Skip to content

Custom Music Popping and Hissing?

voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248
I installed the Community Music Pack and made my own Music Pack from the NWN2 audio files.

Ever since the OpenAL update I get this popping on drums and a hissing on higher registers. It's not on all tracks but enough that I can't just work around it.

I read something in the patch notes about OpenMP3 and I will freely admit ignorance. Can we now add MP3's instead of BMU files and if so how does this work? I tried just adding an mp3 into the music folder and creating a corresponding 2da line but that was a no go.

I feel like I am missing something obvious.

Thank you in advance,

- Jamie

Comments

• voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248
    edited February 2018
    After playing around with it all night I discovered that some of the NWN2 music files have the slightest amount of clipping (0.9dB) and this clipping would cause NWN's audio to freak out.

So now it's time to check all 140 files and correct the clipping issue where present.

To Note. This was not a problem in standard NWN and only affects the EE.

I was able to repeat this issue on Win 7, Win 10. OnBoard Audio, Sound Card and nVidia Audio. HDMI & Optical. Through a 5.1 surround sound system and direct from TV Speakers.
    Post edited by voidofopinion on
    edited February 2018
    So I have now managed to get rid of most of the distortion by reducing any clipping but the files still have a problem with upper and lower registers that are simply not present when playing the files in audacity.

MP3's sound fine.

BMU files in the toolset & in game sound a little tinny and still have some distortion on the upper and lower frequencies.

Tested on Windows 7, and Windows 10 on 2 separate computers and two separate laptops.

Again, this was not a problem before the OpenAL update.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    The QA is aware of this problem, thanks for reporting it, @voidofopinion !
    Good good,

Thank you @JuliusBorisov !