Skip to content

New Campaign Idea's

I just wanna start discussions for idea's on a new Campaign.
It's my hope that down the road when Beamdog makes new Modules we get something really good.

Comments

• CerabelusCerabelus Member Posts: 385
    edited January 2018
    Has there been a setting in Luskan? We've passed through on NWN 1 and they where causing trouble again in NWN 2 but is the city interesting enough for a Campaign? I don't know enough about them besides the heavy crime aspect and the Arcane Brotherhood who have a pretty bad reputation.

We start in Waterdeep on HOTU but very quickly leave the City, is there good stories there?

Or should they make a Campaign somewhere new? Somewhere no PC game has been.
    Post edited by Cerabelus on
    MatthieuEldrick
  • raz651raz651 Member Posts: 175
    They should do a campaign in Chult and give us Jungle tiles and dinosaurs. :p
    Cerabelus
    Hmm I can see it now...player is traveling in heavy jungle and fails the spot check to notice Velociraptors creeping up.
    I always found Raptors scarier than T-rex.

What Culture is prominent in Chult?
    edited January 2018
    Did a search, Human tribes, Wild Dwarf tribes (these Dwarfs are strong with heat & disease resistance), Lizardfolk, small Flaming Fist Mercenary outpost, also Amn influence and arcane magic is distrusted and feared with Human tribes only having 1 user per family.
    They fear the threat of a strange creature called "Uluu Thalongh" and the threat from the "Peaks of Flame" a volcano home to fire type creatures.
    Post edited by Cerabelus on
  • NightmysteNightmyste Member Posts: 10
    maybe Thay, or go back to the time of Illusk or Netherim
    being transtported back in time through magic can be used as a (cheap) plot device, but the setting itself might just be worth it
    Cerabelus
    edited January 2018
    I don't know much about Thay, Human Arcane dominant, they tend towards slavery, lots of Magic & Politics (deadly politics), they tend towards Evil but there's no reason a House has to be Evil to be successful, oh and there next to Rasheman, If there's more I don't know it.

I know nothing of Illusk so I'll have to look it up.

Netheril has been talked about though the games, If i remember they where mostly Human and acquired Arcane knowledge from Illefarn and built flying cities over the desert, many Lich's came into being over that time as the knowledge and help getting there was common place, Divine casters welcome and at their end Karses the Arch Mage tried to uplift himself into the Weave replace Mystra as God of Magic which caused a massive disruption in magic and many creatures bound to the Weave where destroyed.

Even if the time travel element was limited and mostly used for information gathering or making very carefull changes would open up interesting events, if the player had to peer into the past at certain locations and use skills like Lore, Spot etc to identify as much info as possible to help you complete your next task, yeah I can see interesting elements if done carefully.
    Looked up Illusk, I should've realized Luskan was built on top of the ruins sorry, Human Dominant (Human's seem to have a talent for failed empires and cities), Illusk was Plagued by Orc invasions over and over again being re-founded, it didn't say that the Arcane Brotherhood was around but it did mention a "Cabal of Mages" helping to save the city but later becoming a problem, interactions with Netheril, Lord Halueth Never the founder of Neverwinter invaded but failed to destroy all resistance, Ruathen invaded believing the people would support them but the people sent them packing, taken by Orcs again and renamed Argrock but later driven out, then again Orcs attacked for 9 years than held the ruins for 57 years before a Mercenary army helped by Neverwinter cleared it and renamed to Luskan. It seems Orcs are a massive problem for the Sword Coast.
  • MatthieuMatthieu Member Posts: 386
    "We need to gather our ideas before venturing forth"

That was a good line. Ok, only new campaigns then. First as I said I'm a bit fed up with adventuring always in the same place. First of all why being limited to a single place? You could travel a lot actually.

- The Moonshae: I like this place, there's so much to tell about it and it's been largely unexploited.
    - Zakhara: this is the "Al-Qadim" line but it is the same world as the Forgotten Realms line. Here too there's so much to write and use.
    - Waterdeep: THE city of the Forgotten Realms line, we only break wind there in "Hordes of the Underdark" while a true gigantic urban story could be taking place. There's the giant city, the undermountain dungeon, skullport and the surrounding... it's all good.

