Skip to content

Is "ballancing"/nerfing PnP spells/Prestige classes good?? Nwn:EE should be more PnP?

SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
edited January 2018 in General Discussions NWN:EE
Don't get me wrong. Nwn is the best rpg of my life but as anything have problems. The major problem that i have with nwn is that they tried to ballance some thing and ended with a more unbalanced game. Any example? An mage focused in Conjuration in PnP can deal with magic immunity and high magic resistance simple by casting Incendiary Cloud or any other spell that won't allow SR in PnP, in game by no reason this spell allow SR and since his opposed school will be transmutation, he can't the best spells in game like(and the best to deal with high SR enemies) Time Stop, Tenser's transformation, Flesh to Stone(bypass death magic resistance), stoneskin and due the fact that he can only have one summon, a conjurer can't rely on summons.

This makes impossible for a sorc/wiz to fight a high SR monk. Except if the monk make melee attacks in you while he is using Mestil's acid sheath. In nwn servers, one of the most powerful builds is a high SR monk focused on disarming. I have played a lot with Wizard in PnP. One of my character was focused on undead and other was focused on constructs. But both are simple nonviable to nwn Also, some spells like Teleport should be added too. Will be amazing to create an high level pale master trying to mimic "Ainz Ooal Gown"(i will search a lichdom mod too)

Some prestige classes become useless too. An example? Pale master. Since you can have only one undead and won't get more CL(caster level), an entire build become useless. No way that a Wizard 10/Pale Master 10 will be able to beat a Wizard 20. I have almost 200 hours of nwn1 on gog and never had seen any "pale master" in any server.

Comments

• ShadooowShadooow Member Posts: 402
    edited January 2018
    There is the 3.0 vs 3.5 argument.

I understand your point. I agree completely. But as a modder and founder of community patch I know where is this going to lead. I tried to discuss about it and tried to implement it in my community patch. At the end I had to make it completely optional and it still caused great deal of peoples to hate the project entirely just because I made possible something they believe is wrong.

Anyway so the thing here is that NWN was based on DnD 3.0. When NWN was developed there weren't 3.5 rules yet. In 3.0 AOE spells can be negated by spell resistance. In 3.5 they aren't. You can argue it is not logical. You can argue that 3.5 is a patch for 3.0 which is unbalanced as hell. There still be big faction of "NWN must be 3.0 based" believers who will oppose these ideas.

And then there is another group of "my server is balanced around PM not giving caster level so if you give PM caster level you screw balance on my server"...
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    edited January 2018
    Shadooow said:

There is the 3.0 vs 3.5 argument.

I understand your point. I agree completely. But as a modder and founder of community patch I know where is this going to lead. I tried to discuss about it and tried to implement it in my community patch. At the end I had to make it completely optional and it still caused great deal of peoples to hate the project entirely just because I made possible something they believe is wrong.(1)

Anyway so the thing here is that NWN was based on DnD 3.0. When NWN was developed there weren't 3.5 rules yet. In 3.0 AOE spells can be negated by spell resistance. In 3.5 they aren't. You can argue it is not logical. You can argue that 3.5 is a patch for 3.0 which is unbalanced as hell. There still be big faction of "NWN must be 3.0 based" believers who will oppose these ideas. (2)

And then there is another group of "my server is balanced around PM not giving caster level so if you give PM caster level you screw balance on my server"...

1 - Thanks for the good work. I will probably install this mod. I don't understand how they can hate something that they can simple don't play if they don't like. I rather play 3.5e.

2 - That explains a lot. Good points about SR, but summoning still too limited in the game. I know that there are the "unlimited summoning" module, but by default, you should be able to use more than one summon.

3 - I disagree. If your server runs under 3.0, your server is unbalanced. Also, i can't imagine how at the current state, a wiz 10/PM 10 will manages to kill a WIZ 20. In core DnD, the PM if he had time to prepare an army had the upper hand, but if the Wiz prepare spells to fight undead, he had the advantage.
  • MrDamageMrDamage Member Posts: 210
    My 2 cents
    With so many possibilities/classes builds and items available, I’d argue that ‘balancing’ Is an illusion. It’s more about what builds you’d prefer to stack up against others in your play style which is totally ok. In my humble experience, nerfing rules for PW’s is about making play less chaotic. Example, that fighter can’t just run up and dev crit you through your DR after you’ve built that pc up over 6 months and vice Vera’s with IGMS and bigbys or whatever. So In a nutshell I’d prefer to stay true to the rules even though that makes it a scary unbalanced world. Like palemaster is weak in one area, but then arnt they immune to crits? Can’t be dev crited. So give and take. PW’s it seems to me nerf the rules for less chaos/griefing and to also ow things down as the vanilla rules can make for fast progression and a scary world. Anyhow that’s my humble misinformed take on it all which I feel quite strongly about but I can understand totally the nerfing argument too.
    MrDamage said:

