Skip to content

[Solved][Linux] No sound at all

squattingmonksquattingmonk Member Posts: 59
edited January 2018 in Technical Support
Howdy, all. Finally downloaded the game only to find no sound at all. Not even in the startup videos. Choosing "Advanced Sound Options" shows no sound providers listed.
$ cat build-date.txt Wed Dec 13 14:30:52 MST 2017
Here's the relevant section of my nwn.ini:
[Sound Options] 2D3D Bias=1.00 3D Provider= Speaker Type=0 SoundFX Volume=0.75 Voice Volume=0.75 Music Volume=0.75 Environment Effects=0 DisableSound=0
I'm running Arch Linux 4.14.6-1.
$ uname -r 4.14.6-1-ARCH
$ lspci -k | grep Audio 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04) Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller 07:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GF114 HDMI Audio Controller (rev a1) Subsystem: eVga.com. Corp. GF114 HDMI Audio Controller
I've used both Alsa and PulseAudio to no effect. Any ideas for what I can check next?
Post edited by squattingmonk on

Comments

• DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    Do you have openAL installed? They switched to using openal recently. I'm still having some audio issues under ubuntu with sounds playing out of the wrong speakers and being really quiet, though. I haven't tried the work around I used to fix sound on Windows for me, it may work for Linux as well. https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/67746/installed-newest-patch-and-a-lot-of-sounds-are-missing

I don't think it showing no providers is an issue. I don't see any on windows or linux.
    JuliusBorisov
  • squattingmonksquattingmonk Member Posts: 59
    Yes, I have installed both 32-bit and 64-bit openAL packages. I've also now tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game to no effect.
    I found that launching the game via nwmain-linux or nwn.sh causes sound to play as normal. Launching through the Beamdog client still causes no sound.
    Update: I tried switching back to PulseAudio and this time installed the pulseaudio-alsa package. Sound is now working!
    JuliusBorisov