Skip to content

Five years

tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
Five years ago today I got the worst news of my life: I was diagnosed with ocular melanoma, a rare form of cancer that has no cure. A biopsy revealed I had the aggressive, deadly form. That meant my life expectancy went from twenty-five years to about four in a doctor's visit.

Long story short, life has been pretty damn rough these past five years on a lot of different fronts. (I'll spare you the boring details.) However, I am still here, it still hasn't spread (which is how it kills you), and I have spent five years enjoying these great games from my young(er) days. It's been one of the few bright spots (and some days it seems like the only bright spot) in five turbulent years that make puberty seem like a breeze. Thank you, Beamdog, and thank you to everyone here on the forums.
ZaghouljoluvArctodusdeltagosemiticgoddessBelleSorcierebleusteelNonnahswritertaclaneThacoBellStummvonBordwehrAerakardunbarJuliusBorisovBelgarathMTHcharissa1066dreamtravelerNimranmodestvoltaOrlonKronsteenelminsterRaduzielCamDawgAedanbob_vengsarevok57

Comments

• ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    I'm sorry. I had never heard of that and just read up on it a little. I'm glad to hear it has not spread yet. I think I understand what you mean about the games, sometimes that one bright spot is all it seems we have, but it helps deal with the darker thoughts a little.
    Thanks for sharing that, I know it can't be easy talkin bout it.
    BelgarathMTHOrlonKronsteentbone1
    Heh, I know what you mean on the 'hmmm's'. I remember hearin a few of those when the doctor's were seeing my burns. Hopefully the doctor your seeing for the cancer has taken the time to talk when you need it. Some sure as heck don't when they give us unwelcome and life threatening news. I swear I think that if surgeons were made to get cut on as part of their training it might improve their 'bedside' manner more.

If you don't mind me asking how did they give a time frame when you have no metastases? I'll understand if you do though, not easy.
    OrlonKronsteen
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited January 2018
    [LAWYER] You can always download and play my mods as a form of celebration [/LAWYER]

Edit: Seriously now. I think that it's fantastic how you are able to keep your humour. My first months in a wheelchair I was grumpy as f*c* and almost someone unbearable to stand with.

It took me a lot of time (and therapy) to understand that sh*t happens and sometimes they happen with you.
    Post edited by Raduziel on
    tbone1OrlonKronsteen
    tbone1 said:

So, I had CT scans this week. The good news is that they showed no evidence of disease in my torso. The bad news is that the radiolgists no longer let me update my medication list via interpretive dance.

That is good news. :)
    StummvonBordwehr
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    Would it be insensitive of me to say that when I first clicked on this thread, I was half-expecting a discussion of the David Bowie song??

All kidding aside, as someone whose girlfriend has been battling cancer for almost 3 years, hats of to your continued survival and positive attitude. I hope one day in the future no one has to go through the ordeal this disease in all it's forms inflicts on those diagnosed with it and their loved ones. That day may be far off, but everyone should know that people battling cancer are among the bravest people in the world, on a daily basis.
    Grond0tbone1ThacoBellOrlonKronsteen
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    edited January 2018
    Thanks. Part of that attitude comes from how I was raised. Yes, life is sh*t sometimes, but there's no sense in making it worse. A big part, though, was going through my clinical trial at MD Anderson in Houston. It's a top research hospital; you get a lot of desperate people from all over the world there. My first day, trying to deal with a paperwork snafu, I was really down until I heard a woman approach a desk and say "Hello, my husband is here to get his jaw replaced."

And once you've seen kids being wheeled around a cancer hospital, you quit whining and start living. My first thought was "Okay, at least I made my 40s and I'm walking out of here today."
    RaduzielArctodusThacoBellOrlonKronsteen
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    @tbone1

So you're basically a better version of Walter White?

That's badass and a good example for the community at the same time.
    tbone1
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    @Raduziel Eh, if I'm a good example for the community, the community really sucks. I just try to do what I can, mitigate what I can't, and move on. But I can be cranky. I remember watching Bill Maher talk with Jerry Seinfeld, and Maher said "when you get to 60, you're allowed to be cranky". I'm not there (yet, I hope), but still, I think I've earned the right.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    tbone1 said:

@Raduziel Eh, if I'm a good example for the community, the community really sucks. I just try to do what I can, mitigate what I can't, and move on. But I can be cranky. I remember watching Bill Maher talk with Jerry Seinfeld, and Maher said "when you get to 60, you're allowed to be cranky". I'm not there (yet, I hope), but still, I think I've earned the right.

I'm only 50 and I'm already cranky even though I haven't been through half what you have. Keep up the good fight @tbone1 !