My 2 cents
    With so many possibilities/classes builds and items available, I’d argue that ‘balancing’ Is an illusion. It’s more about what builds you’d prefer to stack up against others in your play style which is totally ok. In my humble experience, nerfing rules for PW’s is about making play less chaotic. Example, that fighter can’t just run up and dev crit you through your DR after you’ve built that pc up over 6 months and vice Vera’s with IGMS and bigbys or whatever. So In a nutshell I’d prefer to stay true to the rules even though that makes it a scary unbalanced world. Like palemaster is weak in one area, but then arnt they immune to crits? Can’t be dev crited. So give and take. PW’s it seems to me nerf the rules for less chaos/griefing and to also ow things down as the vanilla rules can make for fast progression and a scary world. Anyhow that’s my humble misinformed take on it all which I feel quite strongly about but I can understand totally the nerfing argument too.

No caster in this world will trade 10 caster level for critical immunity. You will only get hit by critical hits in 5/10% of time. How many times you have meet with a pale master in sny nwn server? I never. "lets ballance minions" resulted in necro cleric useless. Conjurer Wizard useless. Pale Master Useless(...)
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    Balance nerfing is rarely good or at least it rarely improves a game. 4th edition is considered the most balanced version of the game, you can tell they really went to town on excel spreadsheets, and it bombed in a big way. Balance generally refers to economic-ish principles such as the balance of investment vs payoff, place all abilities in an excel file and it should let you manage them to all have the same ratio. There are other forms too such as rock-paper-scissors where there's a circular pattern of what beats what. It also involves things like game theory and the prisoner dilemma, markov chains too but at that point it's unrecognizable from what ppl mean when they say balance. There is also a different notion of encounter balance which cares more about players expending X amount of resources in a Y level encounter. Some consider that perception of balance is just as good as balance, i.e. if the gun sound is louder the player thinks it's better and says thanks for fixing gun balance.

What they mean is usually "fix the game" but without much basis for their demands, or a wish to nerf something based on their perception of relative power. It's also interesting to note that many players obsess over fairness or their perception of fairness but balance is not equivalent to fair nor does it guarantee a fair game. It also has no relationship with reality or simulation, the world is not a balanced place, so a balanced game will tend to be unrealistic. As for fun, balance is not necessary for fun and in some cases it is more fun without tuning mechanics. In terms of engaging play chess is considered one of the most intellectual games and it is not balanced largely due to turn order. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-move_advantage_in_chess

Let's move to the question of what makes D&D 3.0/3.5 broken in the eyes of others instead. Is it the big damage that spell casters can wreck? Actually this is usually not even a consideration. Most theory crafters (the folks that argue about this all day) agree that playing a blaster is playing a sub-par spell caster, the true strength lies in rule manipulation of ambiguously worded spells and in positional advantages. A spell caster can eventually wield offensive magic thousands of feet away from their target up in the air. They can create and then repeatedly drop giant blocks of metal from maximum falling distance on top of a target. How about warping the fabric of the planes around them to induce qualities such as vacuum (can't breath), pressure and other effects. When they say spell casters are game breaking they literally mean that they think they can do things that the game did not intend, hence break by exploiting ambiguity in spell descriptions, not by having high damage rolls.

NWN has some spells that are not present in official material and which follow a different design template to official spells. The best known example is IGMS which is so powerful that official spells of the blasting variety just can't compete even if they weren't friendly fire or didn't have saves. A cheap way to invalidate mind spells is to cast protection from evil/good which incorrectly gives mind spell immunity instead of just charms and compulsions. There are more that are either changed or original to NWN such as spell mantle, spell breach, true strike, shadow shield, premonition, bigby's forceful hand, greater restoration, storm of vengeance, ice storm, time stop, implosion, off the top of my head. D&D 3.5 also changed how some things work such as haste, heal, harm, blade barrier, keen, and some others. Several bonuses are also same typed so should not stack such as same typed attack bonuses and same typed save bonuses.

It has a lot more to do with keeping consistency of a game system than a question of balance, as some NWN spells were designed or altered for a video game and some are word for word from a table top game. They're inconsistent which means not only does it affect how the game is played but also what spell choices are made. Many mods and servers have their own alterations of various spells, for example adding a save to IGMS or reducing the size of the damage dice.

I don't consider spell casters as game breakers in NWN at all because it requires a DM to actively participate on your behalf to allow you to do things that were not scripted. How powerful a wizard is vs how powerful a fighter is largely depends on three things: spell script edits, available magic items, monster defenses.

tl;dr changing NWN to fit closer to pnp is not a nerf or balance change, it's a realignment of the design to make the system more consistent
  • cherryzerocherryzero Member Posts: 129
    One thing I’d like to pick up on in FreshLemonBurn’s post is the idea of X encounter taking Y resources. I genuinely think D&D is built around this, more than anything else.

In a PNP game you have a group trying to work it’s way through appropriate level modules. And the rules are designed around that.

