Skip to content

date, time, and timestamp code hooks

We had a custom addition to NWNX built for us 10 yeas ago but we no longer use NWNX since it is all Linux. We really need these hooks added to the scripting - date, time, and timestamp - Please and Thank You.
RoAnnon

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Please, don't use this subforum for NEW requests, - only for those that are in the Boards already.
  • charissa1066charissa1066 Member Posts: 33
    edited December 2017

Please, don't use this subforum for NEW requests, - only for those that are in the Boards already.

Please, you could provide a link and/or instructions to where we should post NEW requests? There's a lot of forums and subforums here. It's confusing at best.
    Post edited by charissa1066 on
    Jarrakul
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Please, don't use the NWN:EE Trello Board Discussion category for NEW requests, - only for those that are in the Boards already. I've moved the thread to https://forums.beamdog.com/categories/nwn-general-discussions. In the same time, continue to post requests on the forum (any section of https://forums.beamdog.com/categories/neverwinter-nights, except for the Trello Board), they'll find their way to the Input board and thus maybe one day return to the NWN:EE Trello Board Discussion category :)
  • charissa1066charissa1066 Member Posts: 33
    Ok. I'm sorry.
  • Barry_1066Barry_1066 Member Posts: 77
    One of the uses these three are used on Realms of Annakolia (were until no more NWNX for windows) - henchmen removal. Custom henchmen/creatures that die and leave bodies used these script hooks for removal.

Restocking growing resources for crafting - the timer can be CPU intensive, such time calls can free up the CPU.

With hundreds of plants growing some resource, using the timer to regrow is really not such a good idea.

These script have database application as well - so much more important for PWs than just a small module but if PW are being supported - then very important.
    charissa1066NeverwinterWights
    edited December 2017
    Scripting hooks and commands seem to be the ignored poor street riffraff - they are not shiny - they are not overtly promising new content and wonderful things one can see -- they are bone and structure hidden for most. Code holds things together and or support other more glamorous things.

DNA is important to an organism but we do not see it - not without special equipment and procedures mixed with knowledge that most people do not possess. DNA is the coding language of that organism just as code is for NWN. Without some DNA strands, that organism looses functionality - it could be a profound loss of functionality, yet the cause is not well understood.

Code is a special case then - to require a popular vote on code hooks is a loosing battle for these reasons.

The code hooks I propose and a few others have asked for are still not on the Trello and in fact I am not sure there is an appropriate category to place them - where? Under Engine? or what?

I do hope the importance of code enhancement with these and a few other hooks are seriously considered - with no appearance on the Trillo boards however it does not seem so.
  • MalisharaMalishara Member Posts: 16

In the same time, continue to post requests on the forum (any section of https://forums.beamdog.com/categories/neverwinter-nights, except for the Trello Board), they'll find their way to the Input board and thus maybe one day return to the NWN:EE Trello Board Discussion category :)

This topic has 10 likes and 1 agree, and STILL is not on the Trello Input board. Topics with far less likes, that would require a MASSIVE recode of the engine, HAVE made their way to the input board. These requested features should be relatively trivial to code, and would provide a huge functionality to scripters.

If this is not an example of how flawed this suggestion system is, I do not know what is.
    Barry_1066
  • SymphonySymphony Member, Developer Posts: 142
    Malishara said:

Trello problems

Barry's post was cross-posted confusingly in several places, and responded to with this comment.

I'm not 100% sure what Beamdog can code into the game as "code for coding things", I don't know who would be 100% sure about that kind of thing.

Meanwhile, if there are essential NWNX features you enjoyed and are imperative to the continuing function of advanced persistency features, I would be shocked if they did not make it into a 1.74 version of NWNX.

While it is the case that there are some rudimentary forms of NWNX being released (by mostly an army of one person with an unimaginable amount of other things on her plate to be reissuing code while Beamdog patches every week), Beamdog has not released NWN: EE yet, nor will they be making their own version of 3rd party injection software. That is something we will need to be doing as a community, and it's still kind of weird that they are okay with making it easy for us.

This (essentially 5-business-day old) Trello system is a remarkably different approach than anything I've seen from any other game studio. However, there are a lot of different opinions at present, and it's very difficult for different parts of the community to know which features are and are not massive recodes.

Even if it was not the holiday season, I don't think there is any occasion to rush listings. I think the Trello system will be in continual operation for Beamdog unless it becomes a source of problems instead of a source of inspiration.
    Omnipsi
    edited December 2017
    Symphony said:

Malishara said:

Trello problems

Barry's post was cross-posted confusingly in several places, and responded to with this comment.

Meanwhile, if there are essential NWNX features you enjoyed and are imperative to the continuing function of advanced persistency features, I would be shocked if they did not make it into a 1.74 version of NWNX.

While it is the case that there are some rudimentary forms of NWNX being released (by mostly an army of one person with an unimaginable amount of other things on her plate to be reissuing code while Beamdog patches every week), Beamdog has not released NWN: EE yet, nor will they be making their own version of 3rd party injection software. That is something we will need to be doing as a community, and it's still kind of weird that they are okay with making it easy for us.

Sorry but this is not helpful - again with the NWNX - a linux ONLY program at this point that is 3rd party option that abandoned us (windows users) some five years ago or more. I will NOT use NWNX - so needed spell hooks I have asked for and Funkyswerve has asked for need to be in NWN EE.

So no - NWNX is NOT an option - it broke my world in the past and it will not be relied on again. NWNX is Linux - a platform I choose NOT to use. NWNX does not run my custom plug-in any more anyway so there is no point.

I am looking for Beamdog to add these spell hooks, not to be redirected to NWNX.

The Trello board being new and with the seasonal activities I agree that it might not be getting the attention it will shortly be given - thank you for pointing that out. I agree that the Trello board is unprecedented and is an amazing community resource.

Again, Thank You
    Until we get these commands back, several systems are broken - we have a creature capture system for custom summons. Once the summons is dead there is a two hour delay tied to the time stamp. That means that until we get this function back, one way or another, those can never be re-summoned.

There are other systems we were working on for quests - all broken with the loss of these calls with the time stamp - The time calls are not available in NWNX even if we moved to Linux (something I am unable to do with the hardware without a hardware rebuild.

I also, for the same reasons cannot run docker - however if I were to do what is needed to get Linux up and running on my server machine, still NWNX does not have the time calls.

SQL does, I am told have the time calls - and there is a Trello board listing for that being added to base NWN EE - which would be fine - however running SQL or SQL light or any version of it, just for the time calls seems an overkill since we are all NWN DB based and with the exception of these time call, we have had no issues. Yes we have coded some work arounds and coded some DB features that make the NWN DB work better and more efficiently but we choose to stay with NWN DB to not be dependent on other outside programs.

These calls should be very easy to make - easy to do - great benefit to all - these should be considered.
  • BalanorBalanor Member Posts: 176
    edited January 2018
    Edit: Forget it. It's not worth the effort to try and point out alternatives to this team.
    Post edited by Balanor on
  • MalisharaMalishara Member Posts: 16
    If you look at this Wikipedia entry, you will see that C includes those functions in a standard library. It would be trivial to add these functions to NWscript... and they would add a LOT of functionality.

@Balanor
    How would you sync that to the actual time? You would need to do that if you want to, say, reset daily quests at a specific time of day.
    How would do an extended period cooldown accurately if the server restarts for some reason? Without syncing to the actual time, I don't think you can.

This script is quite lengthy to do something a proper timestamp function could do in one line of code, and it still does sync to real time - something that is quite necessary to properly implement daily quests.
    charissa1066