Skip to content

Replicating IE "?" (Interest Points)

IE engine games featured something I liked quite a lot, "points of interest". A "?" would appear while hovering over one, then clicking would show some text such as "These barrels contain a murky liquid. It smells like a cross between vinegar and formaldehyde." (Planescape Torment, Mortuary Barrels in the level where you wake up).

How do you feel this would be best replicated in NWNEE modules?

Comments

• TesterosityTesterosity Member Posts: 6
    I seem to recall that was something you could do, although it might be that you had to interact (e.g. click) to get it to happen. I can remember placing triggers on floors to prompt environmental text to show up (e.g. walking down corridor, "The floor seems sticky." would appear in your text box as you walked).
  • Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992
    You also have to click on IE interest points, so that's all good!
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    There are modules that do this already with useable placeables that when clicked they pop-up the description box automatically. Even general text can be done with onclick events.
  • RifkinRifkin Member Posts: 141
    edited February 2018
    Assuming you have your toolset open...
    1. Paint a New Generic Trigger
    2. Open the new triggers properties
    3. Set the "OnClick" script, it must be set... You can probably put something useful in there though
    4. Go to Advanced Tab
    5. Choose your Cursor and Portait:
  • RifkinRifkin Member Posts: 141
    edited February 2018
    Or you can use a placeable, as others have mentioned.
    Rifkin said:

Or you can use a placeable, as others have mentioned.

As in a transparent placeable?
  • KethaKetha Member Posts: 10

As in a transparent placeable?

Any kind of placeable you wish.
  • PhantasmaPhantasma Member Posts: 79
    Just to (hopefully) clarify, you can do an ActionExamine in the OnUsed of the placeable for the description text to appear when the placeable is clicked (OnClicked probably works just as well)
    I still think it would need an invisible one, to simulate at most.
  • ShadooowShadooow Member Posts: 402
    Closest to what you want would be nwncx_patch NWNCX plugin for 1.69 feature to controll player's highlighting feature (TAB)

so you could disable player to highlight anything - that would practically do what you want, player would have to hover with mouse over every placeable to figure whether that placeable is useable or not, therefore the "point of interest" placeable would be any placeable with OnClick script that prints feedback over that placeable.

In NWN:EE you will have to suffice without overriding highlighting, won't be as close but even the printing message when clicked on placeable could bring the feel you desire...
    Shadooow said:

Closest to what you want would be nwncx_patch NWNCX plugin for 1.69 feature to controll player's highlighting feature (TAB)

so you could disable player to highlight anything - that would practically do what you want, player would have to hover with mouse over every placeable to figure whether that placeable is useable or not, therefore the "point of interest" placeable would be any placeable with OnClick script that prints feedback over that placeable.

In NWN:EE you will have to suffice without overriding highlighting, won't be as close but even the printing message when clicked on placeable could bring the feel you desire...

Thank you, I just meant to achieve a result as clean and similar as possible :)