I wouldn’t say this and character vs character balance are mutually exclusive but they probably complicate each other in terms of making interesting encounters.
  • voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248
    edited January 2018
    Poongko vs Daigo EVO 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6sFms_oPQU

Poongko was a newcomer to the US Tournament scene and is playing the single worst ranked character in the game. The characters stats and ranking were so bad he literally had his own garbage tier called "Seth tier."

Daigo is one of the greatest players in the history of competitive gaming. He played the same character for decades (Ryu) but Yun was so overwhelmingly overpowered that it would have been utterly foolish for Daigo to play anything else.

Poongko was playing a character and style he loved.
    Daigo was playing because of math.

Daigo should have absolutely wiped the floor with Poongko but regardless of what the numbers say on paper... Poongkko advanced the meta.

Same thing for Neverwinter Nights.

Clerics and Wizards are extremely powerful. They are in the top tier. But every character you roll doesn't have to be the most powerful thing in the game in order for them to be effective or fun to play.

Imbalanced is not the same as broken. Imbalanced simply means a more dynamic asymmetric meta.

IE: It's not a bug. It's a perfectly valid design choice.

edited January 2018

(...)

Daigo is one of the greatest players in the history of competitive gaming. He played the same character for decades (Ryu) but Yun was so overwhelmingly overpowered that it would have been utterly foolish for Daigo to play anything else.

Poongko was playing a character and style he loved.
    Daigo was playing because of math.

Daigo should have absolutely wiped the floor with Poongko but regardless of what the numbers say on paper... Poongkko advanced the meta.

Same thing for Neverwinter Nights.

Clerics and Wizards are extremely powerful. They are in the top tier. But every character you roll doesn't have to be the most powerful thing in the game in order for them to be effective or fun to play.

Imbalanced is not the same as broken. Imbalanced simply means a more dynamic asymmetric meta.

IE: It's not a bug. It's a perfectly valid design choice.

This is an fighting game in real time. In DnD is possible for someone get only "20" and another one get only "1" in dice rolls, but this doesn't means that numbers aren't important. In hotu expansion, you will fight against a lot of creatures with high SR and some times immunity to low tier magic. This means that if you are a wizard specialized in conjuration, you can't use Tenser's transformation and Time Stop. This isn't a fighting game. Doesn't matter how good you are in gaming. If your CL(caster level) is 20 and someone has 80 SR(spell resistance), you will not affect this people with an spell that allows SR, you can be the best gamer in world and the enemy can be AFKing.

I never said that wiz/sorc aren't powerful, only that conjuration spells are almost useless in this game and that a monk focused in disarming with high spell resistance is almost invincible since he can counter anyone. Necromancers are pretty popular in PnP and IMHO shoudl be viable in a DnD based game too.
    edited January 2018

This is an fighting game in real time. In DnD is possible for someone get only "20" and another one get only "1" in dice rolls, but this doesn't means that numbers aren't important. In hotu expansion, you will fight against a lot of creatures with high SR and some times immunity to low tier magic. This means that if you are a wizard specialized in conjuration, you can't use Tenser's transformation and Time Stop. This isn't a fighting game. Doesn't matter how good you are in gaming. If your CL(caster level) is 20 and someone has 80 SR(spell resistance), you will not affect this people with an spell that allows SR, you can be the best gamer in world and the enemy can be AFKing.

So you are saying Neverwinter Nights has not been designed around being a Player vs Player fighting game?

Well then... wouldn't addressing Player vs Environment be a case of balancing encounters and not classes?

A good RPG doesn't fixate on balancing the cost and effect of all mechanics because it isn't interesting, isn't enjoyable, isn't realistic or immersive, and doing so limits character options. An MMO might do this with concepts like the holy trinity which requires three playstyles to be represented in order to advance, as well as pre-planned standard progressions for all characters.

Spells work the way they do largely because they're designed for simulation over balance. You don't get a reflex save when you intentionally walk into a cloud of acid, you don't get spell resistance when you're hit by something created as a result of magic but which isn't itself magic.

Keeping with the theme of fighting games this is a good video that summarizes some common discussion topics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsC8io4w1sY
    edited January 2018

So you are saying Neverwinter Nights has not been designed around being a Player vs Player fighting game?

Well then... wouldn't addressing Player vs Environment be a case of balancing encounters and not classes?

Is nothing like an 2D fighting game. In a Fighting game, AC, SR, dice rolls, etc doesn't exist. In DnD doesn't matter your gaming skills. If he he had 50 SR(spell resistance) and you are at lv 10, you will not do any damage with any spell that allow SR, if he have 50 DR/Epic and you have only a +1 weapon, you will not do any damage(except if you can do more than 50 damage per hit). You can't use fire against a creature immune to fire(since there are a lot of players and monster immune/resistant to fire, arcane archer become less attractive since in pnp he can imbue other elements but not in game). The same doesn't apply in an fighting game or in a FPS game.

Also, you aren't arguing that nerf is good. Only that in a fighting game, if you are much better than another player, you can defeat him with a worst character. Pale Master still useless. Conjurer Wizard, very weak compared to any specialized wizard. ...

