all the mods after applying the patch.

The safest thing to do is move or copy your current installation, so that the patch won't overwrite it. Complete your campaign in that copy, and once you start a new campaign, do a fresh 2.5 install and install the mods you want.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FluentFluent Member Posts: 74
    edited December 2017
    @Thels, Would copying the installation to back it up be as easy as just copying the Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 folders in steamapps/common ? And then if anything happens I can just restore those? Any other files I should copy to be safe?
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    @Fluent Yeah, just copy that folder elsewhere.

You could backup the folder in my documents, just to be sure, though that shouldn't be needed. If you actually want your game backup to use the document backup, you need to edit the engine.lua file inside the game backup to match the new name.
  • FluentFluent Member Posts: 74
    Awesome, thanks @Thels! :smile:

Recently discovered BG modding. I'm literally in D&D heaven now, haha. EET, SCS and a lot of the "Recommended" BWS setup are really making the game a real joy to play again.

With these additions it might be my "personal best/favorite" CRPG ever, really...
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    Any idea when the new patch is out?
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Wilbur said:

It is out as an open beta.

edited December 2017
    Raduziel said:

Wilbur said:

But I mean in terms of having to reinstall a modded game. If I use the beta I'm probably still going to have to reinstall everything when it's released right?

Edit. typo
    Post edited by Wilbur on
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Wilbur said:

Raduziel said:

Wilbur said:

But I mean in terms of having to reinstall a modded game. If I use the beta I'm probably still going to have to reinstall everything when it's released right?

Edit. typo
    The only thing I had to do was reinstall any mods that altered or added strings to the game. But I had no problem with the saved game at all.

Tested on an IWDEE run from 1.4 to 2.5 beta. All the mods (once reinstalled) worked like a charm.
    Raduziel said:

Wilbur said:

Raduziel said:

Wilbur said:

Edit. typo
    The only thing I had to do was reinstall any mods that altered or added strings to the game. But I had no problem with the saved game at all.

Tested on an IWDEE run from 1.4 to 2.5 beta. All the mods (once reinstalled) worked like a charm.
    That's good to know, thanks. I have no idea which mods change strings, but I use Big World Setup so I guess I could just reinstall everything.