Skip to content

Dual wield partner for Spectral Brand in TOB?

I'm playing a Stalker and currently dual wield Spectral Brand +4 with Usuno's Blade +4. I recently replaced my off hand. I had Celestial Fury before, and Belm before that (but I got bored of it's +2, I wanted something better).

Based on my proficiencies, are there any better weapon combos for me? I am more or less at the beginning of TOB (doing the WK right now). (I thing Spectral Brand is good for my main, especially after I'll upgrade it).

Scimitar ++
Long Sword ++
Katana ++
Longbow ++
Flail/Morning Star +
Mace +
Two weapon style +++

As for play style I like to hide in shadow and do lots of Backstab if possible. I'm not doing a solo run, I'm in a party: Keldorn, Anomen, Mazzy, Jan and Neera.

cheers.

P.S. As far as I know I have all the weapons from SOA. I didn't miss any of them.

Comments

• PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    For something +4 or better?

Answerer (drop the target's stats on hit, best weapon in the game for a party)
    Angurvadal (cheap and cheerful ice and fire weapon mix)
    Crom Faeyr (doesn't need proficiency, backstab with your forehand)
    M0tanProont
  • M0tanM0tan Member Posts: 61
    Pantalion said:

Thanks for the fast reply.

Answerer - I don't have it yet.
    Angurvadal - Also don't have it yet, I just started lvl 4 WK so I'll have it shortly. But I need Liquid Mercury to upgrade it.
    Crom Faeyr - is used by Anomen as an off-hand weapon. His main is Flail of Aegis (+4 for now).

• PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Blackrazor: +3 or not, it's well worth being in the main hand it's so powerful.
    Defender of Everard: Makes you tankier without any fash.
    Hindo's Doom: Immune to death spells and 10% MR and you can pick it up in WK.
    Axe of the Unyielding: Even without proficiency this is a decent defensive offhand pick.
    ThacoBell
  • RedrakeRedrake Member Posts: 426
    M0tan said:

Pantalion said:

Angurvadal - Also don't have it yet, I just started lvl 4 WK so I'll have it shortly. But I need Liquid Mercury to upgrade it.
    Crom Faeyr - is used by Anomen as an off-hand weapon. His main is Flail of Aegis (+4 for now).

Crom Faeyr. And kill Anomen. Get Aerie or Viconia instead.
    Pantalion said:

Axe of the Unyielding: Even without proficiency this is a decent defensive offhand pick.

Thanks. Will check them out.
    Redrake said:

M0tan said:

Pantalion said:

Crom Faeyr. And kill Anomen. Get Aerie or Viconia instead.
    Heheeh. Good one. I've played with this party the entire SOA and plan to stick to it till the end of TOB. Next playthrough will have Aerie though.
  • MichelleMichelle Member Posts: 549
    Belm will give you the most benefit. Lame, I know, it doesn't matter though as the extra attack is on main hand weapon.

For backstabbing I think the best to worst would go like this:
    Big Metal Unit
    Staf of the Ram +4, (+6 the extra damage is crushing, I believe, and doesn't multiply)
    Angurvadal +5
    And from there it gets more muddled. Do you want max POSSIBLE damage or max GUARANTEED damage. Since you are running a Stalker and have no access to maxing damage via cleric spell or Kensai ability I think that max guaranteed damage would be better. Seriously, assassin dualed to cleric after getting UAI, Simulacrum + Black Blade of Disaster + Wizard Eye is obscene. Walk around chunking anything that can be backstabbed. Anyway
  • MichelleMichelle Member Posts: 549
    Grr! Accidentally hit post.

Below those weapons it's mostly preference. Two lower level weapons that are so much better than they seem are Staff of Striking and Namarra +2. +9 for the Staff(non-magical though) and +4 for Namarra are incredible for backstabbing almost as soon as leaving Irenicus' fun house.

Offhand though best bets are:
    Kundane
    Belm
    Crom Faeyr
    Axe of the Unyealding
    Defender if you have it
    Angurvadal

Well, that is my opinion anyway. I think that Kundane and Belm are very hard to beat for damage dealers. Improved Haste on your Stalker would give you 9 attacks with Spectral Brand and one crap one per round.
    gorgonzola
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,014
    Pantalion said:

Does Blackrazor's disintegrate effect still destroy items on the disintegratee?
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Celestial Fury all the way.