A good RPG doesn't fixate on balancing the cost and effect of all mechanics because it isn't interesting, isn't enjoyable, isn't realistic or immersive, and doing so limits character options. An MMO might do this with concepts like the holy trinity which requires three playstyles to be represented in order to advance, as well as pre-planned standard progressions for all characters.

Spells work the way they do largely because they're designed for simulation over balance. You don't get a reflex save when you intentionally walk into a cloud of acid, you don't get spell resistance when you're hit by something created as a result of magic but which isn't itself magic.

Well said
    Post edited by SorcererV1ct0r on

Is nothing like an 2D fighting game. In a Fighting game, AC, SR, dice rolls, etc doesn't exist. In DnD doesn't matter your gaming skills. If he he had 50 SR(spell resistance) and you are at lv 10, you will not do any damage with any spell that allow SR, if he have 50 DR/Epic and you have only a +1 weapon, you will not do any damage(except if you can do more than 50 damage per hit). You can't use fire against a creature immune to fire(since there are a lot of players and monster immune/resistant to fire, arcane archer become less attractive since in pnp he can imbue other elements but not in game). The same doesn't apply in an fighting game or in a FPS game.

I think you and I are suffering from poor communication.

:)

I am not arguing for nerfs. I am saying things being imbalanced is not a bad thing. If everything is perfectly balanced then a game becomes homogeneous. Magic The Gathering, Fighting Games, MMO's, RPG's etc create "Balance" via interesting asynchronous imbalance. As long as something is interesting, fun and still viable to a degree someone can have fun with it and it alters the meta.

I brought up fighting games to make the point that NWN is NOT a fighting game and thus the same need for all classes to be more closely balanced does not exist. D&D is balanced around killing monsters with a group of friends. Not in wholesale slaughtering other players. As such, encounter and item design has a far greater effect on player experience than if the class they chose is super OP or not.

Fighting Games and RTS games are the most sensitive to buffs and nerfs. They are extremely complex games where decisions are made in real time where thousands of behind the scenes calculations dynamically bounce off one another causing an endless series of ripple effects throughout the round. However, the game theory behind balancing a fighting game or an RTS is the same game theory that goes into crafting a good RPG.

Asynchronous balance creates interesting gameplay. Whilst perfect balance is kinda boring. However, broken is still broken and gentle balance corrections are often required. However, The goal is not to make everything in a game perfectly balanced but rather to make it fun and add to the game in a meaningful way.

D&D is not a PvP focused game the act of balancing encounters falls on the DM/Builder. If you are fighting a monster with 50DR with a +1 sword that is either an extremely badly designed encounter or the player has made a series of poor choices leading to them doing something they are severely under leveled and under equipped for. Classes should not be balanced against human stupidity.

And if you are fighting players who massively outstrip you then this is something that either needs to be addressed by itemization or you need to adapt the meta.

NWN is not perfectly balanced.
    NWN Does not need to be perfectly balanced.
    Perfect balance is boring.

Also, you aren't arguing that nerf is good. Only that in a fighting game, if you are much better than another player, you can defeat him with a worst character. Pale Master still useless. Conjurer Wizard, very weak compared to any specialized wizard. ...

Can you play the official campaigns with them?

If yes, then they work. They may be on the bottom of the tier list but they are still viable.

If your complaint is about how they play on your persistent world of choice then that is a matter of balance to be addressed by the creators of said world either through itemization, the creation of enemies/areas that play to those classes strengths or making the choice to active buff those classes.
    edited January 2018

I brought up fighting games to make the point that NWN is NOT a fighting game and thus the same need for all classes to be more closely balanced does not exist. D&D is balanced around killing monsters with a group of friends. Not in wholesale slaughtering other players. As such, encounter and item design has a far greater effect on player experience than if the class they chose is super OP or not.

Well, that classes/spells are balanced in D&D without a artificial summoning limit. Why add this in nwn1? Why not let spells be like they are in D&D(balanced according to you)?

NWN is not perfectly balanced.
    NWN Does not need to be perfectly balanced.
    Perfect balance is boring.

I agree that perfectly balance will remove the game freedom. I an only saying that "necromancer" is a very popular way of playing DnD and by nerfs(limit summons, nerf some spells, etc) become too weak to be viable mainly in higher difficulty settings.

Can you play the official campaigns with them?

If yes, then they work. They may be on the bottom of the tier list but they are still viable.

Try pass the chapter 1 of hotu expansion with a specialized conjurer wizard at higher difficulty. Some enemies will be immune to spells lower than lv 9 and you will be unable to use Transmutation, so : no Time Stop, Tenser's transformation, Greater stoneskin... Also, a Wizard 10/Pale Master 10 has a caster level of 10 and the strongest minion that a epic pale master can summon(at level 30)(Lesser Demilich) can dye by a single sunburst(25d6) and since you can only have one summon by no reason, why you will use a pale master? This class become useless. Also, PM can only use this feat one time / day. A lv 30 caster can use an epic spells like Hellball and instakill a PM and his minion. And note that hellball are not affected by SR.

