Skip to content

A BG2:EE Speedrun from the Awesome Games Done Quick

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
Post edited by JuliusBorisov on

Comments

• gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    wow, real fun to watch it, thanks!
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    What was that?
    What is this?

I am very confused right now.

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYY...............
    edited January 2018
    speed runs is a mode of playing that some very experienced players use. the goal is to complete a game in the fastest time possible. real time. using every exploit that does not involve the use of the console or enabling cheats is allowed, you can not ctrl-y enemies or use console to give you levels, money or items.

but you can use the familiar or other tricks, like shapeshift in a larger creature, to be "teleported" beyond doors or walls, and so on.
    someone that is not into this kind of things needs probably to watch the video more than one time to understand what the player does and what exploits he uses and possibly will not understand all even so.

not everybody appreciates that way of gaming, and this is fine, but to do it you need a very deep knowledge of the game, of the engine and the possible exploits and also creativity.
    @gorgonzola

Thanks, got a feeling I'm somebody who could watch that ten times and still not understand the "how".
    Especially the teleport through doors and the familiar things.

Just about kept up with the talk/don't let them finish.
    Really liked the shapeshift mindflayer part though.
    that is the easiest trick so i can explain to you, some of the other ones are much more technical and complicated and i would not be able to do it.

he surrounds the person that want to teleport with team mates or summons, after placing him in a strategical position. then he frees the familiar, but shapeshift in a larger form works as good.

there is not enough place for him and the familiar as all the nearby space is occupied by party members, summons or walls. the engine could do 3 things, move away some member/summon, place the familiar in the nearest free place or place the mage in the nearest free space. the 3rd is what the engine does. and nearest means nearest, the engine does not look if is behind a door, and does not look if to open that door you have to find an activation stone, give it to a certain golem and wait that the golem opens the door.
    so "pop" the mage is magically ( :) ) teleported behind a door he is not supposed to pass, saving some time and making the speed run faster.

hope that now you get it, and really is the simplest of the tricks. if you are interested i can try to explain you some of the others, even if i am sure that some of the forum users have much more competence then me in this kind of exploits of the engine.

Thanks for the explaination, yep I get it now.

It's so sneaky.

One day I'll play as a mage, tried a few times but I want to steal stuff far too much.
    It's a weakness. :D

mouse magic is cheese, and a mage can do a lot of cheese...
    play as a mage, you will have a lot of fun :)
  • BorekBorek Member Posts: 513
    lol, loved it, finished the whole thing before i usually make it out of Irenicus' dungeon, i blame my OCD :o
  • FiddlerFiddler Member Posts: 30
    He easily finished the game before I usually get out of the dungeon. lol. It's not for me, but I appreciate it. And like someone mentioned before, I need to try the mindflayer trick. That one can be used without cheating, so it'll find a place in my game.
    Time stop and mindflayer is a long time known tactic, that works on almost everything not protected by pfmw and mantle line spells. Beware that you loose the kill xp.