Skip to content

Korgan or Sarevok?

I'm getting towards the end of BG2 on my current run, and debating who to bring in TOB. Evil Charname is a Blade, so I need Viconia, Edwin and Hexxat for casting spells and opening doors. I don't really want to drop Dorn because I'm romancing him and I haven't seen any of his TOB content before.

This leaves me with Korgan as the only logical person to remove from the party. (Possibly by letting him get killed during the Hell Trials! That could be good roleplaying fun.) Blades are good tanks with Defensive Spin, but I'm a little worried about the lack of mobility that would lead to in some fights. How is Sarevok at tanking, compared to Korgan?

(I want to decide now because I'm trying to decide whether to forge Crom Faeyr or not. Korgan has Grand Mastery in War Hammers, but I usually give Sarevok the Ravager.)

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    when it comes to combat korgan is better as ThacoBell mentioned because of his berserk ability, plus being a dwarf he has amazing saves

but Sarevok does have some tricks up his sleeve, in the fact that he can dual class into either a thief or a mage, granted it takes awhile to get his fighter abilities back but he does kick quite a bit of butt when he does get them back

so if you REALLY want to bring him along you can take out hexxat and dual sarevok to a thief ( although if you want to keep hexxat for her ToB stuff ) or you can turn him into a mage and drop edwin, although again edwin is better at spell casting than Sarevok is, but hey, you could do it just for the lulz if you want

but worse case scenario if you do drop korgan for Sarevok you can also make Sarevok go hammer and board style, as soon as you get Sarevok he levels up to level 18 ( from 17 ) so you can choose a proficiency point right away, and it won't be long until you hit level 21 where he will be specialized in hammers, and he will still have enough ToB time to get grand mastery in hammers

but if it were me i would just keep korgan if you already brought him through SoA
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Korgan.

You know you can already kick Sarevok's arse and so does everybody else you meet. Hardly going to strike terror into your foes now is it?
  • InKalInKal Member Posts: 196
    Korgan can Axe of Unyielding+Crom obliterate everything.
    Sarevok can Silver Sword+GWW obliterate everything probably even faster than Korgan actually.

but...

Korgan is more fun to play in my opinion. If you don't need to deal with really powerful and cheesy enemies (like Pontifex) stick with the shorty!
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    about dualing Sarewok is possible, but if you don't plan to use some tactics to level him fast (if needed i can tell you about, just know that having Hexxat and Edvin in the party you can have his dual complete before even leaving the pocket plane, in less of 2 rl hours of gaming) is a nightmare to do it, with a full party you will have him ready only for a fraction of ToB, the last when your party have already the power of fighting against anything without problem, unless you use really hard mods.

The thing that make Sarevok special is his special attack, that imo most of the times triggers when is not needed, against a weak helper or someone already damaged, so what difference if he dies with 1 hit or 2?

the same is true, to some extent, for vorpal weapons, the really tough ones are immune and on other foe if you use GWW to have it trigger i don't see all that difference. very few not immune will survive to the GWW anyway. I prefer to focus on weapons (and fighters) that give reliable damage output over relying on vorpal or deathbringer attack, but it is my own style of playing, to do the opposite is not wrong.

i would chose Korgan each day of the week, shorty saves, bersek, DW crom in OH, what a fighter!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    Defensive Spin and some mage buffs stack to easily reach the best AC possible in the game, then your stoneskin lasts very long and mirror images do the rest. add immunity form a magic school, or pfmw, or other protections from spells an few can tank better than a blade even in tob.
    defensive spin is nice, arcane spells are better, combining them is best.
  • marilithmarilith Member Posts: 25
    You can remove Hexxat, she is a waste of space being a single classed thief. Anyway, I would choose Sarevok over Korgan anytime. I love when he says 'I fear nothing' :D
  • The Dorn ToB quest is horrible, really horrible. It ought to have ended with the SoA conclusion, but noooo.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975

The Dorn ToB quest is horrible, really horrible. It ought to have ended with the SoA conclusion, but noooo.

the only thing i found good about it is the god like armor that you can create from it, the potential to make two suits of over powered full plate mail, a power gamer's dream