Other example. Why arcane archer can only imbue fire? There are tons of fire immune/resistant creatures. This killed the class IMHO.

I have tryed a "necromancer" in core nwn. Gived up. In PRC, they are viable, but in core nwn due his nerfs, they aren't. Dread Necromancer in PRC and in core DnD are the same. PRC(Player Resource Consortium's ) can be used in NWN:EE? Or only in "old" nwn? With my "Plague of Undead"(lv 9 spell), i can summon 4 undead at once. That is how a necromancer should be in NWN. Also, Dread Necromancer gets Lich template at lv 20 and his feats are amazing. Dread necro isn't OP on PRC. IMHO are simple like any other specialized caster.

• Undead Graft (Su): At 6th level, a pale master gives in to terrible necrophiliac urges. He cuts off his arm and replaces it with an undead prosthetic, which may be skeletal in form or preserved flesh stitched in place like that of a flesh golem. Regardless of its composition, the graft grants a +4 inherent bonus to the character’s Strength score. Additionally, the undead graft allows him to deliver horrible touch attacks. A pale master can use this ability once per day at 6th level, twice per day at 8th level, and three times per day at 10th level. The character must declare that he is using this ability before making the attack roll; a failed attack roll still expends that use of the ability. Each time he makes a touch attack using this ability, the pale master can select from any of the effects described below for which he meets the prerequisite class level. The save DC for the pale master’s touch attacks is 10 + his pale master class level + his Cha modifier.

• Paralyzing Touch: Any living foe except for an elf that is hit by a pale master’s touch attack must succeed on a Fortitude save or be paralyzed for 1d4+1 rounds. Prerequisite: Class level 6th.

• Weakening Touch: A living foe hit by a pale master’s touch attack takes 1d6 points of Strength damage (no save). A creature reduced to Strength 0 dies. Prerequisite: Class level 7th.

• Degenerative Touch: A living foe hit by a pale master’s touch attack receives one negative level (no save), and must make a Fortitude save 24 hours later to avoid losing the level permanently. Prerequisite: Class level 8th.

• Destructive Touch: A living foe hit by a pale master’s touch attack must succeed on a Fortitude save or take 1d6 points of Constitution drain. Prerequisite: Class level 9th.

• Deathless Master’s Touch: A living foe of up to one size category larger than a pale master hit by the pale master’s touch attack must succeed on a Fortitude save or die. A slain creature automatically animates 1 round later as a zombie (see page 265 of the Monster Manual) and is under the pale master’s control as if he had animated it. Undead created using this power do not count against a pale master’s HD total for controlling undead. Prerequisite: Class level 10th.

Some Palemaster attributes
    Not much good for dungeon grinding agreed, but perhaps that was not the intention of the creators, rather a rich and interesting character, not a set of stats to grind through a calculator to create the most UBER build. Palemaster vs Wiz of same level. I guess wiz would win the fight but the PM wins the actual character richness hands down. Awesomeness vs actual practicality? I guess this is one of the limitations the game makes you do, stat build to win, not enrich the world which brings about this entire argument.
    Like some weapons that ‘suk’ and leave you wondering, why? They add to the richness of the world, useless for stat building tanks but great for interesting NPCs and stuff. I guess what I’m trying to point out is that if you play nwn/D&D solely to stat build an avatar to devastate everything, you are guaranteed to be disappointed at some stage.

(The views expressed by the author may not neccesarily reflect the views of anyone else or be correct in any way. )
    edited January 2018
    MrDamage said:

(...)
    Not much good for dungeon grinding agreed, but perhaps that was not the intention of the creators, rather a rich and interesting character, not a set of stats to grind through a calculator to create the most UBER build. Palemaster vs Wiz of same level. I guess wiz would win the fight but the PM wins the actual character richness hands down. Awesomeness vs actual practicality? I guess this is one of the limitations the game makes you do, stat build to win, not enrich the world which brings about this entire argument.
    Like some weapons that ‘suk’ and leave you wondering, why? They add to the richness of the world, useless for stat building tanks but great for interesting NPCs and stuff. I guess what I’m trying to point out is that if you play nwn/D&D solely to stat build an avatar to devastate everything, you are guaranteed to be disappointed at some stage.

That description is pale master in DnD

Well, why not have an "rich and interesting character" that can compete with other casters? Also, a Pale Master with an undead army will be very interesting. Please. Try complete hotu in max difficulty with pale master.

According to dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Pale_Master,_Rebuild_(3.5e_Prestige_Class)#Spellcasting
    Pale Master Caster Level

Will not be good if you can use a "rich and interesting character" and not be a burden or weak to your party? The unique way to have a good experience playing as a necromancer in NWN is if you install PRC and use Dread necro class that follows DnD 3.5e class ( www.athasreborn.com/prc/manual/english/content/base_classes/187.html )

Dread necromancer progression

As you can see, you are much more powerful in necromancy, much more resistant, but lose your versatility. In nwn in order to be able to have only one summon(while in pnp you can have an army) and some resistances, you need to sacrifice 10 caster levels, 10 levels of new spells... A Wiz 10/PM 10 have no chance against a Wiz 20. To be honest, even against a Wizard 12/ Wizard 13, he will probably gonna lose, since tier 6 spells are pretty good and a wiz 10 can't use tier 6 spells.

