Skip to content

Open face helmet sample

Comments

• TinkerTinker Member Posts: 11
    Love it, looks amazing.
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,269
    edited December 2017
    Nice.

I found it helpful to download the video, as it wouldn't play in Chrome on PC or tablet.

Am I right in thinking that the bandana is an item which is equipped in the helmet slot (not a VFX as it was in the CCC)? If so, it's a true open-faced helmet, a big win for EE.
  • ShadowMShadowM Member Posts: 573
    edited December 2017
    The answer is both. They are helmets, but helmets replace the whole head still and they have not put in a option to not have the helmet cause the head to disappear yet. With the new hide equipment function though I can hide the helmet which keeps the head and then add the vfx overlay. The bandana is helmet and still there and all it itemproperties work and all it equip function works. So for pc it is a fully functioning open face helmet. The downside is that the on-equip does not fire for NPC so this will not work for your npc dwarf or others right now. If they let it fire on parts based npc then that would be great. With this overlay system you could make a head without hair and do hair vfx that you could script to hide with vfx helmets (fix cliping issues). You can do all sorts of other overlays of boots/hands with hooks/ gloves etc...

Weird about the video, maybe next time I just download the file to the comment.
    Sylvus_Moonbow
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    That's neat! Back in the day I remember a hood but it made everyone's face grey or blocked out when you wore it. A hood that actually is a hood and still shows the front of the face would be very popular.
  • AncarionAncarion Member Posts: 155
    A new hair/helmet node would really be the ideal solution, though it would take a tremendous amount of work to minimize all the inevitable clipping that would result. Instead of hiding the whole head, an equipped helm would only hide whatever is in the hair node. Even if Beamdog didn't want to rework all the base models to accommodate it (which is understandable), just having the new node available and accessible by scripting would open up substantial possibilities for custom content creators.
    Ancarion said:

A new hair/helmet node would really be the ideal solution, though it would take a tremendous amount of work to minimize all the inevitable clipping that would result. Instead of hiding the whole head, an equipped helm would only hide whatever is in the hair node. Even if Beamdog didn't want to rework all the base models to accommodate it (which is understandable), just having the new node available and accessible by scripting would open up substantial possibilities for custom content creators.

You do not need a separate hair node (even though the engine dose support custom nodes). You just put your hair vfx in another section of the visual.2da and tie that number to the pc(with current system limited hair color and choice at first) Ideally if they really wanted to fix the hair issue is just do a engine search when the helmet is equipped and turn the hair texture part into invisible this would allow for plt(multiple colored hair still) With an update to the script function of SetHiddenWhenEquipped(object oItem, int nValue, int iHideHair) option that way we can control the hair with vfx helmets on a case by case basis. The only problem I see is you might lose some eyebrows LOL.
  • dafenadafena Member Posts: 74
    I just want hair with transparency support and tinteable color u_u
    ShadowMZwerkules
  • Sunssarathi2029Sunssarathi2029 Member Posts: 32
    I would be willing to separate and rework hair myself if they would made them separate. It would boost character/NPC looks greatly. And trasparency on hair would be glorious. Clothes, Hair and skin certaily needs trasparency.
    Zwerkules
  • RifkinRifkin Member Posts: 141
    edited January 2018
    ShadowM said:

The downside is that the on-equip does not fire for NPC so this will not work for your npc dwarf or others right now. If they let it fire on parts based npc then that would be great. With this overlay system you could make a head without hair and do hair vfx that you could script to hide with vfx helmets (fix cliping issues). You can do all sorts of other overlays of boots/hands with hooks/ gloves etc...

For the time being, we could just use the NPC onspawn script to check their equipped items, and if it's an 'open face' helmet, apply the proper vfx. This could be achieved by setting the VFX as a local string for the item.

This doesn't help NPC's that change equipment after spawn though.

I would be willing to separate and rework hair myself if they would made them separate. It would boost character/NPC looks greatly. And trasparency on hair would be glorious. Clothes, Hair and skin certaily needs trasparency.

I could do a whole skimesh/part PC (OldtimeRadio did some testing back in the day and found it can be done). I could also do the hair separation if I wanted too. With BD actually confirming they are going to be working on PC model, I would not want to start any work in these areas until I have ending result on how they want to remake the models(engine changes, nodes added etc..) as to not make redundant work or incompatible. There is more discussion on the Trello board where I did suggest a hair separation.
    LINK
  • AtrophiedericAtrophiederic Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 147
    edited January 2018
    Friend @ShadowM,

That bandana looks seriously cool! Always nice to see folks making the content, especially when it is awesome content!

@TheAmethystDragon built open-face hoods and helms in Aenea - he did it utilizing a bald-head model for each race and class, then aligning various VFX goodies to them, as seen here. So not true helmets, but the illusions of helmets, hoods, veils, what have you ...
    Post edited by Atrophiederic on
    ricoyunggrom56ShadowM