Even if it doesn't hit, the stun effect can turn a battle.
    Especially in TOB with the large mob attacks.
    You can effectively run around stunning enemies one after the other and let the others chop them up.
    A stunned Fire giant can't hit anything, for instance.
    OrlonKronsteenProontAerakargorgonzola
  • SouplesseSouplesse Member Posts: 131
    Nothing can beat +1 Apr off hand. Don't care about +2, you make dps with your main hand. Your Stalker gets 5 Apr with the gauntlet, 10 with improve hast, ... critical strike then .. yay
    Proontgorgonzola
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    Aerakar said:

nope
    from wiki:
    "Every opponent hit by this weapon has a 15% chance that 4 levels are drained, while healing the wielder of the blade with 20 points, hasting him and raising the wielder's strength for 20 seconds. Raising the strength is cumulative up to the maximum strength of 25!"
    the effect of IH and 25str is crazy strong and in my testing is more the time the welder is under it than the time is not....

Aerakar

Two lower level weapons that are so much better than they seem are Staff of Striking and Namarra +2. +9 for the Staff(non-magical though) and +4 for Namarra are incredible for backstabbing almost as soon as leaving Irenicus' fun house.

about the staff not being magical is a real advantage against some foe
    mage casts PFMW, backstabbed and problem solved, mages have bad AC and HP.

my choice of weapons for dw is the one Anomen uses, or FoA and a +1apr OH if i need many belts for enhancing str (thing that in my typical parties where everybody must cast and must fight, slings benefit from str using magical bullets, is quite common). but as Anomen uses them you anyway benefit of FoA, whose slowing effect is probably more powerful that his raw damage.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137

Aerakar said:

nope
    from wiki:
    "Every opponent hit by this weapon has a 15% chance that 4 levels are drained, while healing the wielder of the blade with 20 points, hasting him and raising the wielder's strength for 20 seconds. Raising the strength is cumulative up to the maximum strength of 25!"
    the effect of IH and 25str is crazy strong and in my testing is more the time the welder is under it than the time is not....
    That quote doesn't really address the question. (Also, the BG wiki is still not a reliable source.) As of v1.3, loot was destroyed when characters were permanently killed from level drain. I don't see anything in the 2.0-2.3 release notes about this being changed, but I could have missed something.
    Aerakar
    edited January 2018
    level drain is not disintegration, but i don't know if now items are destroyed when characters are permanently killed from level drain, your question makes sense.
    What i can tell you is that even if i used many times blackrazor on my blades and other characters i never had a single kill for level draining, and with bosses and others that carry the really useful loot is even more unlikely as they have high level and the draining happens only on 15% of the hits. let's say you fight a lev 20 foe he needs 5 level drains, so about 40 hits, as after the first you fight with 25 str (assuming you have a str enhancer to begin with) so you will kill him for damage anyway, given the damage of weapon + the 14dmg/hit of str.
    unless you continue to hit a mage protected by multiple stoneskins, that let pass trough the drain and not the damage or constantly cast healing spells on the enemy i don't see how he can survive enough to die for level draining.
    it is useful as makes the mages loose spells and spell levels (when the spells are not anyway cast by scripts), and lowers fighter's thac0, but i can not remember a single time that i had an enemy level drained to death.
    Edit: also lowering their ST is something that can not be ignored, give to someone 4 or 8 levels less and probably will save a lot less against vorpal weapons, spells, wands and anything related to ST.

the strength of blackrazor is that it nerfs every enemy not immune to level drain while buffs for free your character, and welding a +1apr off hand the buff happens early in the fight and lasts until it ends as in more than 3 (IH and +1apr w. OH) rounds is almost sure that is applied again.
    Post edited by gorgonzola on
    Aerakar
  • marilithmarilith Member Posts: 25
    Item Upgrade mod offers some nice weapons, my favourite is Water's Talon +4 scimitar that poisons enemies, makes you immune to charm and horrid wilting.
    edited January 2018
    my favorites are fulcrum mace, Grand Maestry for jaheira, minsk or every dual class that is prevented but having some ranger or fighter inside would have benefit of the increased apr, being itself a really good mace with disrupting features. really useful also for each fighter that use pips for slashing and piercing, like mazzi or some charnames, when they have to face golems or other foe that need crushing just equip it and fight with GM without even a pip in mace.
    and the improved anti undead axe, negative plan protection on top of a ranged weapon that has good chance to vorpal kill undeads, have someone equipping it hasted and many lich battles are won before they begin to set up defenses.
    water's talon is anyway fantastic, it is my usual choice for jaheira in my modded original runs.

what i also utterly appreciated was the melting together boots and rings with some other components.
    a lot less going to inventory and change rings and boots.

EDIT: fulcrum is a club not a mace, and i did perfectly know it ( using it with jaheira and some backstabbing thieves) but for some reason i wrote multiple times mace.
    Post edited by gorgonzola on
    StummvonBordwehrmarilith