Skip to content

Am I facing a lag? [BGEE:SoD]

Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
edited January 2018 in Troubleshooting
So I just started playing SoD, and the first thing I came to notice is that the walking speed of the characters seems to be a lot slower than in the main story. I started a BG game to re-check, and yes, my character is moving a lot faster there.

Is this normal? I know SoD has better graphics, and my prehistoric computer ( with just an Intel Dual Core 2.00 GHz and 2 GB RAM) might be struggling to handle it, but I didn't notice any other problems so far.

Can someone please verify? I'm a bit tensed about this.
Post edited by Rik_Kirtaniya on

Comments

•  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2018
    Have you tried disabling fog? Try adding this entry to your baldur.lua file:

SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Enable Fog','0')
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    @Artemius_I, Thanks for your advice. I tried disabling fog, but unfortunately that isn't changing things much. I think that isn't the problem here.

However, I noticed a most astonishing thing. Since I tested it for about 20 minutes or so, I don't think it's an illusion of my mind. The fact is that at first I was using a custom portrait for my main character, and when I changed it to a pre-included portrait, it appears that things do indeed speed up, if only a little (which is pretty significant for me). I then tried playing once with a custom portrait and then a generic portrait in the main game, and noticed that there too, the speed is decreased a bit if I play with a custom portrait. I faced this same problem with custom portraits earlier in IWD:EE.

I wonder if it is due to the fact that I've used only one high resolution image file for the custom portraits, instead of 3 separate L, M and S files (of decreasing resolutions respectively). I'm confused. :/
    Now, I've zoomed in the screen, and I found that the animations are pretty smooth, and the footsteps are very natural. I think it's the way things are normally.

And well, now that I'm thinking over it, though the custom portrait lag is indeed there in IWDEE (at least for low end devices), the custom portrait may not be a huge issue in this case. Am I seeing illusions? Don't bother much for now. (I'll play further and then file a report in the Troubleshooting section, if the thing persists.)
    OK, so I played for some time just now, testing the spell animations and movements, and it feels very smooth and natural. I think that the apparent difference in walking speed between BGEE and SoD is due to the much more realistic animations in SoD. I believe it's all right, for there is no other lag I've found yet. Now, I can finally enjoy the game.

And yes, I must say that the Developers have done an excellent work in the graphics! The improvement in SoD over BG is highly significant, and feels really, really great! (More so because it can be handled by my ancient computer. :) )
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    turning of weather effects helped me. but the game still lagged during scenes in the city with alot of people in the background.
  • HouseOfTiaxHouseOfTiax Member Posts: 11
    I am going to post an article on this. Replaying the game after a few years and think I found a solution that has not been put on the forums yet. I tried a ton of stuff like resintalling, compatability, diffrent resolutions, updating driver, updating windows, ect but it has to do with shader settings in ULA file. If you go to the temple district and stand near that circle thing with the water it might still lag but thats the only lag area ive seen. Also if you are using a laptop or even PC make sure it is not overheating