Skip to content

Possibility of Beamdog "rescuing" other D&D games? Pls?

ZhylawZhylaw Member Posts: 6
edited January 2018 in Off-Topic
Sorry if this is the wrong spot to post this but I didn't see a more applicable place.

With the Neverwinter Nights announcement it seems like Beamdog is making it their business to restore & enhance D&D games of yesteryear and I was wondering if there is a chance of bringing back a few others? Namely:

Temple Of Elemental Evil - No longer sold (except GOG) great but extremely buggy, huge community patch.
Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor - Incredibly broken launch, not sold anywhere, actually decent game
Dragonshard - no longer sold ( cept GOG) actually great RTS, enhanced multiplayer and polish would be lit.
Demonstone - add co-op (crazy the game didn't have it) and you got my buy. Otherwise prob don't bother.

Pipe Dreams:

Ravenloft 1/2 - GOG only, super old clunky, hex movement crap map, would need a new engine, crazy request. Menzoberranzan - Same as above, ton of work but great potential.
Dark Sun1/2 - GOG, same as above, only Dark Sun games ever released, still fun today.
Dark Sun Online- yes it existed, a edited single player version would be amazing.
Icewind Dale 2 - source code, who needs source code !!! :(

In particular I think Temple Of Elemental Evil and Myth Drannor are fantastic candidates for Beamdogs enhancement and restoration techniques and would also appeal to the fanbase of the games they have already brought back.

Comments

• MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421
    Yes to Temple of Elemental Evil, no to Pool of Radiance. It is rare that I buy a game at launch and dont finish it. It was just awful. The only good thing is that it came with a free 3.0 D&D players handbook.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    ToEE with the patches, definitely. I loved that game so much.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I feel like I'm beating a dead horse when I say this, but I'd love to see Ravenloft or Chult in a new or even remade game.
  • Sirhc_OranSirhc_Oran Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2018
    I would definitely be interested in a Dark Sun 1/2 remake with a modern engine, or even the infinity engine (or similar engine).
    Edit: I wonder if Beamdog could do a kickstarter to fund these kind of projects?
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    I would like a ToEE game both because I think it's a fundamentally great game that has gotten unfairly overlooked, but also because I just love the idea of it being called ToEE:EE.

I don't think it's likely to happen though. It was a commercial failure, iirc, and doesn't have the word of mouth pull that games like BG has either. Chances of Beamdog (or anybody else) wanting to take the risk of "enhancing" a relatively unknown game like it seems very small.
  • brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    They really should do a ravenloft remake!
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I think "Temple of Elemental Evil" with the "Circle of 8" fixes already installed out of the box would be the most interesting to me. I'd probably buy that, and finally try the game. (I've never played it.)
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    edited January 2018

I think "Temple of Elemental Evil" with the "Circle of 8" fixes already installed out of the box would be the most interesting to me. I'd probably buy that, and finally try the game. (I've never played it.)

But what could Beamdog add compared to ToEE + Co8 + Temple+? Of course, if they could work out a deal and get access to the source code one could do more, but would it be significantly more than the old game plus these two mods? That's the question. (To be clear: I've never played the game, with or without mods)

• DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577

I would definitely be interested in a Dark Sun 1/2 remake with a modern engine, or even the infinity engine (or similar engine).
    Edit: I wonder if Beamdog could do a kickstarter to fund these kind of projects?

I'd love to see a game in the Dark Sun setting, that was my favorite back in the day. Just such a gritty but unique fantasy setting. Sort of post-apocalyptic, but caused by magic and not atomic weapons. Although one of the quotes about the setting I can never forget is "Everyone wears female fantasy armor, yes, even the males." I only got to play the old games at a friends house as a kid. When I've tried to play them from GOG, I just give up fighting with the interface. Some of those early 90s interfaces are just a pain to use. It just gets tiresome opening a different screen to pick a spell or psionic ability, then go back and click on where you want to use it. I think I'd rather just see a new story than remakes of the old ones. They can do a lot more with reactivity and branching dialog these days, anyways. I'd totally buy a premium module set in Dark Sun.