Skip to content

Should NWN EE servers be able to monetize?

EtherealVanityEtherealVanity Member Posts: 12
edited January 2018 in General Discussions NWN:EE
As the title reads.

Should any NWN EE server be able to monetize?
Be it with monthly or single-time payments.

E.g.
- Players pay for special privileges on the server.
- Players pay for in-game rewards.

Comments

• BalanorBalanor Member Posts: 176
    edited January 2018
    They can already do that via donations. Heck, if they want to emulate the great Evil Empire that is EA (i.e. - Battlefront II) and give people in-game rewards for donating a certain amount, there is nothing stopping them from doing so.
  • MadHatterMadHatter Member Posts: 145

• EtherealVanityEtherealVanity Member Posts: 12
    So what should be done about servers such as:
    https://www.patreon.com/KnightsOfNoromath

You might find this hard to believe, but there are at least 2 such donors on that server.
    Several more of the lower tiers. Should something like this be brought to BeamDogs attention?

• FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847

You might find this hard to believe, but there are at least 2 such donors on that server.
    Several more of the lower tiers. Should something like this be brought to BeamDogs attention?

I know what server I'm staying away from, their player count be damned. That's disgusting and totally against the spirit of NWN.
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    At the moment no NWN EE server has a player count worth mentioning so I don't see it as a big issue.
  • MecheonMecheon Member Posts: 12

Huh. 90% sure that's against some terms of service, though there's a valid point that there wouldn't have been anyone around for NWN to actually enforce it
  • IndyWendieGoIndyWendieGo Member Posts: 62
    edited January 2018

And that's exactly why I've avoided that server and just haven't taken them seriously. It's absolutely laughable that some also claim that it was the 'first NwN:EE server', when the game isn't exactly out of beta just yet. It's cute, but nah. Heeeeeck nah. If I wanted an optional subscription, I'd just play WoW. Or ESO. Not Knights of Noromath.

Edit; I'd also like to point out about the 'first server of NwN:EE' thing- I forget where or who had said it, nor does it really matter. What does matter is the principle of the topic, which is that subscription models aren't a good thing to try- not just going by the ToS, but going by the whole principle of a beta. If something breaks, that's a mountain of work to fix. Most servers who've actually been around are slowly taking baby steps to get their servers in shape after each patch of the beta. If something flubs up with a subscription model? That's... Just...

TL;DR: Fire bad, tree pretty.
    Post edited by IndyWendieGo on
  • voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248
    edited January 2018
    Flashburn said:

I know what server I'm staying away from, their player count be damned. That's disgusting and totally against the spirit of NWN.
    I know right? The Developer Newsletter should totally be part of the Soldier of Noromath tier. They have their Patreon all backwards.

At the moment no NWN EE server has a player count worth mentioning so I don't see it as a big issue.

The big issue is that this sets a precedence, a model and gives the community at large a bad name. Is this really how we want to revive NWN?
    Mecheon said:

Huh. 90% sure that's against some terms of service, though there's a valid point that there wouldn't have been anyone around for NWN to actually enforce it
    Wouldn't BeamDog be able to enforce something like that now?
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    I don't think it sets a precedence. If folks think they need to raise over $100 a month for maybe a 5 person at average server then I think they're being a bit wasteful. I don't think I'll lose any sleep over it.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308

Should something like this be brought to BeamDogs attention?

no. it's completely unimportant

• scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    I am pretty sure that monetising of servers or modules would be illegal for anyone using like 99% of the content of NwNVault, mods which seems to be released under some form of "you can use this if your project is open and free" license.

Personally I feel that taking donations to help with administrative costs/server fees or whatever you need to pay on the infrastructure side of the server is a completely different thing from paying for access, though.
    to your whole post I say: so what?
    or rather: and what?
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    My post? Whose post?
    your post. basically you're complaining about the behavior of some people somewhere that has no bearing on anything relevant to the company, to the community and to the game. yeah, they may be doing something ethically bad (btw, breach of contract = liability, not illegality) but it's just a philosophical statement.
  • raz651raz651 Member Posts: 175
    If you look at their patreon. People are not paying for access. If you read their goals. It is to pay for the server cost and upkeep. They are giving out extras to those that help defer this cost. They use the words donations and anyone can play the game.