-----------------------------------------------

Edit : If someone wanna knows how is Dread Necro in PRC, here is how many creatures i can control at max level(and yes, used cheats)

Look the amount of summons

Same

As you can see, in order to play as a necromancer, you need to mod the game... Since by some reason the game doesn't let me pick "true necromancer" prestige class, i have picked "cleric"
    Post edited by SorcererV1ct0r on
    You are forgetting NWN is a 15 year old video game and not a perfect table top DnD simulator.

If you have to ask the question why then the answer is probably "Because NWN is a video game that uses a 15 year old engine and has some severe limitations".

Also, the game needs to play in multiplayer as it does in singleplayer and NWN does not handle large amounts of complex AI very well even with todays hardware.
    Relative power of the undead a modder lets you have is not really worth discussing but it should be noted I think there are feats that potentially allow you to have hundreds of perhaps thousands of undead. There are like about 20 or 30 feats about undead and you don't need a new class to use them.
    edited January 2018

You are forgetting NWN is a 15 year old video game and not a perfect table top DnD simulator.

If you have to ask the question why then the answer is probably "Because NWN is a video game that uses a 15 year old engine and has some severe limitations".

Also, the game needs to play in multiplayer as it does in singleplayer and NWN does not handle large amounts of complex AI very well even with todays hardware.

I know that isn't a perfect DnD simulator, but why not make DnD more close to PnP? Also BG:EE allows you to have 5 summons. And people prefere the old way that , also, in servers you can cap the summons for your player to improve performance, disable spells like Stop Time and etc but should be a server setting and not affect the singleplayer.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/17313/monster-summoning-limit

There are tons of RPGs that DnD is only an influence. NWN should be an DND game.

Relative power of the undead a modder lets you have is not really worth discussing but it should be noted I think there are feats that potentially allow you to have hundreds of perhaps thousands of undead. There are like about 20 or 30 feats about undead and you don't need a new class to use them.

This power isn't the "power that a modder let you have", this is simple the power that any Dread Necromancer can have in D&D, i have posted a link to the rules for 3.5e. Why Necros should be weak in nwn than they are in D&D and all other classes shouldn't? In BG necro clerics are viable, in NWN aren't. In BG Conjuration specialized Wizards are viable. In NWN aren't.

-----------------------------------------

I have found some boards asking for the thinks that i an asking on this topic

Give caster level to pale masters
    Expanded spellbooks: Fix discrepancies with prestige class casting
    Improve summoning
    Improve summoning
    is-ballancing-nerfing-pnp-spells-prestige-classes-good-nwn-ee-should-be-more-pnp?

I must admit I thought you were talking about something else but on review of what you are actually saying, I find myself agreeing with your last posts cause your pretty much right.
    Should NWN rules more accurately emulate D&D pnp rules? I think so yes.
    CAN nwn more accurately emulate D&D pnp rules? No, the game will blow up in a puff of confetti unfortunately as has already been pointed out by others. The only thing I could think of doing in the situation of undead army to make it closer is max out spawns to say 5 but also have an ‘army’ counter. So when each of the 5 dies, instant res pawn untill your army of say 100 is expended. I believe this kind of thing is what you mean.
    edited January 2018
    MrDamage said:

is-ballancing-nerfing-pnp-spells-prestige-classes-good-nwn-ee-should-be-more-pnp?

I must admit I thought you were talking about something else but on review of what you are actually saying, I find myself agreeing with your last posts cause your pretty much right.
    Should NWN rules more accurately emulate D&D pnp rules? I think so yes.
    CAN nwn more accurately emulate D&D pnp rules? No, the game will blow up in a puff of confetti unfortunately as has already been pointed out by others. The only thing I could think of doing in the situation of undead army to make it closer is max out spawns to say 5 but also have an ‘army’ counter. So when each of the 5 dies, instant res pawn untill your army of say 100 is expended. I believe this kind of thing is what you mean.

Yea, nwn can't perfectly emulate all DnD rules. For example : Raise Island, an epic spell. This can be implemented in nwn? Yes, but will be hard as hell to implement and will be barely used.

