Skip to content

No discount for CHA in Sorcerer's Sundries??

I thought I'd read that high CHA and/or high reputation reduce the prices when buying items from vendors. Yet in Siege of Dragonspear, when I'm shopping at Sorcer's Sundries in BG, I've looked at prices using characters with CHA's of 10 and 17, and also 17+2=19 (with Nymph Cloak), and the prices are all the same.

Another question I have is, if CHA does matter, does that mean you need to do all the buying with your highest CHA character, or does the game use a "group CHA" that is the highest of all the party members?

Comments

•  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    The character with the highest CHA must be in the leading position in the party.
  • NervaNerva Member Posts: 133
    Oh, so if I reorder the party prior to buying items... that would work?
  • unavailableunavailable Member Posts: 268
    Whichever portrait you drag to the top is the character whose charisma is used. You really shouldn't have to do that, but I guess it is one of the things beamdog don't know how to fix.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985

Whichever portrait you drag to the top is the character whose charisma is used. You really shouldn't have to do that, but I guess it is one of the things beamdog don't know how to fix.

More accurately, that's how the original game worked: it went off of party leader. Beamdog is contractually bound to not make changes to game mechanics without the approval of Wizards of the Coast. There have been a few such things done, mostly known bugs -- for example, Quayle's dexterity was originally too low for him to be an illusionist, but Beamdog fixed that on approval. But for the most part, if that's how the original game worked, then that's how it works now.
  • NervaNerva Member Posts: 133
    Yeah... if the game required Charname to be the party leader, that would be one thing, but given that the party can be reordered at any time, there's no reason not to just let the party use the character with the highest CHA to make it easier on people.

Fortunately, now that I know to reorder the party when buying, it's pretty easy to do as a workaround...