Skip to content

Need tips for area testing

fot1fot1 Member Posts: 74
I have never worked with the aurora toolset before, only did some scripts. But this time I'm working in a full module. Currently on 20 areas or so, but I need to revisit them for lightning and sound. Anyway, I need to test some different areas, with different characters from different classes and different levels. I wonder if more experienced toolseters can share how they approach area testing?

One thing that I find bad is that hitting the test module button always load the first saved character. If I could pick the character to use would be easier. I couldn't find in the toolset, but did not suggested as an enhancement because I believe there should be a way I haven't managed to find.

How do you create your test characters? You download a test character module, level up, save the character and then load on your module? Or there is a way to generate a "standard level 5 fighter" and "level 40 weapon master", for instance?

So yeah, right now I started the server and loaded the module locally, then I have a shortcut on my desktop that connects to the module. I create the characters I need then use them. But then they start to level up and I lose control on them. And then is better to just recreate and level up a new character.

Do you have any resources, like scripts or wands that make this easier for you and mind to share?

Thank you!

Comments

• ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,281
    edited January 2018
    If you look at my Enigma Island or Dark Energy modules, you'll find a script called bh_party which levels up, adding associates & equipment. The module chat event is scripted to fire it from chat. So the unit test procedure is F9 the first bic, chat p, play through area with instant party.

I tend to have one stock PC at the top of the local vault, e.g. Aaron/Abigail Testalot the level 1 fighter, for area testing. Then, during end-to-end testing, I run through the entire module for several classes (fighter, rogue, wizard & monk at minimum). Of course, if you prefer to test classes at the unit stage, you can put a different bic on top each time.

PS modders tend to hang out at Neverwinter Vault.
  • AncarionAncarion Member Posts: 155
    Character creator modules are the easiest way to generate a stable of various class/level characters, just make sure they don't use any haks that you aren't planning to use in your own module.

Before EE, it was easy to bug out the game by renaming a character bic file to something like "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa", causing f9 to take you to the character select list instead and allowing you to test the module with any character you wanted. This was unfortunately "fixed" in EE, so now you have to actually run the game in order to pick a particular character.

I use a lot of custom items in my modules, so I always make a hidden area stocked with an assortment of gear for various classes and levels. I then jump the character there, equip them, and then save them.
  • fot1fot1 Member Posts: 74
    Thanks @Ancarion. Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you save a character, it appends (NUMBER) on the end of his name, so to be able to use the saved character, you need to delete the older one to avoid it be in the front?
  • AncarionAncarion Member Posts: 155
    fot1 said:

Thanks @Ancarion. Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you save a character, it appends (NUMBER) on the end of his name, so to be able to use the saved character, you need to delete the older one to avoid it be in the front?

Personally, I like to have copies of the same character at different levels, so I don't pay attention to the numbering added to the file name. Now, if you want to be able to use a particular character during F9 testing, the name needs to be first in alphabetical order among all your characters. You could do this temporarily by adding an "a" or two directly to the beginning of the name of bic file, and switch that out as needed with other character files as you continue testing.
  • ShadowMShadowM Member Posts: 573
    edited January 2018
    nwmain.exe" +LoadNewModule "module name"
    -> sends you to the character gen screen
    To your shortcut.
    That should save you time getting to pick your character to test the module with (I use to remember way back in the day it also let you select the character(got patched out or something or just my memory wrong)
    Post edited by ShadowM on
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    Just for testing purposes I created a "Tank" PC and called him Aaron Androvitch. If I want to test with a different character I just open the game itself (you should save the module first when you use F9 anyway) and open the module as new.

TR
  • TerrorbleTerrorble Member Posts: 169
    I never use F9.

I have a test area with flags for adding/subtracting 50k xp and to force rest me for character build testing purposes. There's a container with gear, crafting stuff, and anything else I've tested over time.

I modify the OnPlayerChat event to teleport me to the test area if I type "testarea".
    If there are specific areas I need to test, I'll drop a WP there and similarly have it transport me to those if I type "goto_TESTWP1".

In the test area I can spawn whatever creature I need by typing its resref into chat. I'll have a notepad file open with all of those in it so I can copy and paste.