Skip to content

BG2:EE - Custom Portrait trouble

beffagornbeffagorn Member Posts: 10
edited February 2018 in Troubleshooting
Hello everyone, recently i downloaded BG2:EE (GoG Edition), with the intention of playing an evil character. I've already decided my party, and one of them is Viconia. Since her default portrait is horrible (you can't say it isnt! :neutral:) i've decided to change it.

I downloaded her portrait from SoD, it shows both in the chat box and the character screen, but not on the companion bar, I've got no idea why that is happening.

Since the other 2 portraits (I suppose the L and M) work, i must have placed them in the correct folder, so that's not the issue.

I've checked the size and it is 54x84pixels, 24bit bmp. From what i have read, it is the right size

The file is called NVICONS, according to the wiki that is the right name.

Has anyone encountered this problem and found a solution? I searched the forum but didn't find anything that helped me. i literally tried everything, i deleted the game and downloaded it again, tried with another character, but nothing worked. :disappointed:

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    what you could try doing is using EE keeper to manually adjust her portraits to those specific sizes ( in EE keeper there are 2 size options )

so with that, you could adjust your current viconia and the actual viconia creature file so when you pick her up in a future run, she will already come with that portrait by default
  • beffagornbeffagorn Member Posts: 10
    sarevok57 said:

what you could try doing is using EE keeper to manually adjust her portraits to those specific sizes ( in EE keeper there are 2 size options )

so with that, you could adjust your current viconia and the actual viconia creature file so when you pick her up in a future run, she will already come with that portrait by default

Mh. I've never used an editor for BG before, how do i do that?
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    edited February 2018
    @beffagorn
    I would suggest you make 3 separate copies of the same Large Portrait and them as NVICONL, NVICONM, NVICONS respectively. And I hope you placed them in the "override" folder?

That's how I'd placed a custom portrait for Aerie (with separate file names), and it worked fine for me.

Let me know if this helps.
    JuliusBorisov
    edited February 2018

@beffagorn
    I would suggest you make 3 separate copies of the same Large Portrait and them as NVICONL, NVICONM, NVICONS respectively. And I hope you placed them in the "override" folder?

That's how I'd placed a custom portrait for Aerie (with separate file names), and it worked fine for me.

Yes, they are in the override folder, otherwise the large and medium would not show. It's just the small one that is giving me trouble. I'll try doing that now.

EDIT: nope, doesn't work.
    edited February 2018
    Check if the portrait dimensions are 210 x 330 pixels. Even for the small one. Otherwise, I guess it's a bug.
    JuliusBorisov

Check if the portrait dimensions are 210 x 330 pixels. Even for the small one. Otherwise, I guess it's a bug.

Yes, i tried exactly as you said, and it didn't work. :disappointed:
    That's bad. It might be a bug. Perhaps, someone more experienced can help.

For now, you'll have to manage with the default one, I guess.

That's bad. It might be a bug. Perhaps, someone more experienced can help.

For now, you'll have to manage with the default one, I guess.

I guess so.

BTW, i doubt this has something to do with it, but i'm playing with an imported character from SoD.
    edited February 2018
    hokay, so here's the deal, i've set the default viconia you get ( at level 2 when you find her in Peldvale ) with her SoD portrait

but here's the thing: since you already have viconia on your team it will not update her current portrait, but if you pop this file into your over ride, then this is what you can do:

- first, put this item into your over ride folder ( this is an absolute must first )
    - next you will need to enable the cheat console, if you don't have it enabled here is how you do it:
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/952078#Comment_952078 ( go to the OP of the page )
    - once you got that enabled force viconia to leave your group (but take all of her items before you do)
    - then you will enable the cheat console and press the TAB+SPC BAR key and enable the following:
    C:CreateCreature("viconi")
    - when you enable this cheat another viconia will show up ( with her new and improved portrait ) and then you will have to do the flaming fist thing again no doubt, so finish that up and then she will join after that
    - once she joins, the game may boost her XP up to your level, or it may not, if it doesn't then you can use another cheat to catch her up to speed:
    C:SetCurrentXP("xxxxx")
    - the "x" represent the desired amount of xp you want her to have
    - do NOTE on the XP cheat, make sure ONLY viconia is selected or else everyone who is selected will gain the amount you put in
    - also another NOTE, make sure you cheat console is working before you start giving viconia the boot ( aka, when pressing TAB + SPC BAR the cheat screen comes up )

so now, with this being said every time you play a new game she will already come with her new portrait as well
    beffagorn
    edited February 2018
    I'm sure that will help others with my issue, @sarevok57 but i'm playing BG2-EE, not the first one :astonished:

I Saved before recruiting her, btw, so any solution that works only BEFORE having recruited her is perfectly fine too, if someone knows how to solve this
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @beffagorn Strange that what @Rik_Kirtaniya says doesn't work.

Using the EE-Keeper is very easy. You download it, load your save in that program and manually change Viconia's portrait. The program can help in other situations as well.
    edited February 2018

@beffagorn Strange that what @Rik_Kirtaniya says doesn't work.

Using the EE-Keeper is very easy. You download it, load your save in that program and manually change Viconia's portrait. The program can help in other situations as well.

I've downloaded EE keeper, looks easy to use but i can't find the portrait in the list after clicking "Change Portrait" Do i need to place the portrait in a specific folder so EE keeper can see it in the list?

EDIT: i managed to get the portraits to show up in EE keeper...only the only issue is that it shows only the small one. at this point i'm just giving up and using the small one, it's probably a bug with viconia and the gog version maybe, idk.
    Post edited by beffagorn on
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @beffagorn
    In the EE-Keeper you can choose any portrait from the list for a Small portrait (or for a Large Portrait), no matter if it's S, M or L.
    So if you have any of the variants of Viconia you like in the list, choose it as a Small portrait.

@beffagorn
    In the EE-Keeper you can choose any portrait from the list for a Small portrait (or for a Large Portrait), no matter if it's S, M or L.
    So if you have any of the variants of Viconia you like in the list, choose it as a Small portrait.

Yes, i figured that much out myself, problem is that the only custom portrait i see there is the small one i have placed into the override folder. The M and L are missing, even if they are in the exact same folder next to each other...
    JuliusBorisov
    it looks like EE keeper even finds the portraits that are in your portrait folder as well, so what i would do is make a "portraits" folder in your BG2 documents directory ( the same place where you find the LUA file ), put the viconiaM and L versions in there ( aka you new portraits folder ), then use EE keeper to set her small one to the M and the big one to the L
    sarevok57 said:

it looks like EE keeper even finds the portraits that are in your portrait folder as well, so what i would do is make a "portraits" folder in your BG2 documents directory ( the same place where you find the LUA file ), put the viconiaM and L versions in there ( aka you new portraits folder ), then use EE keeper to set her small one to the M and the big one to the L

I tried it, the portraits do not show in EE keeper. As i said, at this point it HAS to be a bug with the gog version and viconia/her portraits. I just gave up and i'm using the horrible default one, it's not worth wasting so much time for a solution that probably doesn't exist...
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited February 2018
    Worked fine for me just now. Try replacing yours with this one in your override folder (and delete any copies you might have in the my documents portraits folder).
    JuliusBorisov
    i managed to make it work! thanks to a mod called " Continous Viconia Appearance for BG1EE, BG2EE, SOD and EET" by Smeagolheart.

After having solved this i was curious if it was only Viconia that gives me this problem, and indeed it seems like it. I changed Edwin's portrait without any problem whatsoever, same for Dorn and others.

I still do not know where all those problems came from, but at least i've found a solution. Hope this helps if there are other people with the same issue!