Skip to content

RPG's with lots of RP potential

SyllistriaSyllistria Member Posts: 4
Greetings fellow forumers!

I'm a long time lurker but have never posted anything on these forums until now. I have a little question for you all. I've recently completed my first playthrough of both the Baldur's Gate Saga and TES: Morrowind and was absolutely blown away by both.
Now I'm looking for other roleplaying games that offer a similar amount of roleplaying potential. The potential can be either hardcoded in the game (as dialogue options, skill checks, companion interactions etc.) or freeform (as the ability to make your own story - like the The Elder Scrolls games for example). Games like Icewind Dale, Diablo, Dungeon Siege, Temple of Elemental Evil etc. are not what I am after, there's not enough RP potential there in my opinion, they are too hack and slashy.

I've discovered that the RPG genre is actually my new favorite by far, I'd love to experience as many of the great RPG games as I can, in a mostly chronological order, starting back in the 1990's. I've already started making a list with suggestions my friends gave me, but would love some help completing it. So if you have any recommendation of games that would fit, I'd really appreciate it! :)

If you have any advice of which role/playstyle makes the game flow the best, that'd be great too. I'd prefer to play a role that the game developers intended as canon and have a good experience than try to play something quite different and have it end up feeling odd.

I am also not a completionist, I just want to enjoy the story while doing some/most side quests.

So the list I've got so far:

- Fallout I (male human gunslinger diplomat)
- Fallout II (female human gunslinger diplomat)
- Planescape Torment (smart man build)
- Arcanum (got no build yet)
- Neverwinter Nights and expansions (got no build yet)
- Knights of the Old Republic I (male human scout/consular)
- Knights of the Old Republic II (female human guardian/weapon master)
- Vampire the Masquarades (got no build yet)
- Oblivion (male imperial, no build yet)
- Neverwinter Nights 2 and expansions (no build yet)
- Witcher I (mixed build)

Comments

• megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    you preety much listed all the most common ones.

fallout new vegas bascily it's the real fallout 3. and there is a ton role playing options in this compared to the 3 and 4 as it's made by the 1 and 2 team.
  • SyllistriaSyllistria Member Posts: 4
    Yes I am sure Fallout 3 and NV will end up on my list too but that's too far into the future.
    I was more looking for older games going from roughly 1995-2005 :)
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Drakensang perhaps? Haven't played it through myself and even though it's not as widely known as BG, it's said to be a solid game. There's more than one as well I believe and they have a class called "charlatan" which is epic win in my book :)
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Pillars of Eternity. There are gobs of race, skill, class, and talent checks. The way people react to you as well as ways to resolve quests can open up or be closed off based on who your character is. This was one of my favorite things about the game.
    edited January 2018
    I will definitely look more into Drakensang, it seems to fit the criteria from what I've been able to see from a youtube video :)

Pillars of Eternity I've already played and loved it :)
    What about stuff like the Gothic series, Divine Divinity etc? Does anyone have good experience with those?