Skip to content

Coming to IOS mobile

Just like it says when will Siege of Dragonspear come to mobile

I understand the file size must be reduced to meet the App Store requirements but on there Twitter they haven't spoke about it in awhile

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Hello, @MrTreestar !

There's no ETA for SoD on mobile, but it will come!
    MrTreestarStummvonBordwehr
  • MrTreestarMrTreestar Member Posts: 2
    Wow thanks for the reply
    JuliusBorisov
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    Sometimes I wonder what else they are working on for this to take so long. I mean, there was PSTEE.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    To be released with the next elder scrolls game
    histamiini
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    PugPug said:

Sometimes I wonder what else they are working on for this to take so long. I mean, there was PSTEE.

Duke Nukem: ad Infinitum

ThacoBellPugPug
  • firebringerfirebringer Member Posts: 25
    Ok, now I feel silly. I tried to find SoD in the Apple store and didn't see it. I did a Google search and saw this thread. Is SoD really not available yet on iOS? Even after BGEE and BG2EE got updated for 64 bit?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @firebringer Not yet. After BGEE and BG2EE are patched with 2.5, SoD is getting special focus to bring it out.
    StummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisovTorgrimmer
  • SodOnIosSodOnIos Member Posts: 1
    Bump
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    edited January 2018
    They said Dec. 5th that they would have news on it soon, “for real this time.”

http://blog.beamdog.com/2017/12/the-25-update-beta-is-here.html?m=1

But in a few days it will have been a month, and I think it will be fair to say soon came and went with nothing.
    I think they said that they’ll do sod on iOS after the patch they are working on
    tbone1ThacoBellStummvonBordwehr
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    Grum said:

I think they said that they’ll do sod on iOS after the patch they are working on

I think the big reveal was the fact that they unequivocally stated that SoD to 2.5/tablets is the next working project after the 2.5 patches for the other games. Somewhere Trent already said that at least someone is working on it already (lines of code being typed).
    ThacoBellStummvonBordwehrPugPug
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Guess I’ll slowly get my DD up to the sarevok fight...
    StummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisov
  • StaranStaran Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 295
    Don’t get me wrong with what I am about to say but I love Beamdog and what they have done with my old fav games.
    But If it takes this long to make sod for iOS I don’t understand what their thought behind it is.
    Did it even take this long to make SOD in the first place?

Bg1 and 2, iwd all came out on iOS at the same time (roughly). It takes 2 years for this to come out and this was developed specifically to be cross platform (this is just an assumption)
    Staran said:

Don’t get me wrong with what I am about to say but I love Beamdog and what they have done with my old fav games.
    But If it takes this long to make sod for iOS I don’t understand what their thought behind it is.
    Did it even take this long to make SOD in the first place?

Bg1 and 2, iwd all came out on iOS at the same time (roughly). It takes 2 years for this to come out and this was developed specifically to be cross platform (this is just an assumption)

I think the main issue has to do with the fact that SoD is an extension for BG:EE. While that doesn't really matter for PC's, I can imagine it could run into some trouble with tablets and phones which have a severe limitation in space (if I'm not mistaken). So I think that there is the issue of clearing the hurdle of what SoD shall be (an extension? DLC? stand-alone?) before they can manage to jam it onto tablets. The good thing about the delay is that you'll get SoD after it has been brought up to v2.5 so to ensure parity with all the other games (and numerous bugfixes besides).

JuliusBorisovThacoBell
    Because of its 32-bit compatibilty, Apple’s app store required a limit of 4 GB. They have switched to 64-bit only (hence the 2.4 release) so that should remove at least one of the barriers for iOS.
    Doubledimas
    So it was the app size that took so long?

Ugh. Ok I understand it
    Staran said:

So it was the app size that took so long?

Ugh. Ok I understand it

Yeah, and it makes sense on both sides. Apple didn’t want or need the overhead of the “paperwork”, Beamdog couldn’t sell it standalone thanks to WotC, and WotC needs version 5 pushed, not version 2. It all makes sense, but ...
    ThacoBell
    Hmmmph.
    Going on vacation Tuesday and was hoping to play it.
    Which Tuesday, @Staran?
    StummvonBordwehr
    The 6th.
    For some reason i has completely planned to play SOD on my trip next week. Since I booked the vacation in November I planned this.
    In my head it is already on my iPad.
    bah now I don’t have time to play until the summer.
    JuliusBorisov
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    @JuliusBorisov Do you have any info on its price? 9.99 bucks?
    StummvonBordwehr
  • DonCzirrDonCzirr Member Posts: 165
    Yes !

Price is irrelevant ;)

Time to finally kill Sarevok !
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    Out of curiosity, are there any plans to bring SoD to the Mac App Store?

My assumption has been that the tricky part is bundling as DLC rather than a distinct game, and so it would happen after the problem was solved as part of the iOS release - but I have never seen any confirmation of intent to bring SoD to the Mac customers living inside Apple's walled garden.
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535

Out of curiosity, are there any plans to bring SoD to the Mac App Store?

I guess so. I mean, why not?
    Could it be that this is the long-awaited sign for SoD coming to tablets...?
    StummvonBordwehrtbone1

Could it be that this is the long-awaited sign for SoD coming to tablets...?

Sure. That post has got a little update about the subject of the test :)
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    @Luke93 - my "why not" assumption is now leaning towards "not", as every time I mention SoD on Mac App Store, I get no response, vs. other times I mention waiting for Mac App Store patches, which are always in the works.

It looks like SoD is on its way for iOS, but still no news (neither confirmed nor rejected) for Mac App Store. At this point, assumptions are still all we have to go on, and after so long without acknowledgement, my assumptions are now trending negative.
This discussion has been closed.