About summons, in the "core" nwn, doesn't matter if you have an low level undead or an dragon( epic spell "Dragon Knight" summons a dragon). You can only have one summon. In PnP if you have more undead that you can control, you lose control over your undeads. In NWN - PRC mod, you unsummon and the "exceeding" monsters. The Plage of Undead spell in DnD and in PRC have a limit by HD(hit dice) of 4x your caster level. I think that limit the monsters controlled by "Hit Dice" is the way so a mid level caster can control one/two strong minions or 10 weak minions. I know that this is hard to be implemented, so if summoning in nwn1 becomes like bg, summons will be at least viable and those who wanna play something more closer to pnp can use mods. I was arguing for full pnp summons, but if summons become like bg i will be happy.
    Your screenshots aren't showing undead that you can create in D&D. It's entirely dependent on the module maker what they allow in terms of base creatures for undead templates. Furthermore you don't need the dread necromancer class to control a high volume of undead HD, but the undead you control largely depends on the module creator. If they're ettin skeletons then they should be 10 HD each (23 + 4 str, 8 + 2 + 4 dex, no con/int, 10 wis, 1 cha), a skeleton cloud giant is 17 HD (35 + 4 str, 13 + 2 + 4 dex, no con/int, 10 wis, 1 cha), and a skeleton titan would be (43 + 4 str, 12 + 2 + 4 dex, no con/int, 10 wis, 1 cha). If they're supposed to be ettin skeletons then they would get +2 natural armor, if a bigger giant like cloud giant or titan they would get +3, for damage the claws would do 1d6 for ettin and 1d8 for cloud giant or ettin.

As you can see the undead you're using look nothing like a normal type of undead using pnp rules, they are a custom creation (or uncommon monster hidden in a book) hence it depends on the module creator for providing you with the "bodies" so to speak.

Furthermore level 20 applies the lich template to your character, there's no prc, those that do exist would forbid it to characters that are no longer humanoid or monstrous humanoid as you can't double dip. A template class is a form of progression similar to taking class levels but you do not gain the benefits of actual class levels, as lich is a +4 level adjustment template then you should not be able to gain 10 levels in it. I'm not criticizing the PRC but if we are talking about what pnp provides then this is simply incorrect.

We can't draw any NWN vs table top D&D conclusions from this because it's specific to those mods only.

The essential purpose of spells like plague of undead is to raise an army of undead from surrounding graveyard or battlefield, they would follow the rules for creating zombies and skeletons in a radius of 125ft around you at level 40, and 250ft with enlarge spell metamagic.

There are other ways to create undead too that don't have conversions, and there are necromantic feats which do things like further increase the HD of your undead. It overcomes the main weakness of mindless undead which are unable to advance on account of being mindless and lifeless bodies animated by negative energy magic.

Your screenshots aren't showing undead that you can create in D&D. It's entirely dependent on the module maker what they allow in terms of base creatures for undead templates. Furthermore you don't need the dread necromancer class to control a high volume of undead HD, but the undead you control largely depends on the module creator. If they're ettin skeletons then they should be 10 HD each (23 + 4 str, 8 + 2 + 4 dex, no con/int, 10 wis, 1 cha), a skeleton cloud giant is 17 HD (35 + 4 str, 13 + 2 + 4 dex, no con/int, 10 wis, 1 cha), and a skeleton titan would be (43 + 4 str, 12 + 2 + 4 dex, no con/int, 10 wis, 1 cha). If they're supposed to be ettin skeletons then they would get +2 natural armor, if a bigger giant like cloud giant or titan they would get +3, for damage the claws would do 1d6 for ettin and 1d8 for cloud giant or ettin.

As you can see the undead you're using look nothing like a normal type of undead using pnp rules, they are a custom creation (or uncommon monster hidden in a book) hence it depends on the module creator for providing you with the "bodies" so to speak.

Furthermore level 20 applies the lich template to your character, there's no prc, those that do exist would forbid it to characters that are no longer humanoid or monstrous humanoid as you can't double dip. A template class is a form of progression similar to taking class levels but you do not gain the benefits of actual class levels, as lich is a +4 level adjustment template then you should not be able to gain 10 levels in it. I'm not criticizing the PRC but if we are talking about what pnp provides then this is simply incorrect.

We can't draw any NWN vs table top D&D conclusions from this because it's specific to those mods only.

The essential purpose of spells like plague of undead is to raise an army of undead from surrounding graveyard or battlefield, they would follow the rules for creating zombies and skeletons in a radius of 125ft around you at level 40, and 250ft with enlarge spell metamagic.

There are other ways to create undead too that don't have conversions, and there are necromantic feats which do things like further increase the HD of your undead. It overcomes the main weakness of mindless undead which are unable to advance on account of being mindless and lifeless bodies animated by negative energy magic.

Well said. Actually create an undead army is one of the best things that you can do in PNP but in core nwn you can't do this. PRC puts nwn more closer to PNP but still there are many differences. Other think that i love to do in pnp is create an construct army.
  • raz651raz651 Member Posts: 175
    Just to point out, NWN was to be more than just a single player game. If you had the max players (40) on your server and they all had one summon. That would be 80 characters not including monsters. Now if you had multiple summons like you want that would increase exponentially.

The reason for the limit is do to the amount of resources to the programmers. This is why it isn't more like pen and paper, cause it isn't pen and paper. It is a computer game.
    edited January 2018
    raz651 said:

Just to point out, NWN was to be more than just a single player game. If you had the max players (40) on your server and they all had one summon. That would be 80 characters not including monsters. Now if you had multiple summons like you want that would increase exponentially.

