Skip to content

De'Arnise Keep troll spawn (SCS)

Just started my first playthrough of bg2ee (played biowares version multiple times), also have SCS installed. I've noticed that the area is virtually empty of trolls, but as soon as I start combat, an endless stream of trolls comes out of nowhere, was wondering if anybody else had encountered this, and if it's intended behaviour as the spawn rate seems a little over the top.

Comments

• lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    A death spell should clean up the mess nicely.
    I have no idea why this bug happens, though. I have played with scs before and never had this.
  • InKalInKal Member Posts: 196
    looks like "better calls for help" on crack
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Daze16Daze16 Member Posts: 2
    It's not truly endless, but it's quite a lot. They were also constantly respawning. I cleared out normally through to the room with the yuan-ti mage (including side rooms), and as soon as I backtracked to get the 3rd flail head, the hallway and side rooms were filled with trolls again (no resting). It seems like calls to help combined with packs respawning when out of fog creating massive encounters. Was on normal difficulty and and party level was ~9.
  • MyragMyrag Member Posts: 328
    Yep, Pretty much SCS doing I have exactly the same spawns in DeArnise.

I'm not sure if its a bug or not but I like it. It's pretty fun on LOB since single troll takes so much time to kill.

If you have 'spirits trolls' option of SCS which make them cast flame strikes and holy smite it gets dangerous. My prefered tactic for this is to get Namarra from Crypt Lord in Graveyard District which gives you 3 times per day party friendly silence 15 yards. A very powerful spell with -5 saving throw. It will silence entire group of trolls with close to no chance of resisting. Spirit trolls do not have AI which checks if they are silenced which means they will burn their spells with casting failure.

One this is done then it's just tank & spank. Just make sure your frontliners are holding trolls in the hallway so backline don't get overrun.

Few good things against this many trolls are spells like Glitterdust and Slow. If you have also apply greater malison before them to guaranted to disable them. Blind from glitterdust and slow means -8AC and -8Thac0 penalty which means them just meat to be beaten.

Ps. Spirit trolls are woth 12k xp so groups like this can be worth around 100k xp making them easy farming spots once your tactics are right.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Just to add to the above^^^

Spirit Trolls die to "cloudkill" in the same way as umberhulks, virtually instantly.
    Not sure why as it kind of defeats the point of them being quite nasty opponents.
    But such easy XP.....