So why not making a story starting of in the Moonshae, moving to Waterdeep and taking a boat to Zakhara?
    CerabelusEldrick
    edited January 2018
    When "Venturing Forth" was mention I couldn't help myself lol.

Yeah I've heard so much happens in Waterdeep but the games barely mention it.

According to what I'm reading Mount Waterdeep was home to "Melairkyn" Mithral mining Dwarf Clan but the halls where infested with creatures long before the city was built, Waterdeep was considered the most influential city but after the "Spellplague" Baldur's Gate grew bigger and more influential, there was a guild war ended with the reformed Lords Alliance and the city got back on track to prosper, apparently the merchants guild grew and the Lords Alliance are secretive but supported by these merchants and protected by City Guard (Soldiers) & City Watch (Police) who are apparently "superb" and as a result the city became well protected and over time more tolerant of other races, religions & lifestyles, oh and we all should've heard about "Undermountain" and that very stable minded Halaster Blackcloak (he's definitely not crazy...nope not one bit).

Zakhara has large desert but also lush oases, Genies frequently meddle in the society, secretive cities with stories of demon infested cities and "godless sorcerers" named "Sha'irs" who apparently wield strange magic, and the land is known for other "exotic" magics, the capital city called Huzuz also known as "the city of delights" (sounds nice), hmm secretive cities & strange magics...I'm intrigued.

Ok had to look up Moonshae, I'm intrigued already, multiple smaller islands and one of them called "Snowdown" was controlled by Vampires. fighting undead is always good but a whole Island...that's dangerous (sign me up), wars between Northmen vs Ffolk (not a typo), Northmen faith is mostly Tempus vs Ffolk's druid goddess "Earthmother", Bhaal had influence here through a minion named "Kazgaroth" who initiated invasions, Kaz challenged and defeated a child of the earthmother called "Leviathan", these wars have eased up since a "High King Kendrick" has been working hard to settle things down.
    edited January 2018
    Spellplague = 4th edition D&D

NWN is 3rd edition so it's previous spellplague.

Sha'Ir of Al-Qadim are a warlock kind of wizard which control genies instead of demons or whatsoever and Moonshae is the home of the first Forgotten Realms novels: starting with Darkwalker on Moonshae which tells the story of Kazgoroth. Never heard of a vampire island, must be another of those 4th edition things.
    Cerabelus
    Ah, that's why I've barely heard it mentioned, the locations so far are so much more interesting than Neverwinter or Baldur's Gate (though BG is far superior to NW), just on these few posts I've learned for sure that we definitely need to be in a new location.
  • raz651raz651 Member Posts: 175
    hmmm they could give us another baldur's gate adventure (ie. Baldur's Gate 3 using NWN EE). Just a thought. :)
    I'm sure many people would like it because... well fan service, but I don't think it's a really good idea.

The Forgotten Realms are huge and we need to stop focusing on always the same places. Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter and the Spine of the World have been explored enough for my taste.
    @Cerabelus

Maybe you can use your first post in this thread to centralize ideas. For now I would add Halruaa or Mulhorand as these are quite uncommonly used and yet...
    raz651 said:

hmmm they could give us another baldur's gate adventure (ie. Baldur's Gate 3 using NWN EE). Just a thought. :)

I know what you mean , this was talked about years ago but never got off the ground.

While reading about these new locations Chult, Illusk, Netherum, Moonshae, Waterdeep and Zakhara I've
    become intrigued about these places, we can always return to Baldur's Gate again, no harm in going back but looking at these locations has got me wanting something I've never seen before.
    edited January 2018
    About Halruaa, Mostly Human but smaller amount of other races too, heavily into magic that it's the ruling class in the culture because magic users get privileged over others, Sorcerer's are seen as dangerous & undisciplined and they tend to leave Halruaa, apparently they lean towards Good Alignment, most of the religion is Azuth, Mystra, Shar, had to confirm my info on Azuth and he is "Lord of Spells" lesser Deity of Neutral alignment and his relationship to Mystra is seen as akin to being her student, Mystra had problems after the Time of Troubles and lost a lot of worshipers to Azuth but still has many followers, Shar is prominent but being a Evil Deity i doubt people advertised their worship oh and she created the Shadow Weave which i won't go much into but is the "Alternate" but dangerous version of the Weave of magic, apparently Flying carpet & Skyships are common place (I'll take 1 of both please), according to what I'm reading when Netheril fell and the people fled creatures called "Phaerimm" they found groups of tribes called Lapel who themselves fled Yuan-ti and the Netheral and Lapel merged cultures and Lapel knew about the farming and survival and Netherese taught them magic and they became prosperous, oh and they apparently don't tolerate priests from other faiths and they get removed from cities by Magical means if needed and they where only allowed in the outer villages.

