I'm currently in the middle of my first playthrough of IWD, in Upper Dorn's Deep, and by now, I've realized that combat in this game differs quite significantly from BG2 (in which I'm a fairly good sorcerer). This one is more combat-heavy, has lesser mages and thus combat and spell protections, and a LOT of undead (who are immune to cold damage and stinking cloud besides other things). There are also plenty of opportunities for stealth since nobody (I've met yet) casts True Sight or other divination spells.
Now to my question. With all these differences, my BG2 sorcerer Spell book (that is, my spell selections) is not at all optimized for this game. Thus I'd ask for some help in selecting spells for my sorcerer.
Here is what I've selected till now. (I don't remember the order though. Also, I would change them on my second playthrough, based on the suggestions I'd receive.)
- Sleep (This was great in BG, but I was disappointed by it when I saw the majority being undead)
- Magic Missile (an obvious choice)
- Shield (It blocks magic missiles and that other level 4 force missiles spell)
- Chromatic orb (Too bad that a save negates it totally)
- Identify (Yes, I want it)
- Melf's Acid Arrow (Only decent damage spell of this level, as it seems)
- Invisibility (scouting purposes and with Sunfire)
- Snilloc's Snowball Storm (poor damage and useless against undead. Also I didn't see any fire using enemies till now)
- Horror (I shouldn't have taken this one)
- Mirror Image (Great, just great. Blur is good but I got it from that sash already.)
- Skull Trap (Good damage. Doesn't seem to trigger sometimes though.)
- Haste (Universally useful)
- Slow (Didn't know what else to take)
- Vitriolic Sphere (The effective damage is on one target, since the splash damage is unfriendly and not much)
- Stoneskin (It gave me the courage to step amidst the mobs)
- Minor Globe of Invulnerability (After taking it, I noticed that there are just not that many sources of spell damage as I expected earlier.)
- Sunfire (I go invisible, put on stoneskin, and cast this repeatedly in midst of enemies. Better than cone of cold)
- Chaos (Now that I've taken it, I realize it's not that useful. Enemies by now seem to make a save most of the times.)
So that's it as of now. My prime concerns are whether I should take any summoning spells and if so what, and if spells like breach, secret word are useful. Also I noticed Dimension Door is still there in this game. General spell suggestions will also be very helpful.
I must mention that I'm playing with a party which has got a mage in it for accessory spells, and I'm playing on Normal difficulty.
I'll be glad if you share your experiences, wisdom and ideas with me.