Did you help out in the 2.5 beta? You get a forum title. Do we get benefits for purchasing the game now? (playing in the headstart program) PBS has the same sort of donation structure. They give you different gifts based upon your donation. This is all I see that this patreon is doing offering a few things that donate at differ levels. They have just chosen Patreon as a vehical of getting the donations.

This is not a pay to play (monetization thing)
  • InflatableFriendInflatableFriend Member Posts: 57
    It's nice to see Paetron in use for something other than furry pr0n.

That aside I don't think what they seem to be doing, covering the costs of server upkeep, as a big deal. Many servers solicit donations and offer forum badges or other content for those who donate.

I don't like the pay to win / pay for classes/content aspect of the higher tiers and think something like the newsletter should go out to anyone whose contributing but that's personal, I suspect there's plenty whole pay.

I think there's a huge gap between covering your running costs and setting out to make a profit off the back of the server.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    @raz651
    Neither the Writ of Knighthood nor the bonus stipend per month sound like they're purely cosmetic like a forum badge. I actually wouldn't have a problem with the server if those things weren't offered to donators.
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,281
    Many people have given their time to make NWN custom content for free. While the license terms are generally less formal than I would wish, many of us would be greviously vexed if anyone started charging for our work.

We are a friendly, sharing community, but that spirit could easily turn sour if there was money at stake. The ownership issues are very complicated, because many custom assets are not made from scratch by one person, and may have been tweaked by several .

No problem with donations, though, for the win-win.
  • MadHatterMadHatter Member Posts: 145
    This is hearsay from a review on their FB page by a disgruntled former player (so take it with a colossal sized grain of salt) but apparently the "Executive Creative Director" mitigated the cost of an AC unit with donated funds.

Also: a pretty hilarious title for a NWN server dev and the type of tom-douchery I would expect from someone with a Patreon that hands out in game benefits for cash but that's neither here nor there.
  • AtremiousAtremious Member Posts: 42
    As almost everything is built upon the efforts and backs of other people, unless you designed the Aurora Engine, all of the textures you use, all of the haks and custom content you use, built all of it yourself, designed everything, were using an entirely home brew setting and had either the license to use the system you're using (D&D 3.0 in this case) or totally made it different to the point where it was no longer recognizable?

I don't think it's a legitimately good idea to be charging people for bonuses, be they tangible in game rewards, etc. Donations to help the cause are fine. But as soon as you start setting up a 'storefront' as I've seen now multiple people push for (And yes, one -can- argue that getting various bonuses in game for paying money per month is a -purchase- of benefits beyond just helping the server out) I think this is the sort of thing the community should stay away from.

I understand that people put a lot of time, effort, and work into these things? But at the same time it's a labour of love. And I genuinely dislike the idea of peoples work being leveraged by others, just to make a quick buck by somebody who honestly may not actually own all the rights to the things they are claiming they made. It's a sticky situation. And hopefully, nobody informs say, WotC of these people who are potentially profiting off of their license or off of their IP, without the rights to do so. It could be a messy legal situation, and we all know how well WotC like's to beat back the vultures with a lawyer shaped stick.
  • StaranStaran Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 295
    Ooooo. A newsletter!
    Like, in the mail? With a stamp?
    Or is it just an email?
    Other than bills, nobody has mailed me a newsletter in 20 years. So maybe it is worth it just for that.
    Maybe I can get an actual letter!
    Think of the possibilities. I go to the mailbox and, instead of a flier, I get a letter in an envelope!!

On second thought...no
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    Well, they have 6 patrons and are at 64% of their goals for having $100 per month. So on average their patrons spend $10.66 per month. So I'm guessing that means a couple of users get stipends.

Overall, that's not a huge deal.

At the same time, I agree with the majority here that elements of pay-to-win don't seem to fit the NWN community well. I certainly don't plan on participating in such a setup.
  • MrDamageMrDamage Member Posts: 210
    I wonder how much it would cost to have all the current characters killed.

Mwaahahaaahaaaa
  • AndarianAndarian Member Posts: 185
    scriver said:

I am pretty sure that monetising of servers or modules would be illegal for anyone using like 99% of the content of NwNVault, mods which seems to be released under some form of "you can use this if your project is open and free" license.

"Most projects migrated to the new Vault by the Migrate Wizard were incorrectly listed with the license term "Free & Open Only if the Project is Open." The actual terms that apply to any item still owned by the Migrate Wizard are those specified in the "reasonable and customary" clause above."

https://neverwintervault.org/content/custom-content-authorship-guidelines