Skip to content

Cannot copy mod .exe files to 00783 folder

CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
Hello guys,

I've stumbled on a bit of a problem recently. After one of test mod installations Bitdefender 2018 happened to block setup_alternatives.exe (Alternatives mod .exe file) treating it as a threat. From this very moment I cannot copy any mod setup .exe files to this location (folder 00783 - BG2EE retail version). Interestingly enough, I can copy those files to BGEE retail (folder 00766) and also to BG2EE beta (folder 00546) safely.

I uninstalled retail BG2EE version and installed it again, but the issue remain. I cannot copy setup mod .exe files there. Any ideas how to fix it? I fear that even updating retail version to 2.5 when the patch comes out will not help if I don't find root cause of this problem.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Shandaxx said:

Hi,

I am unfamiliar with Bitdefender, so I can only make as guess. It seems Bitdefender is blocking that one folder (00783) alone?

Is there not an option to exclude a folder or a file from being scanned by Bitdefender?

You know in some way, like this.
    But that article got only a rating of 1.4/5 so I wouldn't get my hopes up.

An alternative seems to be, sending the file setup_alternatives.exe in to Bitdefender. They would then analyze it and possibly remove the detection. That way is described here.

I've tried to find a way to exclude entire folder but only see the option to exclude files. Besides even if Bitdefender initially blocked setup_alternatives.exe, I cannot copy any .exe file from other mods to this folder too.

Worst case scenario I'll change antivirus for something else.
    Shandaxx said:

Cahir said:

I've tried to find a way to exclude entire folder but only see the option to exclude files. Besides even if Bitdefender initially blocked setup_alternatives.exe, I cannot copy any .exe file from other mods to this folder too.

Worst case scenario I'll change antivirus for something else.

That sounds like the folder is blocked, not the file. Anyway, yeah, changing the antivirus software would be the next thing I'd do. You might wanna research first if there really is no way to exclude a folder, but if there isn't what other choice do you have?
    Luckily everything works well for BG2EE beta 2.5 (it's in different folder), so for now I'm good. I'll see if situation remains when I update retail version after 2.5 goes live. If not, I'll change antivirus software. Meanwhile, I'll try to find a way to exclude this folder from blocked list.

Appreciate your input @Shandaxx ;)
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    This happened to me with Iobit's Malware Fighter. Even having it selected and listed as an exception, the program still treated it as an infection. I to completely uninstall Malware Fighter and get an entirely new virus protection to get it to work again. Malware Fighter is based on BitDefender so I'm not surprised to see this.
    @ThacoBell wait a second, I also installed Iobit Malware Protection recently and maybe I'm blaming the wrong culprit, here. I'll unistall that one and see how it turns out.

@Shandaxx I have looked into these steps but apparently I have different Bitdefender version installed than described in this article, so it won't help me. I'll dig deeper, though :)
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Oh yeah, I am sworn off Iobit Malware because of that very reason.