The reason for the limit is do to the amount of resources to the programmers. This is why it isn't more like pen and paper, cause it isn't pen and paper. It is a computer game.

Using your logic, time stop should be removed for the game, not limited in some MP servers that wanna limit. There are 54544165341654163216531*10²³ RPG games that are far different from pnp and there are tons of servers for PRC on nwn1. I don't see any problem. Some servers limit summons, but the majority don't limit. To be honest is far more easy to find servers that limit stop time than that limit summons. Nwn1 is very close to pnp, except in some aspects like necromancy and conjuration, while sword coast legends is very distant from dnd. Lets compare both.

Comparing nwn1 with sword coast legends score on metacritic

Very limited class selection, no skill checks, Bad AI, no crafting, diablo style skill tree.... Sure, is "a computer game", but since is too different from dnd, nobody liked. There are already tons of games that are far different from pnp. NWN still alive since 2002 and Baldur's Gate still played since 1998.
    edited January 2018
    Did you just make the argument that Neverwinter Nights needs to be more like PnP so that it can be as good and successful as Neverwinter Nights?

It's not an efficient strategy so even an accurate pnp implementation of undead creating options wont cause an entire server to overload. Plague of undead specifies, in the version from the same book as dread necromancer, that you cannot animate a skeleton or zombie that has already been destroyed once before. Furthermore you're limited by the racial HD of the creatures, so in a human graveyard you will only summon 1 HD medium sized human skeletons and zombies.

In all cases of undead animating or controlling spells you have no guarantees that the amount of total HD meets your allowed maximum, nor guarantees that the individual HD of the undead will be high enough to be useful for epic leveling. An accurate closer to pen and paper rules system would be situation dependent on the body material you have available. It's the main difference between undead and summons.
    edited January 2018

Did you just make the argument that Neverwinter Nights needs to be more like PnP so that it can be as good and successful as Neverwinter Nights?

No, so he can be more successful. At the moment nwn1 is a pretty good game, but can get better.

It's not an efficient strategy so even an accurate pnp implementation of undead creating options wont cause an entire server to overload. Plague of undead specifies, in the version from the same book as dread necromancer, that you cannot animate a skeleton or zombie that has already been destroyed once before. Furthermore you're limited by the racial HD of the creatures, so in a human graveyard you will only summon 1 HD medium sized human skeletons and zombies.

In all cases of undead animating or controlling spells you have no guarantees that the amount of total HD meets your allowed maximum, nor guarantees that the individual HD of the undead will be high enough to be useful for epic leveling. An accurate closer to pen and paper rules system would be situation dependent on the body material you have available. It's the main difference between undead and summons.

Well said. Only an correction about my information about Plague of Undead above. PRC tries to be more pnp but still have some differences. Plague of undead in PRC and in DnD (sources http://www.athasreborn.com/prc/manual/english/content/spells/3439.html and https://www.dndtools.net/spells/heroes-of-horror--70/plague-of-undead--1445/ ) there are a very big difference.

PRC
    DnD 5e
    Of course, even NWN animate dead is very different to D&D with unique undead. That's really the point because if they decide you get a 40 HD undead or a 1 HD undead it depends on whether they're following pnp or their own personal design. Which is why it's not really fruitful to discuss the classes because someone can decide that animate dead creates a skeleton with a thousand hp and 60 hd.
  • ShadooowShadooow Member Posts: 402

Some servers limit summons, but the majority don't limit. To be honest is far more easy to find servers that limit stop time than that limit summons. Nwn1 is very close to pnp, except in some aspects like

Not true. I didn't even see any multiplayer server allowing more than 1 summon unless it was server with PRC installed (and those were only few and they all sooner or later died).

NWN itself limits summons and it is not easy to make them unlimited. Not many builders know how to do that, it was so far presented only in PRC and community patch. And both of these packages aren't well received by the PW builders.
    edited January 2018
    Shadooow said:

Some servers limit summons, but the majority don't limit. To be honest is far more easy to find servers that limit stop time than that limit summons. Nwn1 is very close to pnp, except in some aspects like

Not true. I didn't even see any multiplayer server allowing more than 1 summon unless it was server with PRC installed (and those were only few and they all sooner or later died).

NWN itself limits summons and it is not easy to make them unlimited. Not many builders know how to do that, it was so far presented only in PRC and community patch. And both of these packages aren't well received by the PW builders.
    I was talking about PRC servers but you are right. If very rare to see a "non limited" server outside of PRC community. But i have joined in a server with 12 Dread Necromancers and ... the server din't crashed. Note that thre are spells that summons 4 creatures at once from "evil planes" and for "good planes" in PRC, so probably there are at least 20 people in the server that can create an army.

PS : Since you are a very good mod builder, is hard to create vampire hakpak that allows you to take sun damage, make "vampire thralls" and give orders to thralls? Like in pnp? I have tried a vampire mod but the game crashed...