Mulhorand has 3 classes of citizens, Mages and Priests tend to be the nobility, merchants and landowners tend to be the middle and the majority are Slaves from Thay, they had problems with High Imaskari empire, Sahuagin (Shark Men) and Pirates are in some of the waters around and can be a problem, apparently their deserts have connections to the Underdark and is commonly known, Deity worship tends to be Gond, Mask, Mystra and Red Knight, Priests are self entitled and expect special treatment (you won't get any from me), the Alignment tends to be Lawful but obviously their Laws don't have a problems with mass slavery (I'd feel compelled to do something about the slavery problem), the culture feels they are better than others and that arrogance is well known, oh i just read that the old Imaskari empire before Mulhorand existed opened portals to another world and took 100,000 people called the Mulan and enslaved and blocked Mulan worship and calls for help from reaching their gods and Ao the God of Gods intervened and allowed mortal avatars of Mulan gods to breach the Imaskari Barrier and full on attack the old Imaskari and defeated them (I'd heard a little about the old Imaskari from NWN2 MOTB something about angering the gods, when the gods come down to personally smite your people you know you've done some seriously bad stuff) and the slaves and the Divine avatars founded Mulhorand (i guess Mulhorand thought "hey we where slaves so lets...like you know continue the cycle of slavery"), Elves and Dwarfs didn't like Mulhorand and most left, the majority are Human, Half-orc and Planetouched.

Matthieu
    I just looked up some info on the "Spellplague" and that is some seriously big changes to mortals and gods but that's 4th edition and any setting we get in NWN will have to be 3rd edition so we don't have to worry about that just yet in NWN, NWN2 is 3.5 edition so that's before Spellplague too.

I know some of the info I've posted is generalized and not all the info will be relevant to 3rd edition, some of it won't appear in a new setting unless a new game comes out in 4th edition setting or after that.

These places are very interesting in 3rd and 3.5 edition and worthy of a Campaign or shorter Modules.
    I feel it's important to mention while looking at certain location and looking back at old ones I've noticed that there are BIG differences in stories of Baldur's Gate series of games compared to the official accounts, i knew there where differences but i didn't realize just how big the differences where so these official back rounds of places may not be exactly reflected in a game setting but I'm still very intrigued about these places and would love to see them even if it's not exactly replicated.
  • RifkinRifkin Member Posts: 141
    Why do we have to be locked in Forgotten Realms? I mean, perhaps that is a licensing thing, but if we could maybe expand the horizon I would be far more excited about it.

Greyhawk, Ravenloft, Darksun, Dragonlance.... These are all settings I would love to see as premium modules in NWN:EE.

I believe there was also talk of redoing the Goldbox games in NWN:EE as premium mods. That would be grand.
    I've only experienced Forgotten Realms so i can't speak about the other realms but yeah i don't see why they can't make a Module in a new realm.

I'm guessing that the spells and abilities vary in each realm but i imagine they could work around that.
    I just remembered that I've played some of Menzoberranzan and i think Viconia & Drizzt are from there too (isn't Drizzt in Menzo?), if they where remade into a newer engine I'd check them out.
    Eldrick
    edited January 2018
    Rifkin said:

Why do we have to be locked in Forgotten Realms? I mean, perhaps that is a licensing thing,...

I think there is a licencing issue here. Witch Wake, Shadowguards and Kingmaker were never concluded because someone (Atari? WotC?) hit the table with a fist and said the licence was for the Forgotten Realms, end of story.

I love the Dark Sun setting, but its rule mechanism are really specific and don't fit NWN at all, not the slighest. The omnipresent psionics, special rules for weapons and armors, weirdo races... it would need a huge revamp of the whole NWN engine. I think with Spelljammer it's the hardest to adapt.

