Skip to content

Are the dice rolls rigged?

I’ve always wondered this about the game. I’ve sat there as a low level pc and watched double 1’s, really low and crappy rolls. Playing on a PW, I failed a save vs slow trap with a 3 like about 5 times in a row at different times. Then other times at higher level I get more crits and stuff. Or so it seems. Does anyone know if the engine actually uses a random generator for rolls or perhaps a group of number arrays set to pc CR or something?
If I charge into battle with KD, I almost always seem to succeed if I get initiative.

Comments

• FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    Random number generators are usually not random and they can suffer from some quality issues. There are methods for testing the fairness of dice rolls that are sometimes used to determine if a conventional die is no longer fair ie weighted or warped with time. It would be interesting to see something like that used in NWN and also some overall roll tracking, like tracking streaks and histogram of each value since after a while you expect it to even out.

While not NWN I've seen a lot of statistically impossible streaks happen several times a session while playing NWN2, but that was with circumstances generating many multiple saves.
  • NeverwinterWightsNeverwinterWights Member Posts: 339
    edited February 2018
    This topic came up quite a bit on the old forums. Some people who wanted supreme random superness said there were issues with the seed but most agreed that Random() in NWN is random enough. Sometimes it can seem like you are just getting crappy rolls but if you run a couple script tests in game, like one that rolls a d4 4,000 times you will see that for the most part you get each number about 25% of the time:
    void main() { object oPC = GetLastUsedBy(); int iOnes; int iTwos; int iThrees; int iFours; int iCount; for (iCount = 0; iCount < 4000; iCount++) { int iRandom = Random(4)+1; if (iRandom == 1) iOnes++; if (iRandom == 2) iTwos++; if (iRandom == 3) iThrees++; if (iRandom == 4) iFours++; } SendMessageToPC(oPC, "Ones: "+IntToString(iOnes)+"\nTwos: "+IntToString(iTwos) +"\nThrees: "+IntToString(iThrees)+"\nFours: "+IntToString(iFours)); }
    On occasion just because of chance you will roll each number 4 times in a row..or even possibly more. But over time and the more iterations it will all even out.
  • MrDamageMrDamage Member Posts: 210
    Hmmm yeah. What sparked my suspicions initially was literally years ago when my low lvl character was bashing something as I wanted to watch the rolls. I noticed that every say 2 or so minutes, I would get a double 1 roll. Very odd. I suddenly realised that here and now with all the devs lurking about and stuff is probably the best chance I’d ever get at clearing this up lol.
    Or as my old maths teacher once said.
    Today we’re going to study the science of probability, although some would argue there’s no such thing.
  • NeverwinterWightsNeverwinterWights Member Posts: 339
    edited February 2018
    I wish I remembered more about how they determined what the seed was. It's been so long and I didn't understand half of what they were talking about. Maybe something about the milliseconds and the area? But yeah might be cool if someone like maybe @niv could re-shed some light on that.
  • MrDamageMrDamage Member Posts: 210
    @Sherincall
    Wow! Thankyou very much for the explanation. That is really interesting to find out. I’m really tempted to copy and paste that into the ‘Did you know’ thread!
  • mlkent22mlkent22 Member Posts: 41
    Yes they are rigged.