Skip to content

Proposed: Support for Multiple TLK files

A request from the community came up in Savant's Aielund Saga thread over here: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/67661/aielund-saga-enhanced-edition#latest , to update his TLK to provide better in-game descriptions of spells and effects. The core issue is that Aielund uses arQon's EMS system, which is a complete re-write of the spell scripts to fix a lot of issues (like dispel calculations, etc).

The problem is that Aielund also uses CEP, which comes with a TLK. I think the CEP TLK would be mostly orthogonal to one supporting EMS, in terms of 2da coverage. So, it might be reasonable integration-wise, if we were to assign two TLKs to a module and tell the mod to use CEP's TLK for everything except spells.2da, feat.2da, and iprp_spells.2da references (for example). Even if there were come conflicts, it could reduce the maintenance work for updates.

As it stands right now, there is little incentive for Savant (or anyone) to undertake an EMS+CEP tlk integration effort as one would be committing to keeping up with two sets of moving targets.

If this idea found support, it might also be helpful for some folks playing with stuff like NWNPRC, or some racial systems.

So the basic idea, to summarize:

1) Assign mutliple TLKs to a module
2) Designate one default TLK from the list
3) Designate specific 2DA <-> TLK relationships to honor

Cheers,
-Dave

Comments

• ShadowMShadowM Member Posts: 573
    He could grab my hr base tlk file and spell.2da that has all spells names and descriptions linked(this so people can easily make their own campaign(with their own spell setting/names/descriptions) and compatible with cep and write in the changes into the tlk file copy and paste into his cep/module tlk file. A little bit of work, do not know how extensive EMS spell system is documented on it spell changes. If he use 2daEdit you can copy/paste down columns. Just a option to think about. Good luck.
  • MadHatterMadHatter Member Posts: 145
    Reading @Savant1974 comments made me think this has less to do with how difficult tlk editing is but rather that he is a busy guy who has been largely disconnected from modding since 2007 and it would be an endeavor to relearn it and go through the tedium.

I mean ultimately it’s just copying some spell descriptions into the CEP tlk, updating the appropriate 2da lines, and adding Aielund.tlk to the CC.

Not sure that’s so cumbersome as to warrant Beamdog dedicating energy to allowing 2x custom tlks on top of dialog.tlk.
  • SyrusGreycloakSyrusGreycloak Member Posts: 10
    So I had an idea about requesting this myself, and lo and behold, there's already a thread about it.

Per the tlk documentation:
    A module may specify that it uses an alternative talk table besides dialog.tlk.
    If a module uses an alternate talk table, then bit 0x01000000 of a StrRef specifies whether the
    StrRef should be fetched from the normal dialog.tlk or from the alternate tlk file, If the bit is 0, the
    StrRef is fetched as normal from dialog.tlk. If the bit is 1, then the StrRef is fetched from the
    alternative talk table.
    If the alternate tlk file does not exist, could not be loaded, or does not contain the requested
    StrRef, then the StrRef is fetched as normal from the standard dialog.tlk file.

Could it be expanded to add a high byte instead of using the high bits of the current value to allow using multiple custom tlk tables? The community could setup a standard as to which ones to put where, so long as the UI gives us the option to order appropriately and perhaps leave some spots empty.

So, for example:
    0/no value - standard game tlk
    1 - leave for module/pw world builders own content

And the various community teams decide the following,:
    2 - CEP
    3 - PRC
    4 - <some other system>
    5 - <some other system>
    <cap at 8? 16?>

Then each large project can have their 2das have the correct numbers because they'll know 'slot x is used by my project, so all my strrefs must be high byte value + line number'. Builders would just have to slot the tlks in the correct spot and possibly merge 2das together for their top haks.

The issues I see are:
    - restructuring the toolset custom content UI to facilitate 'slotting' the tlks to associate the correct high byte value to the respective file. Perhaps, per the example above, I don't want to use CEP, but I want PRC, and it has to come in as 3 to keep their 2da values correct. 2 would (and possibly 1 if a module builder doesn't use their own tlk file) need to be blank and the game engine would need to make sure the relevant file gets assigned the correct value you need.
    - updating the module ifo gff to handle a list of alternate tlks structs, plus allow blank entries in the list & relevant code for this
    - updating code to handle extra byte if it currently cannot handle the extra value already (i.e. code uses smaller data type)
    - backwards compatibility for old modules using custom tlks- map values using the 01 high-bit from the previous method to the first specified alternate tlk as before
  • SyrusGreycloakSyrusGreycloak Member Posts: 10
    Was searching for multiple tlk requests and didn't realize this wasn't in the trello section - sorry for necroing
  • meaglynmeaglyn Member Posts: 149
    TLK editing does not have to be hard, at least on Linux.
    Try this meaglyns-nwn-tlk-compiler