Planescape, Ravenloft, and many others would work fine (because yeah Planescape works better on any edition of D&D than Dark Sun or Spelljammer).
    Post edited by Matthieu on
    Well that's disappointing but from what I've found out just from the posts and looking up these locations we still have plenty to choose from and I'm eager to see new and strange locations.
    edited January 2018
    Cerabelus said:

I just looked up some info on the "Spellplague" and that is some seriously big changes to mortals and gods but that's 4th edition and any setting we get in NWN will have to be 3rd edition so we don't have to worry about that just yet in NWN, NWN2 is 3.5 edition so that's before Spellplague too.

Well to make things easier:

the Forgotten Realms were first edited for the 1st edition of AD&D, the famous grey box (of which I have a vintage edition) formed the basis. There were the Bloodstone Pass modules and the Darkwalker on Moonshae novels (a trilogy). The FR arrived very late, toward to end of the 1st edition of AD&D so there was little content for this ruleset.

Then TSR wanted to get out of a chicken sacrifice controversy with the 2nd edition. The transition is made by the "Times of Troubles" which are largely referenced in Baldur's Gate and the gang.
    - Way too evil gods you could actually served were removed (Baine, Bhaal and Myrkul, you know the later from Mask of the Betrayer).
    - Wild Magic (which was introduced in the Tome of Magic) became an essential part of the setting.
    - Assassins, cavaliers and some other classes were removed.
    - Gunpowder weapons were introduced and expanded, think of the way the Pillars of Eternity handles it to get an idea of the feeling.

In addition the setting was hugely expanded with:
    - Kara-Tur: which was built on the Oriental Adventures ruleset for the 1st edition but here for the 2nd. With real pieces of François Froideval at the writing (who made Black Moon Chronicles) along with Gygax.
    - Maztica: which didn't get as big as it was meant to
    - Al-Qadim: sold as a distinct line of product (without the Forgotten Realms logo) but is set on the same world.

The 3rd edition was not followed by some cataclysm. Some Gods like Baine returned and that's it.

The 4th edition introduced the Spellplague, but no one wants to talk about it. I mean really, no one does.

The 5th edition introduced the Sundering which reversed changes done by the Spellplague and even some changes from the 2nd edition to the context.
    Cerabelus
    edited January 2018
    Now for people looking for inspirations the 5th edition campaigns are actually pretty good. I haven't tried "Out of the Abyss" but "Storm King's Thunder" or "Tomb of Annihilation" work fine.

Curse of Strahd is really really good but it's Ravenloft's not the Forgotten Realms.
    Yeah i read that Ao reversed many things, i have to say the Spellplague seemed annoying.

I remember Baine, Bhaal & Myrkul from the BG in game book "The Dead Three", interesting story.

Guns? are they flintlocks? i can see a Fighter with a Greatsword but the enemy is across the room so you quick draw your preloaded flintlock for the gut shot and run in for the kill.
    Arquebusess, blunderbusses, things like that. Couldn't be preloaded because you are "old school" firearms, had a crazy initiative and couldn't be used more than once a round. Not to mention they could blow in your face.

During an AD&D2 campaign I played a wild mage from Calimshan armed with a blunderbuss. Firearms make wizards a bit more playable at low level, if you are willing to take the blow thing chance.
    I'd enchant my Blunderbuss to fire Elemental rounds, give it that extra kick.
    Not the right time to make a hiatus (i.e. wild surge)
    Decided to look up Calimshan to get more info (heard it mentioned several times in the games).

Trading rivals with Waterdeep, say's they have older ties to Genies but they've long driven out, high society looks down on adventurers, apparently Women don't have equal rights, Bandit faction called "Black Raiders" are a big problem, a large trade route goes through the desert and is a big target for Black Raiders, The Shining Sea connects them to Chult and other places, apparently the Calim Desert was created inadvertently due to Efreeti (fire Genie types) waging war for 400 years, there's been Beholder problems for a long ago, a dragon named "Ylveraasahlisar" had influence over their culture for over 100 years, a name i recognize "Twisted Rune" manipulates Calimshan from behind the scenes, another name i recognize "Artemis Entreri" lived here.

there's more but it would take too long to go into, many stories here it seems.