Skip to content

Why does "Advanced AI" script not try to Turn Undead?

I'm playing a Cleric/Ranger and using EE's "Advanced AI" script, with the "Turn Undead" option selected, but when entering combat with undead, I've never seen the AI use the turn feature -- he just casts spells and engages in combat.

I do have "Attack Enemies" enabled -- does that override "Turn Undead"?

I've also noticed that when I've manually tried to turn undead, the undead are strong enough to just be "turned" rather than "destroyed", so I'm wondering if perhaps the AI is "smart" enough to only bother with the feature if my level is high enough to destroy the undead?

Comments

• ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    It only does so if there're multiple destroyable undead in range, and it also prioritizes spellcasting over turning. In other words, it can only realistically use the ability against a mob of weak skeletons.
  • NervaNerva Member Posts: 133
    Thanks for the answer. So, would you say the AI is too conservative in using Turn Undead, or about right? My experience has been, just turning (rather than destroying) undead is a waste of time and frequently counterproductive (causing them to flee from melee combat where they're most effectively hit), so I'm OK with the AI reserving it for destroying undead.
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    I'd say it's the best AI can do without getting in the way too much.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    to destroy undead with the turn undead ability you need to be double their level for it to work, so realistically you can hit level 10 in SoD which means at best you might be able to destroy the odd ghoul or some such, even at level 8 you can't kill ghouls with turn undead, so if you are fighting even medium range undead baddies at best they will run away like silly nillies it won't be until SoA where you might be finding the turn undead ability to become a little bit more useful ( that is IF you are a single cleric class growing levels, a multi class cleric in general will always be too low of a level for those stronger undead baddies)